Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Poll : So did the game meet you expectations?

So did the game meet you expectations?  

1,184 members have voted

1. 1. So did the game meet you expectations?

• Absolutely Yes
    • Mostly Yes
    • I feel that something was missing
    • Mostly Not
    • Absolutely Not

A lack of focus on puzzles was the real disappointment for me.

The art was really good, but so many more puzzles could have been fitted into that many painted scenes! I wanted to stay so much longer in some of those places and just "experience" them more, and having more / harder puzzles would have forced me to slow down and take my time instead of seemingly rushing from one place to the next.

Good luck with Act 2!

I voted "Mostly Not".

Narrative-heavy 2D games that involve pointing-and-clicking are readily available, and were when Tim made his comment that publishers [who can,do, and have funded narrative-heavy 2D games that involve pointing-and-clicking] would laugh in his face if he pitched a point-and-click adventure game to them. The only element that classic adventure games have other than being narrative-heavy 2D games that involve pointing-and-clicking is complex puzzles. And despite what their store page on Steam says, Broken Age didn't have them.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm not even saying it's not worth the suggested price. But I backed it for rather more than the suggested retail price, and I would not have done so if I had realized that they were planning to make a narrative-heavy 2D game that involved pointing-and-clicking-but-no-hard-puzzles.

Narrative-heavy 2D games that involve pointing-and-clicking are readily available

Such as?

Narrative-heavy 2D games that involve pointing-and-clicking are readily available

Such as?

Several of the recent games from Telltale games would fit here. I was also thinking of the hidden object adventure games available from BigFishGames, but I'll freely admit those have low production value.

I expected puzzles. I got an interactive story. The story was nice though.

I backed this game because I got tired of Telltale's catering to the casual crowd and expected the man behind DOTT, Psychonauts, Full Throttle and parts of SMI and MI2 to restore my faith in the possiblity to still create old school brain teasing adventure games with creative puzzles.

In the Kickstarter video it was implied that adventure games are dead and that Tim and his company are going to revive them. What exactly did Broken Age revive? Games like it have been made in masses in the last couple of years, by Telltale and other smaller companies.

I am not disappointed with the money I invested in this, because I got the documentary and learned a lot about how to make adventure games from Tim Schafer. Unfortunately, I feel like I took his wisdom about how to design a good, challenging, satisfying puzzle more to heart than he himself.

I'll say though that the whole rest of the game has been masterfully done. Good story that keeps me hooked for Act 2, great twist in the ending that in retrospect makes a lot of sense (just like puzzles usually should in old-school adventure games), and the art style by Nathan Stapley indeed grew on me. The puzzles are really the only aspect that leaves me disappointed, but it was the one that I was looking forward to the most.

This is a great post. I think we all took Tim's wisdom about how to design a good, challenging, satisfying puzzle more to heart than Tim himself did.

Broken Age is nothing that we haven't seen on the market in droves lately. I guess they figured that's what they should make to be considered "modern," but it's not what a lot of backers expected or wanted.

Several of the recent games from Telltale games would fit here. I was also thinking of the hidden object adventure games available from BigFishGames, but I'll freely admit those have low production value.

So... TWD, TWAU, and not much else?

I think it is a great game, but some important aspects are missing for me. I really like the fascinating atmosphere, characters, graphics and the story in this awesome surreal world . But the puzzles were way too easy and the game seemed very short, even if its just half a game. Actually i was quiet surprised that the game did not start at the end of act I along with harder puzzles i was expecting after the short "warm up". In addition i think the interface is too simple. Just clicking the left mouse button and dragging objects does not give enough options. How about a "look at" function.

To sum it up : Great game but not the difficulty and complexity I was hoping for.

So... TWD, TWAU, and not much else?

Well, I was refering to :

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/21/adventure.html

Narrative-heavy 2D games with pointing and clicking. Paid for by a publisher. Old-school adventure gameplay not included.

Kinda, felt like Tim was making a game for his daughter. He even said, if my daughter likes it I like it when talking about choosing the female character in the documentary. I still think it's a good game, but for a younger set. This fits with the puzzles. Pretty intuitive and simple.

I just was never that gripped by the setting or the needs of the characters. Though there were some beautiful moments, (the non-chosen sacrificial girl in the cloud colony, floating in space) mostly I was divorced from the situation and just clicking around.

I think I got more than my money's worth just for the documentary but just wanted to post my feedback somewhere. I hope this makes sense, I have nothing but goodwill for the team and I feel bad being negative. Good for them for fostering a place where people can communicate their thoughts. I really do look forward to playing the second half and seeing the rest of the documentary.

Mostly not

- the art style was not my cup of tea (please make the "retro gfx mode" directly available via menu, i like it better that way)

- barely a game: simplicistic puzzles, no real exploration as everyroom has barely any interactions

- if the most memorable character is a spoon, you've got a problem (and casting frodo and wesley did not help at all!)

saving grace

- the twist at the end

Daedalic are doing a better job of keeping adventure games alive...

Good luck with part II, but I am out of the backing/pre-order business.

I thought it was fantastic and really enjoyed it.

I felt that Shay's opening was a lot stronger. Vella's first two rooms are pretty dull, and also I didn't feel like the story-telling was as strong - it may be because I already knew the maiden's feast set-up from the 2PP doc, whereas a new player is supposed to get a creeping realisation of what is happening, but I never felt that moment of "oh man, the maidens are the feast?!" [edit: I've been told by a couple of people who didn't watch the doc that thus worked perfectly for them]. Plus, I didn't feel the monster was sold as super-scary and evil (I know, I know, the twist, but there are plenty of ways they could have achieved it), which again could be because I was used to seeing it.

Anyway, once I'd got past that opening, I enjoyed her side a lot more, especially coming back to it from Shay's side - the juxtaposition of barren spaceship and floaty, lively cloud city was really nice. And the ground locations were ace too. I'm a bit envious of people playing this with no knowledge of what was coming.

Overall, I was happy with the simplicity of the game. It's not full-on Lucasarts (although you could argue it's on a similar level with Full Throttle), but it has enough puzzling and inventory use to not just be a "click everywhere until stuff happens" type adventure. The only thing I would have liked was a 'look at' function separate from the 'interact' one, I really felt that was needed in some places - partly for puzzles and partly to get more of that "look at" dialogue that Tim does so well.

That's separate to the difficulty level, though - I never got stuck and rarely had to stop and ponder on a puzzle.

Finally, the presentation and story-telling was great. Looks and sounds great, plus lots of nice dialogue, characters and plot developments (especially the crossover stuff which is always cool - reminded me of those big moments in LOST).

The only reason I voted "mostly" instead of "completely" was the difficulty level - my original expectations were for a game very similar to Tim's Lucasarts classics, and this was the one area where, for me, it didn't quite hit that. Although I enjoyed the puzzles, there was rarely that extra level of complexity.

Other than that, wonderful in every respect. Really looking forward to Act Two!

The game absolutely fulfilled my expectations! First of all the visual style combined with the highly atmospheric, very emotional Disney-esque orchestral soundtrack totally blew me away! Plus I totally got addicted to Shay and Vella, both of them are just lovely! I highly enjoyed the whole journey from start to finish and was thrilled how gorgeous both of the paths are interconnected at the end of act 1.

I loved the locations and puzzles as well and the rest of the cast ranged from creepy (wolf) to just hilarious (the lumbjack) in a positive manner.

The puzzles could be a little bit more challenging, but they were ok for me. I was a relaxing and fun adventure perfect for my after-work hours. Glad to be literally a part of this gem and can't wait for act 2!

It didn't felt like an adventure game and I was expecting more from tim's writing.

I voted "Mostly not".

But as a low tier backer I think this was an awesome purchase, the documentary was awesome, and the game had some great quality stuff, only I was very hyped about Tim making a new AG.

It was a short, easy walk through a picture book. I loved the art and the voice acting but I backed a "traditional" adventure game. I think the problem is that the project grew too vast in scope, but there's an elephant in the room.

Making the puzzles so easy was a deliberate decision which went in direct opposition to what the initial backers were promised. I backed a traditional point and click adventure game and, because Tim knew he'd be dependent on extra sales to finish it, we got a tablet game. Granted, it's a tablet game made by Tim Schafer so it's 90% better than most tablet games, but that's not what I backed.

Tim was aware that people are likely to just look for the solution to puzzles on-line if they get too difficult, but I don't see that as a reason to make puzzles easier. A good puzzle is one that you CAN'T solve right away, and for those people who go straight to a guide when they can't continue, maybe that's just how they enjoy adventure games. Instead of giving people the freedom to choose when they want a hint everything in the game was simplified for the sake of those who would simply put it down and not pick it back up. The people who didn't play adventure games growing up and don't have the patience to think about a difficult problem are who this game is geared towards.

For that reason I am very unsatisfied with the game. I'm not upset with Double Fine because I've seen all the decisions they made and why they made them, and the documentary was well worth $15, but I am very disappointed with the product. By tying the success of part 2 to external sales they're ensuring that part two will cater to those same people, and the old adventure fans might be left by the wayside once more.

It was a short, easy walk through a picture book. I loved the art and the voice acting but I backed a "traditional" adventure game. I think the problem is that the project grew too vast in scope, but there's an elephant in the room.

Making the puzzles so easy was a deliberate decision which went in direct opposition to what the initial backers were promised. I backed a traditional point and click adventure game and, because Tim knew he'd be dependent on extra sales to finish it, we got a tablet game. Granted, it's a tablet game made by Tim Schafer so it's 90% better than most tablet games, but that's not what I backed.

Tim was aware that people are likely to just look for the solution to puzzles on-line if they get too difficult, but I don't see that as a reason to make puzzles easier. A good puzzle is one that you CAN'T solve right away, and for those people who go straight to a guide when they can't continue, maybe that's just how they enjoy adventure games. Instead of giving people the freedom to choose when they want a hint everything in the game was simplified for the sake of those who would simply put it down and not pick it back up. The people who didn't play adventure games growing up and don't have the patience to think about a difficult problem are who this game is geared towards.

For that reason I am very unsatisfied with the game. I'm not upset with Double Fine because I've seen all the decisions they made and why they made them, and the documentary was well worth $15, but I am very disappointed with the product. By tying the success of part 2 to external sales they're ensuring that part two will cater to those same people, and the old adventure fans might be left by the wayside once more.

+1

I think we can all agree on one thing:

Tim should give it another go and keep making adventure games!!

I think he's just a bit rusty and needs to get back in the game (and that way we get our fix too, WIN-WIN BABY)

if the question was purely about the game - I would have to say, that it was "ok" overall - but "ok" means a lot for me. Let me explain why:

Sadly I could not warming up with the graphic style. This is purely a personal thing and I can absolutely appreciate how gorgeous it is and how well crafted the whole look of BA is, but it just isn't the kind of style that I like. That said: everything else is absolutely amazing. Animations, voice-acting, sound-design, soundtrack(wow!), story, characters - everything at LEAST as great as I hoped. I did enjoy the first part of BA and I think that the game stands on its own. Therefore I would call it a success.

But (because the question ist directed at me personally) I just don't like the graphics-style and look. In this case - this is what you see most of the time and besides all the other great things - I cannot overlook that. That's the reason, why I have to say, that BA is "ok" for me. I do know that this is purely a taste thing and for many people this isn't an issue.

The other question is: Would I kickstart this thing again? Answer: without any hesitation - absolutely yes. Because of the great documentary I got to "know" the people behind the game over a pretty long time. The documentation alone is easily worth double of what I paid for the kickstarter. Plus: it helped me connecting to the game so that I could really enjoy everything - even though I'm not the biggest fan of the art style. (I hope, that Bagel isn't sad because of that. He is a great artist and I am in awe of his artistic abilities!).

So: after BA is done: keep 2PP for everything you do and I will continue throwing money at your kickstarted projects! :)

One thing let me down (one and one only): the lack of real puzzles. Therefore I voted "I feel that something was missing".

I'm sure there's still plenty of time to fix this point within the second half.

In general I liked playing the game. It has an unique art style, great music (which I mainly couldn't hear within the game, but you realize it by hearing the soundtrack), nice and unique characters and so on.

What is missing:

More puzzles, i think in all those screens there where much more opportunities for more of them. It was somtimes just too easy to get an item (talk to a person and he gives it to you). I also missed puzzle chains, where you have to combine serverel items to get the needed item.

It would be also a great idea to use the two parts and integrate different difficulty levels for Shay and Vella. For example now you learn in both worlds similar adventure game techniques, which is absolutly not necessary. You could have said, beginners should start with Shawn and all the others could choose either one. As both stories are independent, nobody would have missed something.

room for improvements:

- more and harder puzzles (there are enough screens and possibilities already in Act 1 which were just left out)

- use your engine better especially the different layers technique -> I liked the camera movements and the in depth they where generating, so use this better as done in front of the lumberjack house)

- sometimes for me there where to much close ups during the character interaction and they also cost lots of money. Maybe it makes sense to just have that for the real important ones.

- somehow the focus of the music in the game was for me wrong. The different tracks are great but during the game I could not realize that.

Anyhows thanks for the game :) I still had a lot of fun, but at the end its not a DOTT or a Grim FAndango yet. And to be honest, that was the expectation ;)

Very well written, and very close to my conclusion. Based on the kickstarter pitch, and the time spent in the documentary talking about good puzzles, I expected puzzles to be a core thing of what Tim was trying to bring back. I am very disappointed.

What I expected when I backed happened to be, quite exactly, a game like Fester Mudd, which I like very much.

The game we got is a lot more ambitious and very, very original and as a concept the story is as great as Grim Fandango. And the looks and sounds are totally stunning. So in that way it beat my expectations totally.

On the other hand, as a gaming experience, Fester Mudd was still better because its puzzle design is more refined, more challenging and still logical in a funny way. Another recent example of even better puzzle design is Machinarium. Since the puzzles in Grim Fandango and Monkey Island are great, too, it seems to me as if Tim Schafer has made some new assumptions about designing puzzles that I don't agree with. I suspect that these assumptions are related to small touch screens and I wonder if these assumptions are right, looking at a nice (but also too easy) game like Broken Sword 5 which worked very well on iPhone.

What makes Grim Fandango and Monkey Island more interesting as stories is that both feel more gritty right from the beginning. The kiddie feel of Broken Age should have some contrast right from the beginning - and quite mysteriously, the monster does not do the trick. (Or should it be Vella and Shay themselves?)Marek does, though!

^I was interested in Fester Mudd myself, can you recommend it? How is it lengthwise? The trailer makes it seem like it's very inspired by the classic Lucas 9-verb interface, so I wonder if this one really nailed it. I'm a bit put off by the episodic nature, and that there seems to be no sign of the episodes 2 and 3 in over a year or however long episode 1 has been out.

The game is absolutely not what I expected when I backed.

I expected a classic point and click adventure with crazy story and challenging puzzles.

Nevertheless I enjoyed playing it very much!

pros:

fantastic art style and atmosphere, great story and voice acting

cons:

short, very linear and not challenging at all

Can't wait for act 2.

Just finished Act 1. My two cents:

- I think the writing, performances, sound design, music, and animation are all fantastic.

- The art style wouldn't have been my first choice, but I grew to enjoy it as the game went on.

- The puzzles were surprisingly easy. I didn't really feel like I did any work at all. Almost as if I was just clicking to continue the story, which was kind of disappointing. Felt very much like it was made for young children. I think you may be underestimating your audience.

- I wonder if the production value maybe overtook the design of the actual "game." As a game I don't think I would revisit it.

- Being a backer I would say I'm VERY satisfied considering what I got for the price (Game + Documentary), and am looking forward to Act 2.

- I would also encourage another kickstarter for perhaps a lower-fi game, that put more emphasis on gameplay/puzzle-solving over graphics. I would be happy to back again.

Anyway, thanks for making it!

Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Broken Age, IMO, looks great, even stunning in some places. Same goes for the music and VO. As a package, its presentation is definitely a lot more beautiful than I expected, even after watching all the documentary episodes.

The writing is great, as expected. Overall, I had a lot more fun in the few hours of Act I than with many other, longer full-price games. The only letdown is that the puzzles are a bit too easy for my taste. But, IIRC, Act 2 is supposed to be a bit harder, and, for my taste, I prefer puzzles being a bit too easy over being too hard / illogical. That line is really, really thin for puzzles.

So... yeah, I'm very happy with what I got so far. I look forward to Act 2 and more documentary episodes. I wouldn't want to be Tim, though: When all is said and done, the story and ending of Act 2 can still completely ruin Act 1.

Ok, that's settled then. Talk about "vocal minority".

I liked the game but enjoyed the 2PP videos much more so which is weird because I like eating sausage more than seeing how it's made.

Just found the time to finally play through the game. It's not perfect, maybe. It would have been better with a bit more challenge, probably. The graphic style is not exactly my favourite. But damn: is great. Characters and story are excellent, as I rarely have seen, and the overall experience (well, half of it actually) leaves you with that feeling "I want more of this". And THAT for me, is what defines a GREAT game.

Let me compare with another ABSOLUTE masterpiece: Journey. Same story: not the perfect game, but an immense experience. Just sayin.

Sign in to follow this