Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
inolasco

[Story Suggestion] The player should feel how Shay becomes tired of the routine, but the game tells you he is from the start

I started my game choosing Shay first, and immediately recalled Tim mentioning on the documentary how the purpose of the "missions" sequence was to make you feel the need to break from the rutine. But it seemed to me that from the start the dialogue choices told me he was tired of the routine, I didn't felt it happening nor discovered it. The missions then became a chore because to me, I didn't need them to know Shay was in a routine and wanted out. Thinks like having the option to say "does it even matter?" on the food choices from the start, before I even played and replayed the missions IIRC.

With Vella, I didn't get the feeling from the start that she wants to kill the monster, she little by little build up the need, desire and means to do so, which I as the player felt. Just saying that it should be the same with Shay. Maybe some different dialogue choices from Shay, starting from cheerful and slowly becoming desensitized would be better. There's some of that in already, but I think it needs more polish to make the player truly feel it.

This might be just me, though. Maybe it's because of the documentary that I know this and had some predisposition, I wonder if someone from "outside" would feel the same way. Anyway, more [hopefully constructive] feedback to you!

I don't know... Shay is supposed to have been doing that for years, isn't he? The continous mission sequences serve to explain his attitud towards them pretty nicely, in my oppinion.

Sign in to follow this