Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Mendoza

Where did you use a hint/strategy guide? (small spoilers)

So I got stuck twice in Act 1 and had to use a guide. The first time was in the clouds where I found Gus but didn't know how to get him unstuck. The other time was when I was trying to find the weapon for Mag Chothra in Smelly Town(?).

I feel like the puzzle design didn't give any good directions on what needed to be solved.

Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't passed these puzzles yet.

IMHO, for the falling through the clouds gimmick, I would show that falling through clouds does something to whatever Vella lands on. Maybe have her land on a bouncy cloud or something. For the second puzzle, I would make it more apparent that you are CAN take art piece from Curtis. Or show that Vella really wants to take it for some reason or that it looks familiar. Having her make a joke about taking it makes it seem like it was just a joke and not part of the actual story/gameplay. Another route, would be to hint that it looks like something was fitted onto the depressed button in the temple and that it's missing.

Anyone else get stuck anywhere?

The only part that had me stumped for a while was the fight with Mog Chothra. Man I was getting frustrated (a good frustration! ;) )

But the rest of Act I was figured out pretty quickly. I'd say Shay's half was more difficult for me, but that's only because their was more to explore.

With that said, I finished it in just under 5 hours.

I was the same, actually. I got stuck on mog chothra. i just kept shooting at its eyes for a good hour.

aside from that, it was fairly simple? I think Vella had more content, it seems, but it could be due to the variety of locations. but I think that made the individual puzzles simpler, so i had easier time with it.

I got stuck right at the very beginning. Trying to find the ceremonial knife. I've clicked everything without any answers. Was stricly told not to eat the cupcakes or touch the cake. Never occured to me that clicking the cupcakes a second time would actually give me one.

Mog Chothra - Halfway stuck here. Newer saw the red thread on what I was supposed to do. Solved this by brute force. Aka click everything on everything.

The golden bird egg - This is where i got the most stuck. Tried everything, but could not get to the green egg. It was only by accident that i happened to fall through the cloud which solved this one for me.

Map weaving - I completely overlooked one of the dialogue options here, which ment that I was trying to figure out the map weaving on the wrong chart. Was thinking about the whole puzzle in a far to complex manner. When i couldnt get the correct pattern knitted, I figured I had to cut some of the existing patterns with the knife or something to remove some of the already pre-knitted areas. I wasnt expecting the puzzle to be that simple, so I overthought it.

The only time I had to cheat was with Gus.

It would never have occurred to me that falling through that hole could result in something other than the Whoopsy-bird cutscene.

This in spite of the numerous clues: I knew the peach had fallen into the nest. I knew falling through the cloud near the trunk took Vella 'downstairs'.

Finding the path to the tree also frustrated me, but I figured it out in the end:

From the beginning, I assumed Jessie was blocking the way. I thought the whole point of finding the egg was so I could clear the way to the tree.

After looking for Gus in all the wrong places, I eventually clicked the path behind Jessie, got the ladder clue, and finally tried climbing there.

Other than that, everything made sense to me.

Growing up playing all the LucasArts adventure games prepared me for this one.

(and I think that's why so many of us found the game 'too easy')

I didn't know there were peaches in the game.

I was actually looking for a seed or something to solve the puzzle.

Same. That branch doesn't look low-hanging at all to me. I tried a few time to go into the tree and maybe get a peach from up top, then gave up on it and forgot it. It also soured me a little on the game, so I looked up how to beat Mog Chothra straight away.

I gave the fruit to someone (I think it was the lumberjack) and thought that was were I had to use it to soften up the character.

When the Yorn riddle came I just didn't get it, so I looked into the steam community and found the solution.

Actually, I didn't need to look at a strategy guide at all. I figured out the solutions to the puzzles on my own!

Nope didnt use any hints.. the games dialogue was often shouting the answer to me anyway. The one but I was a little stumped for a while was what was needed for the temple... I think it was mostly because I was convinced it was the glass object and I was clicking on things wrongly... Then I went for a wander and found the answer reasonably quickly.

The only part that had me stumped for a while was the fight with Mog Chothra. Man I was getting frustrated (a good frustration! ;) )

Yep, that one kept me busy for a while as well. For quite some time I kept thinking I wasn't fast enough: I saw Mog Chothra open his mouth when I shot him in his center eye, so I figured after getting rid of some tentacle-stuff I had to do that and then immidiately after get picked up by him to shoot him in the mouth. Eventually I got so frustrated I thought 'Okay, maybe I've to try something else'. And then found the solution, allthough it was still more a lucky attempt than a well thought-over one ;)

I got stuck at the maidens feast in the beginning, trying to figure out how to get that big chunk of meat from the other girl (really, really couldn't figure it out at first). But I solved that by playing with Shay for a while and then going back, figuring it out by my self. But the only time I really got stuck was in the battle with Mog. That's when I used a guide someone had posted on these forums, because it really felt broken as I didn't understand I could use my inventory at first! If I had known I still had an inventory, I probably would have figured it out for myself though..

Considering how hard the game was bashing you over the head with clues continuously in almost every piece of dialogue, I didn't need a guide at any point.

I used a guide only once, that was with the peach riddle. And that was due to me over-thinking it way too much. I thought I had to give the pit, not the peach, to the girls. So I tried to feed the peach to everyone, trying to find a place where I could 'catch' the pit so I could give it to the blind girls. I gave a peach to Vella, lost the pit... went all the way back to Cloud Colony, gave the peach to Curtis, but he just thanked me, so I went back to the tree to get a new peach and I just got a little frustrated. Whoops. :) I felt so stupid when I learned that you just give the peach to the blind girls. Other than that I thought all the puzzles were medium to easy difficulty and I figured them all out on my own, some after a bit of trial and error. Overall my first playthrough of Act 1 was about 4,5 hours long.

The only time I had to cheat was with Gus.

It would never have occurred to me that falling through that hole could result in something other than the Whoopsy-bird cutscene.

Although I didn't use a guide, this one had me busy for a while as well. However, in trying to solve the Gus-puzzle, I already acquired the peach that I needed for the pyramid, which is why the forest and Shellmound didn't take me very long.

The spaceship puzzles I solved pretty quickly. Breaking open the boom arm controls took me longest, as I missed that there were two separate hotspots there. For a moment I thought I had to propel Grabbin’ Gary up through the trash system.

I used a guide in two spots. The first was for the Mog Chothra fight. I didn't know to use the ladder because I honestly didn't know it was spring loaded, so it never occurred to me that it would open its mouth (I kept trying to entice it with the peach, which apparently I wasn't even supposed to have in my inventory during that part).

The second was when looking for propulsion. Because apparently even though I had already clicked on the ice cream spout, I clicked it on the wrong spot so it didn't do anything. So I spent at least 15 minutes wandering around the ship aimlessly after that, got frustrated and consulted google again.

Never cheated. I never even looked at these forums until after I was done the game. I got slightly fixated on a puzzle twice in the whole game, but I never required outside help, luckily. I got stuck at the Mog Chothra battle and also at the....hmm....I can't even remember the other section. It'll come to me...

There were puzzles?

Edit: I think the fact that even with this low level of difficulty people had to use hints and guides means that if anything, the puzzles should be harder. That way those that will use guides and hints are already going to use them and those that want a head-scratcher get what they want. I mean I can't imagine a game being much easier... I think Putt-putt gave me more time to think.

When I had to try and reach the controls for the boom arm. For some reason I thought I had tried everything on the control-thing. Maybe I didn't realise there was a cover at all, and just tried things on the controls and not the cover.

Then I went all round the ship a couple of times trying to find things I could use to pry the brass off the babysized space suit, because I thought I could use it as a thinner glove to reach the controls.

Not once, and this completely defeats the purpose of the genre.

I got stuck at one part, took a nap, woke up, and solved it.

You're robbing yourself of actual gameplay by using a guide; Broken Age isn't even difficult.

I didn't use any guides. I occasionally didn't see immediately what to do, but I always switched characters at that point, and when I came back I almost always saw the answer right away.

Things that held me for the longest:

- Realising where the fruit was for the riddle

- Figuring out what to do with Mog Chothra at the end

- Bridge man at the start - I thought it would be something to do with my inventory

Most of the other things I got straight away, or I got after failing to do a couple of other ways.

Good to know that I wasn't the only one. Probably would've been stuck for a while if I didn't accidentally hit one of the tentacles, lol.

I didn't use a guide either. The solutions to all the puzzles make sense, which I guess is why some people think it's too easy.

I am usually a guy who gives up and goes out for hints. I was the guy that had the special marker hint books for old infocom games, and the guy who lost that marker and tried to use lemon juice to see the hints in the book.

I did NOT need hints with act 1, I took about 4 hours to get through it. I think I also made it through Full Throttle with no hints. This game seems closer to FT difficulty.

Missed some of the funner type puzzles from the past like the dog in the junkyard or the minefield of bunnies.

Did enjoy myself quite a bit, though. Wish it was longer, but hey, don't you always wish that of good things?

No guides. About 4 hrs play time, though I did take a couple of breaks.

The parts that gave me any pause:

1) Find the knife (Vella): Trial and errored the grandpa dialog without even even realizing why it was going to work.

2) Find the knife (Shay): Managed to explore most of the ship before I found the way to the kitchen.

3) Some kind of propulsion (Shay): Just completely overlooked the needed item several times.

4) Ladder upgrade (Vella): Spent about 15 minutes wandering around before I just started spamming inventory combinations and got it.

5) Need some kind of wood (Vella): Walked past the driftwood several times. Felt dumb.

6) Red Herring Snake (Vella): I had myself convinced that the snake was an important obstacle.

I managed to avoid some of the common problem areas. I didn't even think about the riddle -- I had literally found no other use for the peach to that point, and had noticed how odd it was that Meriloft was still accessible, which seemed like a good indication I would need it for something.

The Mog Chothra fight was a little disappointing for me because I didn't even catch on that I was freeing up Vella's arm to use an item. When I noticed "ooh, I can use an item", I spammed a few randomly, and noticed I had accidentally won.

I was the same, actually. I got stuck on mog chothra. i just kept shooting at its eyes for a good hour.

Love that. First time I play a videogame and the big red glowing eye ISN'T the weak point of the boss >: )

(Too bad I got spoiled for the Mog fight puzzle. C'est la vie...)

None? Found the game very easy, completed part 1 in one sitting in about 4.7hrs according to steam..

Had a little issue figuring out I could JUMP during the space walk and had to think hard where the peaches where but other than that it was a rather quick pace for me.

Never cheated. I never even looked at these forums until after I was done the game. I got slightly fixated on a puzzle twice in the whole game, but I never required outside help, luckily. I got stuck at the Mog Chothra battle and also at the....hmm....I can't even remember the other section. It'll come to me...

You were briefly stuck twice? :) After our discussion in the other thread, that makes me feel a bit better about my puzzle solving abilities. I never felt stuck. I didn't solve everything immediately, of course, but I never felt stuck.

Yeah. They weren't anything big. Like 5-12 minutes max. But that proves there are exceptions to every rule and everybody is different. As accustomed as I am to difficult puzzles, there's always a chance I'll get caught off guard with thinking the wrong way, like Rather Dashing in another thread when he said that it never dawned on him that all he had to do was give the bucket to the mayor, instead of doing it himself. Or you who went through the game easily. In my case I just didn't realize you had to shoot Mog's legs. I can't remember for the life of me what the other problem was....

I got stuck on the golden egg thing, i couldn`t reach it. But then I saw the ladder bottom and realized what I should do :)

I was only stuck on the golden egg thats with the "Jerk Bird", unfortunately someone in the forum spoiled the solution for me when I was trying to figure it out :P Other than that, managed to solve the rest myself (with the "Wake Up Dead Eye God" puzzle and Mog Chothra being toughies). Accidentally solved Gus's puzzle without ever meeting him though, fell through a cloud, knocked him from his branch and he flew off saying he was going to the Arcade... I was most confused...

Sign in to follow this