Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Are you satsified with the game's controls?

Are you satsified with the games controls?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satsified with the games controls?

• Yes
    • No

I am. I understand people who say the controls are too simple, and that's fair. But the people who say the controls are too clunky I just cannot understand.

I am. I understand people who say the controls are too simple, and that's fair. But the people who say the controls are too clunky I just cannot understand.

It's a tablet interface for a tablet game, not making use of any mouse-specific features like mouse-over, two different clicks and similar.

This manifests for instance in hotspots around the screen, instead of the good old text-over that was also used for funny bits when hovering over an interactable item that the old SCUMM games had (and even recent remakes), see for instance:

you get just a slight cursor change.

The best way to search the screen and highlight items properly was to Drag&Drop; items around and see if they start glowing (which I did on some screens) and the only way to see what they are was to click them and not possible at a glance (albeit the clear art style somewhat makes up for that).

You also have to *click* every time on the bottom left corner to open up the inventory, observe how this is better done for a PC Adventure game via simple Mouseover:

This kind of design paradigm also likely led to the elimination of all other verbs or possible way of interaction other than a single click (which translates into a tap) and explains some parts of the dumbed down puzzle design, although this was discussed at large over here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8341/

There were also very few (and usually large) hotspots on a single screen due to this.

The Right Mouse Button had no effect at all throughout the game and aside from having to click to open the inventory every time you had to literally click-drag an item all over the screen since just clicking triggered an Inspect, again suboptimal if you could have a "Inspect button" (say LMB) and a separate "Pick Up button" (say RMB). Another feature some recent Adventure games use is the Scroll wheel to change between verbs, but since there are no verbs it could be used for quickly switching between items without even entering the inventory.

Even Adventures with very simplistic controls like "The Dig" that generally tried to aim for a "one-click-does-all" control scheme had RMB bring up the inventory and could have benefitted from such.

That is at least some of the more obvious stuff, the entire UI is incredibly poor show for a PC game and should have been adapted to be platform specific.

We were aiming for a simple design that could work across all our platforms. That said, we do have some ideas of ways to address this feedback for PC. Still deciding which will be acted on, but we'll let you know when we do!

What is wrong with the controls? I never had a problem with them. Maybe it is hard with a trackpad?

Game controls, are too simplistic, in my opinion. It should have to have a "look at" action. For example using right click. Dragging items, also to use them is not very convenient. Generally it is too much oriented to tablets. And this belief I have is enhanced by the "drag item to use" option they used for inventory items. It is sensible to think that given the simplistic context sensitive one click interface that has been already selected, the same simple click interface would have to be used, also, when using inventory items. To elaborate further: why not to just click on an inventory item. Since it is a inventory item, the only possible action in the inventory context that applies is select it, then click on another item, or a spot, just uses the selected item, since this is the only possible action within the context of an item. After all, this would have been the full context sensitive interface, that Tim has choose to implement.

But such interface would require to implement a "change cursor to item" feature to support it in the correct way (that is click on the inventory item, the cursor changes to the item selected, and then click again on the spot/item to use/combine with your selection). Of course such implementation, does not play well on a tablet, since in this environments players wouldn't need to move any cursor, in order to use the selected item, they would just have to do two successive clicks, one on the inventory item and another one to the hot spot/ other item;so no cursor movement to see the selected item. This is why they opted the "drag item" feature, which is exactly what imposes the tablet user to move the cursor with the selected item, in order to always be aware of what he has selected.

And it's really a pity, that they choose to mimic on a pc, the exact tablet interface, since this decision, restricted any other option, they would have for a using a more complex input devices, like a pc mouse. I think, using both mouse buttons, one to interact with the object and the other to "look at" is pretty standard for today adventures. It is the simplest, someone can do.

I am suprised,on the negative direction, on how Tim and his team (Tim & team) has managed the impossible: to simplify, the simplest possible game controls (just one button click with no "look at" button), and at the same time make them more cumbersome (use of "drag item" option).

Too simple on PC. I felt like I was using one of those computers with a single keyboard button and a single mouse button.

Needs a verb coin.

Needs a verb coin.

I don't think Vella would lick the feather shoes anyway.

She damn well better. I'M her master.

I felt like the game also had too many, "Nah, I don't wanna do that..." responses, but this is typical of Shafer games. Oh well.

'tis all good for me. I've been playing modern adventure games since Sam and Max season 1 which used similar controls. no problem with it.

I think the one click system for interacting with objects is elegant and gets the job done quite nicely. It feels quite intuitive in my opinion.

I thought it was fine. Especially if your like me and like having a big mug of tea to drink as you point-n-click.

The only thing that was weird was dragging objects from the inventory. If I remember correctly, you have to click and HOLD the mouse button to move them, and I think I'm used to clicking once on the object, then again on the object I want to interact with.

Of course I got used to it very quickly, so it's a bit of a non issue really.

It's a tablet interface for a tablet game, not making use of any mouse-specific features like mouse-over, two different clicks and similar.

This manifests for instance in hotspots around the screen, instead of the good old text-over that was also used for funny bits when hovering over an interactable item that the old SCUMM games had (and even recent remakes), see for instance:

you get just a slight cursor change.

The best way to search the screen and highlight items properly was to Drag&Drop; items around and see if they start glowing (which I did on some screens) and the only way to see what they are was to click them and not possible at a glance (albeit the clear art style somewhat makes up for that).

You also have to *click* every time on the bottom left corner to open up the inventory, observe how this is better done for a PC Adventure game via simple Mouseover:

This kind of design paradigm also likely led to the elimination of all other verbs or possible way of interaction other than a single click (which translates into a tap) and explains some parts of the dumbed down puzzle design, although this was discussed at large over here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8341/

There were also very few (and usually large) hotspots on a single screen due to this.

The Right Mouse Button had no effect at all throughout the game and aside from having to click to open the inventory every time you had to literally click-drag an item all over the screen since just clicking triggered an Inspect, again suboptimal if you could have a "Inspect button" (say LMB) and a separate "Pick Up button" (say RMB). Another feature some recent Adventure games use is the Scroll wheel to change between verbs, but since there are no verbs it could be used for quickly switching between items without even entering the inventory.

Even Adventures with very simplistic controls like "The Dig" that generally tried to aim for a "one-click-does-all" control scheme had RMB bring up the inventory and could have benefitted from such.

That is at least some of the more obvious stuff, the entire UI is incredibly poor show for a PC game and should have been adapted to be platform specific.

I'm sorry, but I have to take umbrage with this. Yes, well done, you've noticed that they made the interface to by as simple as possible, so it can be used on "one button" devices. No, that doesn't mean it's "incredibly poor", it just means you spotted one of the reasons they designed it that way.

The interface is simple, easy and never obstructive. By any UI design standard, that's a GOOD interface. What's more, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's essentially the same interface as MACHINARIUM.

It sounds to me like you're missing "funny" descriptions of things, more than you're complaining about the interface. Because the interface was excellent.

Felt that the controls were simple enough for my 6 year old to get into.

Will there be controller support patched in later? It would make it easier to play on my TV.

I’m sorry, but I have to take umbrage with this. Yes, well done, you’ve noticed that they made the interface to by as simple as possible, so it can be used on “one button” devices. No, that doesn’t mean it’s “incredibly poor”, it just means you spotted one of the reasons they designed it that way.

The interface is simple, easy and never obstructive. By any UI design standard, that’s a GOOD interface. What’s more, and correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s essentially the same interface as MACHINARIUM.

It sounds to me like you’re missing “funny” descriptions of things, more than you’re complaining about the interface. Because the interface was excellent.

I'm sorry, but I have to take umbrage with this. Dragging and dropping is not an intuitive feature in point and click adventure games. Having to click on a button to open the inventory instead of having it open on mouse-over is not better. Using the scroll wheel to cycle though inventory is an excellent feature. Lastly, what's wrong with an option to look at things? It's great for delivering hints and as a tool for the player to explore the world.

The problem Starker is, as the game stands now, there ain't a whole lot in the world to actually look at. (in terms of hotspots I mean) ;)

But if they HAD put in more hotspots... I'd agree with you. I don't need the "pick up" or "lick" icons- as much fun as they would have brought to the table- but a "one click does all" is just simplifying the adventure game far too much for my liking. I think "pick up" and "look at" are the bare minimum a Tim Schafer-penned adventure game should feature.

I know there are other adventure games that have done the one click but none of the ones I've had the most fun with have.

The whole dragging thing didn't bother me one iota after I got used to it. I would prefer to have the inventory item as an icon so I can use it all over the screen, as opposed to having to go back and grab it from the inventory every time I click on something. But it's not that big of a deal.

Essentually I'm pleased with the controls. However, it happens to often that I accidentally close a dialog because I click in the upper part of the dialog choices.

I think a special end dialog button is more sufficient. Furthermore I'd love to skip single dialog lines as I always play with subtitles enabled and read faster than they speak.

I don't need the "pick up" or "lick" icons- as much fun as they would have brought to the table-

"Lick" was great fun in Mean Streets, the Tex Murphy game.

I saw that I could rebind the Open Inventory key (i) to the right mouse button.

Made it so much better.

But overall I haven't had any problems with the interface to begin with,

once I noticed the differences.

So yes, you could say I'm "satsified" with the controls.

I saw that I could rebind the Open Inventory key (i) to the right mouse button.

Made it so much better.

Yes, I'd suggest to have this as the standard binding, makes the gameplay much smoother.

Also, the drag-and-drop bothered me maybe for the first 30 minutes, but it wasn't bothering me afterwards, once I got used to it. Still, clicking an inventory item to select it and then clicking on the screen object for interaction would be nice as an alternative and feel more intuitive to many adventure gamers.

I miss the more varied options, but I can live with it. The only thing that bugged me a fair amount was the dragging touch-control style of the inventory item interactions.

It took me a while to get used to the dragging method as that wasn't very intuitive to me but I got used to it after a while. I think the controls for the most part were fine to be honest and it didn't spoil the enjoyment for me.

I like it a lot. Brought back memories of The Dig, which is always a good thing.

The only thing I'm really missing is an option to "examine" things and people instead of using immediately the default action, but I can see why it was left out... although I don't necessarily agree with it :P

It was a bit of a surprise that you had to drag items, but I got used to it, no biggie.

Clicking-and-dragging is annoying, as is having to click to open the inventory. The inventory should pop up when you hover over it, items should be selectable with a single left click (no holding or dragging), and right click should be used to examine inventory items.

What is wrong with the controls? I never had a problem with them. Maybe it is hard with a trackpad?

Game controls, are too simplistic, in my opinion. It should have to have a "look at" action. For example using right click. Dragging items, also to use them is not very convenient. Generally it is too much oriented to tablets. And this belief I have is enhanced by the "drag item to use" option they used for inventory items. It is sensible to think that given the simplistic context sensitive one click interface that has been already selected, the same simple click interface would have to be used, also, when using inventory items. To elaborate further: why not to just click on an inventory item. Since it is a inventory item, the only possible action in the inventory context that applies is select it, then click on another item, or a spot, just uses the selected item, since this is the only possible action within the context of an item. After all, this would have been the full context sensitive interface, that Tim has choose to implement.

But such interface would require to implement a "change cursor to item" feature to support it in the correct way (that is click on the inventory item, the cursor changes to the item selected, and then click again on the spot/item to use/combine with your selection). Of course such implementation, does not play well on a tablet, since in this environments players wouldn't need to move any cursor, in order to use the selected item, they would just have to do two successive clicks, one on the inventory item and another one to the hot spot/ other item;so no cursor movement to see the selected item. This is why they opted the "drag item" feature, which is exactly what imposes the tablet user to move the cursor with the selected item, in order to always be aware of what he has selected.

And it's really a pity, that they choose to mimic on a pc, the exact tablet interface, since this decision, restricted any other option, they would have for a using a more complex input devices, like a pc mouse. I think, using both mouse buttons, one to interact with the object and the other to "look at" is pretty standard for today adventures. It is the simplest, someone can do.

I am suprised,on the negative direction, on how Tim and his team (Tim & team) has managed the impossible: to simplify, the simplest possible game controls (just one button click with no "look at" button), and at the same time make them more cumbersome (use of "drag item" option).

The game does have a look at function for items, it is how you solve a puzzle for Shay. You also hit I for inventory, you don't have to click the button.

Clicking-and-dragging is annoying, as is having to click to open the inventory. The inventory should pop up when you hover over it, items should be selectable with a single left click (no holding or dragging), and right click should be used to examine inventory items.

I don't really understand this complaint, is it to taxing on your to click and drag? Do you have some disability that makes it difficult?

I'm sorry, but I have to take umbrage with this. Dragging and dropping is not an intuitive feature in point and click adventure games. Having to click on a button to open the inventory instead of having it open on mouse-over is not better. Using the scroll wheel to cycle though inventory is an excellent feature. Lastly, what's wrong with an option to look at things? It's great for delivering hints and as a tool for the player to explore the world.

I appreciate what you're saying, but not one of your points means the game has a "poor" interface. Dragging and dropping has been a feature of mouse-driven applications since almost the beginning of the mouse. I personally don't like dragging and dropping, and agree it would be better if I could click to select something, but that doesn't mean the interface is bad in any way. It's just personal preference.

If you're a fan of adventure games, you'll know that there are a ton of "classic" adventure titles with TERRIBLE interfaces. (Did you ever play UNIVERSE...? Yikes!) A bad interface actually stops you from doing the thing you want to do, because you have to pause and try and remember HOW the game wants you to do it. BROKEN AGE never did this. The interface is completely intuitive -- as proven by the fact that there are no posts complaining about how confusing the controls were.

You may not like them, you may think they're too simplistic, but that does not mean the interface is POOR. (In fact, the more simplistic the interface, generally the better it's considered to be.)

Finally: More hints? This game didn't need any more hints!

We backed a classic point and click adventure game, we got a tablet game.

How do you figure? It works perfectly fine on a PC. You are just upset because they changed the controls from a game you liked 20 years ago?

Sign in to follow this