Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Are you satsified with the game's controls?

Are you satsified with the games controls?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satsified with the games controls?

• Yes
    • No

I really, really, really, missed the option to have an "examine" button to accompany the "interact" button. I want to be able to hear a description of a thing before using the thing.

They'd need to incorporate a LOT more hotspots for a "look" button to be worthwhile. Putting one in now with what's currently selectable wouldn't add much.

That isn't what he said, this game isn't designed for tablets. It is designed for PC.

I can prove this argument false with one sentence and it should never be brought up again. Tablets can click too.

End of argument. It was a design decision that had nothing to do with phones/tablets.

You haven't proven anything. Tablets can't right-click. If they could, they would have kept the old tried-and-true control scheme. The entire game is designed around one mouse button. That's it. You can play the entire game with one button. If that's not striving for tablet-compatibility I don't know what is. There's a lot you could have done with a right click function, be it a dedicated separate look interaction or something else. Now you can set the RMB to do one of the other actions like bring up the inventory or skip dialog, but that is entirely optional and not required to play the game. The only required control is the LMB.

Tablets only have one button: your finger. To drive this point home, the reason you have to drag around the inventory items is because that's what people do on tablet devices to move things around. You don't tap the object and then tap its destination, you tap+hold and drag then release. Again, Greg has said that the controls were designed for compatibility across multiple platforms. That is, multiple platforms that may not have a keyboard or mouse. iOS and Android are listed in Broken Age's supported platforms list along with Mac, Windows, and Linux. Those five are the main platforms. Seeing as Windows, Mac, and Linux all support mice, the only other platforms that would give reason for cross-compatibility would be iOS and Android. That means these two are DIFFERENT from the former three. Tablets can click, but they only have one button which severely limits the possibilities compared to two.

So you're wrong.

Wrong again, why do you just keep talking out of your ass? You double tap or long press.

No where near as intuitive as clicking a RMB and is definitely not utilized in any commercial tablet adventure games that I've played. Scummvm doesn't count. Also, both Tim's and Greg's quotes still trump your twisted logic.

Seeing as your intent is just to be argumentative, rude, and insulting you're no longer worth my time. Go ahead and take the last word, if it pleases you.

I absolutely loved the story and the graphics and found the puzzles a little too easy but in general OK. HOWEVER, I very much disliked the controls. I play on the PC and not a tablet, so I don't like to be treated as if I were using a tablet.

Things I would like to see and that I think would GREATLY improve the game

- a "Look at" feature for the right mouse button

- a better hover feature for cursor - so I have a clearer indication what will happen when I click somewhere

- an inventory at the top or bottom of the screen - or a mouse wheel activated one

- no weird dragging of items from the inventory

In addition a very minor thing that bothered me:

- Please, no indication of tone in the subtitles. I found that really distracting. Or maybe leave the capitalization out for those and use some other graphics cue.

Capitilization was in even the earliest adventure games. I'm surprised anyone would find it distracting. Don't play Beneath a Ssteel Sky whatever you do. ;)

I absolutely loved the story and the graphics and found the puzzles a little too easy but in general OK. HOWEVER, I very much disliked the controls. I play on the PC and not a tablet, so I don't like to be treated as if I were using a tablet.

Things I would like to see and that I think would GREATLY improve the game

- a "Look at" feature for the right mouse button

- a better hover feature for cursor - so I have a clearer indication what will happen when I click somewhere

- an inventory at the top or bottom of the screen - or a mouse wheel activated one

- no weird dragging of items from the inventory

In addition a very minor thing that bothered me:

- Please, no indication of tone in the subtitles. I found that really distracting. Or maybe leave the capitalization out for those and use some other graphics cue.

You can set any key to the inventory key.

I thought the controls were good, nice and simple as not to get in the way of the game.

I can see that some people might have wanted a more old school interface, but with too many ways to interact you end up with just getting confused with which is the correct action.

This way its all about the objects themselves and just interacting, keeps the pacing just right so you don't get bogged down in the "verbs".

There appear to be three distinct schools of thought when it comes to what people want for controls in a Point and Click Adventure Game

1) Single click does everything - Lets call this the Tablet way

2) Left click performs whatever relevant action right click performs the look action - Lets call this the Daedlic way

3) Press and hold for menu - Lets call this the Verb Coin way

Now each method has its pros and cons and I'm not going to even say which way is "best" (because really there isn't any one best way just different ways it can work), However, I will say that for people who are looking for a more immersive experience (like myself) the Verb Coin is always going to win out because it simply offers the most choice to interact with the environment. Through this wider variety of interaction we get more possibilities for things like funny dialog, easter eggs, more elaborate puzzles, etc...

As an aside I will say that I while I liked Broken Aged Act 1 I found it too easy to complete in a single sitting. How much of that was interface and how much of it was puzzle design (are they distinct issues?) I'm not sure.

I have to agree, it was very easy to complete.

Maybe in Act 2 they will ramp up the difficulty.

There are some old men who stopped playing computer games in the 90s who expect controls to be the same but they are a minority I think
LOL.

I´m mid-thirties btw.

And NO ONE wanted a verb controlled game again.

Well.. it would be a nice easter egg ;-)

BUT modern adventure games with two mouse button controls, point and click (not click-hold-drop) are so much more comfortable and enjoyable to play on a PC in my eyes than BA.

Mostly yes.

I wouldn't have minded having a few verbs to make the puzzles a bit harder, but the one unified action key/click also works just fine too.

I was fine with the controls. They were intuitive and unobtrusive.

If you want to argue that one-click is oversimplified/limiting, well... an exclusive "look"-button might be neat.

That said, I don't think the simple interface is the main contributor to the simplicity of the gameplay. Off the top of my head, a list of games with an look/interact right/left click interface include Beneath a Steel Sky, the first two Broken Sword games, the Discworld games, The Dig, Toonstruck - none of which are usually accused of being too easy or overly simplified. It is perfectly possible to build complex puzzle design on top of a simple interface. And the "lack" of an exclusive "look"-feature in Broken Age doesn't reduce that ability in any meaningful way (again, there may be a couple of occasions in the aforementioned games where looking at an object is critical to further manipulation, but I'd say they're in a fairly small minority). Hell, we get inventory combination, which isn't a given, these days - it's just rather simple given the general low amount of items and pretty straight-forward uses of it.

However you feel about it, the complexity (or lack of) of the puzzles is a product of, well, the puzzle design. Not the interface.

Now, the "use by dragging" rather than "click object 1, click object 2"? At the risk of seeming confrontational, I am literally incapable of understanding how anyone can find this problematic. It just represents such a miniscule change, it has absolutely no impact on anything. "They only changed it so it works better on tablets" - ...so? The fact that this could in any way have a negative impact on anyone's experience - beyond "this isn't how '90s adventure games did it", which, don't get me started - is baffling to me.

Also, this isn't quite the place for it, but just because I haven't really posted about it anywhere else (I've basically posted next to nothing the entire time I've been here - a lurker is me, I guess): I enjoyed the first act of Broken Age. It's not flawless. I liked the atmosphere and writing. I would have liked a bit more complexity in the puzzle department. But the ending left me very much wanting to see what happens next, and I'm reserving judgment on the overall puzzle experience for when I've played the entire game. Actually, I'm reserving judgment on a lot of things, until I've seen the whole enchilada. So for right now: I enjoyed it. And for now, that's enough.

ETA: Also, man... Apparently I compensate for the mostly-lurking by just going on and on and on when I finally do post...

I wish the inventory was on the top of the screen instead of the bottom, left hand corner millimeters away from my start button.

Are you playing in Full Screen? Note: Not maximized window mode. Does your Status bar show up on top of the game this way? That's too bad.

I liked it! I don't like games where you have to try a bunch of different verbs on everything to see if anything new happens.

The only extra thing I would have liked is a way to use objects in conversation mode. As it stands I found it a tiny bit illogical to have to be not talking to a character when I had a thing to give them.

This is no deal breaker and for the most part the interface just gets out of your way and lets you immerse yourself in the game. For me this is a very good thing indeed (And good user experience design)

I found it partially satisfying, with a sour note in two chords:

1. DRAGGING. Touch screens aren't exactly reliable in that area, neither are touchpads, or even mice at times. I accidentally dropped the used item while trying to drag it onto a target object. I'd definitely prefer a two-click system - click item in inventory, have it stick to cursor, click it on a destination.

2. INVENTORY OVERLAY. Many times I was just trying to click some hotspot at the bottom of the screen, only to see the inventory pop up instead. There shouldn't be hotspots so close to the bottom left corner of the screen (exits in clouds, fish chowder, etc)

I think it works well using either a mouse or a touch screen. I can imagine it is a little bit frustrating if you only have a touchpad though.

I do hope they change/fix the problem/bug where you issue a move command sometimes when you click on the inventory corner.

I would like an input method that works well with touchpads. For example, selecting an inventory object with a click and then clicking on the scene to use it would be a good solution for both mouse and touchpad interfaces.

I answered "satisfied" because they do work fairly transparently, but maybe theyre not all they could be on PC. Im sure these have been pointed out before (but not reading through this whole thread)

*having to click to open inventory felt a little awkward, when you usually just mouse over

*a little sad not be able to look. single touch could have been look and double interact...or something. but we knew about this since before.

*dragging is awkward with touch imho

*inventory icons are a little small, some objects are hard to tell what they are

no big problems. but it does seems strange that a UI person/expert was brought in just for this? or what did that guy do?

Im happy its not like the monkey island remake or BASS on mobile. those were a nightmare. Id rather be a little limited on PC than having to go through that on mobile.

I am curious if anyone has played Machinarium. Now that is a game with bad controls.

I don't remember the controls for that being bad? I don't actually remember what they were at all. I do remember having a problem with the hint book, I didn't realise that you could shoot in the horizontal scroller minigame! But otherwise I just remember it being pretty intuitive?

Verb coins, now that's something that really bugged me! So glad BA didn't have those! :)

Just an update for those who didn't like the Drag controls -- you can now use the click on item, click on destination (Click mode). I believe it's the default right now, but if not, check your controls in the Options.

Other controls-related improvements in RC8:

- The inventory will open when you mouse over the tab and autoclose after a bit if the mouse is nowhere near it

- The inventory open/close button has been mapped to right-click by default for PC/Linux and Shift on Mac

- You can now set your mouse sensitivity (caveat: some Linux users have reported bugs with this and we're looking into them now)

- You can press 1-4 instead of clicking on the dialog tree options

- There's now an icon next to an item you have selected that will suggest what happens when you next click (a magnifying glass will perform a "Look At" or "Examine" and a little plus will indicate that you're going to get a response from combining it with the other item in your inventory). When there is no icon, it means you'll use it on the highlighted object in the scene.

Let us know if you've run into any bugs and what you think of the changes :D!

Let us know if you've run into any bugs and what you think of the changes :D!

These are all great. Just gave it a test run and the game is much more PC-friendly now. Thanks for all the hard work!

The ability to select dialogue options with numbers alone is a great convenience.

I know you guys have a lot on your plate, but maybe you might consider a few more "nice to have" features...

1) When you click on an item in the inventory and then try to use it on something in the world, perhaps the cursor could stay as that item so you could use it on multiple things in succession without having to select the item from the inventory each time. You could cancel it with one of the keys mapped to the other functions.

2) An option to switch the inventory bar with the main menu bar so that the inventory would be on top and the main menu on the bottom.

3) Using the scroll wheel to cycle though available inventory objects.

I think a small reminder for newbies like you can look at item, you can combine item would do wonders. But people that bought this game are probably no adventure game newbies.

Otherwise controls were smooth and intuitive for me. Love to see how this works on a tablet :D

I noticed that the small inventory triangle lights up when you get an item. But what I'd like to see is the item bar to pop up, then show that the item appears in it, and then close again. Would make it a lot more clear that your inventory is down there, as I myself missed the cue the first time I picked up something in the game.

Besides that, I found the control scheme as good as it can get for a tablet based game. The adjustments mentioned by Anna above sound like they do away with all my complaints, too. So that's nice.

I'd like skip-by-lines instead of just skipping the whole scene, too, as has been mentioned above by other posters.

One more thing that irritated me is that I couldn't control when Vella/Shay would actually start running. They'd randomly run if the distance was far or something. I'd prefer double-click = run.

I didn't have an issue with the original controls, but the new click UI is a big improvement (since you can either click or drag). Great job on that.

I don't think the inventory should open every time you get a new item... maybe just for the first item you pick up in the game. Otherwise it'd be a "YOU GOT A RUPEE!" annoyance like in Zelda.

Sign in to follow this