Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Are you satsified with the game's controls?

Are you satsified with the games controls?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satsified with the games controls?

• Yes
    • No

We backed a classic point and click adventure game, we got a tablet game.

How do you figure? It works perfectly fine on a PC. You are just upset because they changed the controls from a game you liked 20 years ago?

Snake works perfectly fine on a PC too, but that doesn't mean it isn't a phone game.

The PC is capable of much more than a tablet. This game was dumbed down to be optimized for a tablet. It was not optimized for PC.

We backed a classic point and click adventure game, we got a tablet game.

How do you figure? It works perfectly fine on a PC. You are just upset because they changed the controls from a game you liked 20 years ago?

Snake works perfectly fine on a PC too, but that doesn't mean it isn't a phone game.

The PC is capable of much more than a tablet. This game was dumbed down to be optimized for a tablet. It was not optimized for PC.

How was it dumbed down? You think snake was dumbed down to be playable on a PC? Snake is an arcade game, it wasn't dumbed down.

This game works great, I guess some grumpy old men miss their 1990s controls and find it easier on their arthritic fingers to just click once but most healthy adults have no problems with these controls.

This game works great, I guess some grumpy old men miss their 1990s controls and find it easier on their arthritic fingers to just click once but most healthy adults have no problems with these controls.

Hey now. I am a young woman with arthritic fingers. I did find it kinda bothersome to click down and drag for few seconds at a time, but I still liked the streamlined controls.

Regardless, please don't use people's (entirely theoretical) body conditions as an insult just because someone doesn't share your opinion.

Hey now. I am a young woman with arthritic fingers. I did find it kinda bothersome to click down and drag for few seconds at a time, but I still liked the streamlined controls.

Regardless, please don't use people's (entirely theoretical) body conditions as an insult just because someone doesn't share your opinion.

I know most people here don't have arthritis I was just making a joke.

We were aiming for a simple design that could work across all our platforms. That said, we do have some ideas of ways to address this feedback for PC. Still deciding which will be acted on, but we'll let you know when we do!

My only problem with it is the "space to skip". I found myself more than once torn apart by the existential dilemma of moving my hand back to the keyboard or just letting the cut scene repeat itself.

The old schema of clicking both buttons to skip was fine by me, perhaps you guys could bring it back? (Of course, you could maintain space).

I don't really understand this complaint, is it to taxing on your to click and drag? Do you have some disability that makes it difficult?

If you accidentally slip off the button, you "lose" the item and have to go grab it again. An old habit of mine is to take an item and hover it in the center of the screen while I think about where it might be useful, and so I periodically had the item "slip out of my fingers" due to absent-mindedness.

It's not a herculean task or effort, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be significantly less efficient than a decades-old control scheme in order to be annoying.

Can someone explain to me what the issue with clicking and dragging is? Is this a Windows thing or what exactly is the problem there? Are Windows users not really used to click and drag? (Whenever I used click and drag on that platform it wasn’t universally useful or consistent, so I can understand why Windows users would not be used to click and drag.) Clicking and dragging is one of my favourite UI gestures and the way it works in Broken Age is pretty great.

It all makes for an extremely consistent interface that is not confusing and very easy to pick up. Clicking is for looking at or using certain things (which can be picking them up talking to them, …), clicking and dragging is for combining things (either in the inventory or the world).

The different ways of doing that make it very clear that those two are distinct actions that cannot really be confused with each other, something that would be a lot less clear if a combine-click (e.g. with the RMB) would be added.

That’s all super-consistent and well done. In general I though that the UI was super-great. (I especially loved all the button sounds. It’s super satisfying to click buttons in that game.) Personally I also have a bit of a distaste for hover-over controls. They are a bit twitchy and the inventory just popping up when you hover over it would be super annoying. The inventory does respect Fitt’s law (it’s an infinitely big target since it’s at the edge of the screen – even better, the corner of the screen, exact targeting of the mouse not necessary), so all you have to do to open it is jam your mouse to the bottom left, exact direction doesn’t matter, and then just click. It’s a diagonal swipe with the mouse or trackpad, never fails, super-convenient. (One benefit players of the mobile version of this game won’t have, by the way. Scandal! It’s optimised for playing with the mouse, not on a touchscreen!)

Some convenience additions would be great (like opening the inventory with RMB by default, not just with i) but other than that I though the UI was pretty well done.

It's more like adventure gamers aren't used to clicking and dragging. In the old classic adventures you just click once to select and click again on the destination to interact. That's easier on the hand muscles than holding the button down and dragging stuff everywhere. The game wasn't that bad in this respect I admit, but that's another issue (not enough interactivity). If there was more to do there would be more dragging and there would be a lot more complains, namely from me as well.

The interface is nicely intuitive, I agree. It's just a minor nuisance to have to hold a button down a lot.

And again, you can reconfigure all the controls to the mouse if you wanted, so those complaints are non-issues.

It's more like adventure gamers aren't used to clicking and dragging. In the old classic adventures you just click once to select and click again on the destination to interact. That's easier on the hand muscles than holding the button down and dragging stuff everywhere. The game wasn't that bad in this respect I admit, but that's another issue (not enough interactivity). If there was more to do there would be more dragging and there would be a lot more complains, namely from me as well.

The interface is nicely intuitive, I agree. It's just a minor nuisance to have to hold a button down a lot.

I don’t think that argument makes a lot of sense. I doubt there are any real downsides, i.e. it’s all in your head. Dragging and dropping is not an onerous task. Also, a combine-button would be confusing, especially since the game eschews verbs otherwise.

No, it's not in my head. Some people have real issues with this.

Also, I said nothing about a combine button.

But you do want a combine button. LMB is look/use, so if you want to use an inventory item with something else (either in the world or in the inventory) you would need to add a combine button. You can’t use the look/use button for that.

I thought it was fine. Especially if your like me and like having a big mug of tea to drink as you point-n-click.

The only thing that was weird was dragging objects from the inventory. If I remember correctly, you have to click and HOLD the mouse button to move them, and I think I'm used to clicking once on the object, then again on the object I want to interact with.

Of course I got used to it very quickly, so it's a bit of a non issue really.

Me too... I just keep clicking on inventory items to "select" them instead of drag them out the inventory all the time. But I understand that the drag around is more suited for touchscreen, so it's ok :)

Clicking and dragging can be annoying on laptops, especially with newer touchpads that integrate buttons in panel instead of having dedicated buttons below. Still doable though.

Otherwise I don't have any gripe with controls. But cursors could definitely be smaller.

No, it's not in my head. Some people have real issues with this.

Also, I said nothing about a combine button.

But you do want a combine button. LMB is look/use, so if you want to use an inventory item with something else (either in the world or in the inventory) you would need to add a combine button. You can’t use the look/use button for that.

That doesn't require a combine button. If look was RMB it wouldn't be an issue. There are ways around it by changing the interface. I agree there's no other way to do it for the CURRENT interface, being designed to be tablet-friendly, but tablet controls are annoying with a mouse, and vice versa, honestly.

I think that’s a specious argument that makes little sense. There is nothing whatsoever annoying about that interface. It’s super consistent, super easy.

In your opinion. Yes, it's easily intuitive. I stated as much. But holding down a mouse button is annoying for some people. I think it's annoying, but not enough to complain about it. Others do, they have muscle problems. It's not an invalid argument just because you say it isn't.

In your opinion. Yes, it's easily intuitive. I stated as much. But holding down a mouse button is annoying for some people. I think it's annoying, but not enough to complain about it. Others do, they have muscle problems. It's not an invalid argument just because you say it isn't.

Then they should get disability software/devices instead of complaining about the controls of a video game. If you can't perform a basic mouse operation than the problem is you not the controls. Sorry but that is how it is.

You can reconfigure "Space to Skip" to "Right-Click" or "Middle-Click to Skip" quite easily in the options.

Well, do I feel embarrassed now...

So yeah, no complains, controls are fine :P

I do find it especially annoying that the folks who seem to think this interface is great say, essentially, "what do u hav muskel porblems lol".

It's worth considering that the adventure game is one of a fairly small subset of video game genres that can be accessible to people who legitimately do have various disabilities.

It took me all of 5 seconds to get used to click-and-drag for the inventory objects, so I think it's okay as it is at the moment. Still, I wouldn't mind to see a "left click once to pick up and left click again to drop, right click is examine" option for interacting with inventory objects.

I do find it especially annoying that the folks who seem to think this interface is great say, essentially, "what do u hav muskel porblems lol".

It's worth considering that the adventure game is one of a fairly small subset of video game genres that can be accessible to people who legitimately do have various disabilities.

And I am sure that those types of people have software to assist them in the daily use of their computer.

For everyone else get use to it, this isn't 1990 anymore. So what something changed? The most annoying thing about the hardcore niche fans is that they always demand everything to be exactly the same. Starcraft players actually were against auto minding and multiple building select and auto cast in Starcraft 2.

Nobody is being as obstinate about it as you seem to think they are.

If drag and drop means the controls are bad to you then you are being very stubborn.

What is wrong with the controls? I never had a problem with them. Maybe it is hard with a trackpad?

Game controls, are too simplistic, in my opinion. It should have to have a "look at" action. For example using right click. Dragging items, also to use them is not very convenient. Generally it is too much oriented to tablets. And this belief I have is enhanced by the "drag item to use" option they used for inventory items. It is sensible to think that given the simplistic context sensitive one click interface that has been already selected, the same simple click interface would have to be used, also, when using inventory items. To elaborate further: why not to just click on an inventory item. Since it is a inventory item, the only possible action in the inventory context that applies is select it, then click on another item, or a spot, just uses the selected item, since this is the only possible action within the context of an item. After all, this would have been the full context sensitive interface, that Tim has choose to implement.

But such interface would require to implement a "change cursor to item" feature to support it in the correct way (that is click on the inventory item, the cursor changes to the item selected, and then click again on the spot/item to use/combine with your selection). Of course such implementation, does not play well on a tablet, since in this environments players wouldn't need to move any cursor, in order to use the selected item, they would just have to do two successive clicks, one on the inventory item and another one to the hot spot/ other item;so no cursor movement to see the selected item. This is why they opted the "drag item" feature, which is exactly what imposes the tablet user to move the cursor with the selected item, in order to always be aware of what he has selected.

And it's really a pity, that they choose to mimic on a pc, the exact tablet interface, since this decision, restricted any other option, they would have for a using a more complex input devices, like a pc mouse. I think, using both mouse buttons, one to interact with the object and the other to "look at" is pretty standard for today adventures. It is the simplest, someone can do.

I am suprised,on the negative direction, on how Tim and his team (Tim & team) has managed the impossible: to simplify, the simplest possible game controls (just one button click with no "look at" button), and at the same time make them more cumbersome (use of "drag item" option).

The game does have a look at function for items, it is how you solve a puzzle for Shay. You also hit I for inventory, you don't have to click the button.

Did you find any complaint about having to click to open the inventory, in my post? My complaints are on the drag item feature, and the lack of right click for looking at!

Nobody is being as obstinate about it as you seem to think they are.

If drag and drop means the controls are bad to you then you are being very stubborn.

I said it was a minor nuisance. I wouldn't have brought it up if this thread didn't exist. I'm not expecting DF to change it.

The controls is probably a good thing. It is 2014 now so it would be strange to make a game and not design it for ipad and android. I also do not think a one-click interface hurts the game, Broken Age problems is more other things.

So, I mapped the inventory to right click -- that seemed like the best option. I think inventory items should be sticky once clicked, since holding and dragging seems incredibly unnatural on PC.

Also, a possibly actual bug:

It was possible to map the "retro mode" to the middle mouse button, but it did not work.

Also consider the "spacebar to skip" feature. I remember DF having backers to vote which button they prefer for skipping. The answer was esc by far with spacebar coming second miles behind. Though DF decided to use spacebar. Why? Does it has, to do with the lack of esc on tablets? I am joking, of course, since, i do not find possible that you woukd have to use the virtual keyboard to play the game. But it is indicative, of DFs, stubornness to persistently ignore backers suggestions. Exactly, the same happened with the difficulty of the game, where backers vote was in favor of a lengthy and challenging game. Did you see it?

Then again, you can configure your own controls, so...

Also, Act II is supposed to be harder...lets reserve final judgment until after that point. I think we've made it clear by now that Act I was terribly easy. Whether it was as easy as they wanted it or far more than they anticipated remains to be seen. Either way, I believe our feedback was seen. Now lets see what happens.

Sign in to follow this