Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Are you satsified with the game's controls?

Are you satsified with the games controls?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satsified with the games controls?

• Yes
    • No

^The way I imagine it is that it just swipes up, the item appears, and it goes down again, in one quick motion. It wouldn't interrupt anything like the example you gave.

^The way I imagine it is that it just swipes up, the item appears, and it goes down again, in one quick motion. It wouldn't interrupt anything like the example you gave.

This is a scheme we tried, actually, but it felt kind of gratuitous and intrusive after the first time or so. I toyed with the idea of doing that just the first time you get an item, but no one seemed to have any trouble understanding the inventory so it didn't seem necessary and avoided inconsistency.

I'd like skip-by-lines instead of just skipping the whole scene, too, as has been mentioned above by other posters.

We had an early line skipping system but took it out because the game was made to look janky and here's why. Unlike in SCUMM games, most of the lines in Broken Age are pronounced in fully animated cinematic sequences, where animators have control over the timing of the lines through animation and there are camera moves and sounds and music and VFX etc firing. It is non-trivial to implement a system where you just skip through to a certain point in the cutscene, playing all the preceding events correctly and without odd artifacts. There are also long stretches where no lines are fired and it seems weird to only be able to partially skip cutscenes based on lines playing. It's hard to justify having a system that lets the player see all our work in an essentially crippled state (meaning, that the cutscene would not play out as ours animators intended, even with the technical side solved) and also ensure that everything looks great when you skip every line in the game. In short, skipping lines has hidden costs for us and I think you guys would probably rather we focused on making Act 2. :D

One more thing that irritated me is that I couldn't control when Vella/Shay would actually start running. They'd randomly run if the distance was far or something. I'd prefer double-click = run.

We did try double click to run during development. Our artists were horrified at how the run looked at close quarters. Given that we already have fast travel to doors and that the walk speed adjusts based on distance anyway (within reason) so that the player never has to worry about it, we decided against it. Interestingly, many of our play testers thought we had double click to run in the game, because the character seemed to move at the faster speed when double clicking somewhere, but we might have missed polishing the speed in a particular area. Is there a place you felt Vella or Shay moved particularly slowly?

^Thank you for your detailed answers, Anna!

@Pop-up Inventory: If you found out it works with playtesters, then that is fine. It was probably just me because my experience told me right click would summon the inventory, but I found it with no trouble, just enough delay though, that I wondered if other players would find it too. Seems like they do, so that's fine then.

@Line skipping: Yes, that's a perfectly valid reason for me at least, I can understand that implementing this feature would take more work than it's worth seeing how cutscenes are much more complicated than older games, so I like your suggestion to focus on Act II instead ;D

Just out of curiosity though, did you consider implementing something like faster playback on a press of a key? I've seen this in various other games, and I thought it worked quite well, as you could skip as far as you wanted and then release the "skip" key to resume the cutscene at regular speed. As said, I'm just curious if you considered or experimented with such a mechanic, I assume it's not as trivial as it sounds either.

@Fast running: I did not encounter any situations where Vella/Shay moved particularly slowly, yet it seemed the threshold distance for the faster speed was quite high, as I could never run at will, Vella just sometimes did. (I don't recall Shay running ever, even though I spent a lot of time in his half walking across rooms, but maybe my memory fools me here.) Maybe double-click to run, but require a minimum distance? Or reduce the distance threshold? Either way, if it stays like it is, I wouldn't mind personally, as the walking speed is fast enough. It just bugged me a bit that the running animation seemed to be triggered at random/some arbitrary and rare threshold, rather than at user control.

- There's now an icon next to an item you have selected that will suggest what happens when you next click (a magnifying glass will perform a "Look At" or "Examine" and a little plus will indicate that you're going to get a response from combining it with the other item in your inventory). When there is no icon, it means you'll use it on the highlighted object in the scene.

Hi Anna,

I haven't played the game after the suggested updates, so I do not know if I am talking nonsense, but, wouldn't it be better and more straightforward to the player, to have the cursor change in the shape of the selected object, instead of implementing this?

Your implementation sounds a little bit cumbersome, though I do not want to be strict since I haven't tested it yet.

It does. But there's also a magnifying glass on top of it, if hovering over the spot where the item used to be before clicking it. It disappears when hovering elsewhere and it's just the item instead as a cursor.

It does. But there's also a magnifying glass on top of it, if hovering over the spot where the item used to be before clicking it. It disappears when hovering elsewhere and it's just the item instead as a cursor.

OK thanks, for the clarification. It sounds handy.

As a twenty-something who LEARNED HOW TO READ by playing classic adventures like the Secret of Monkey Island, I greatly desire more verbs in my point-and-click interface.

As a twenty-something who LEARNED HOW TO READ by playing classic adventures like the Secret of Monkey Island, I greatly desire more verbs in my point-and-click interface.

At least you can practice your reading skills by turning on the subtitles.

@Pop-up Inventory: If you found out it works with playtesters, then that is fine. It was probably just me because my experience told me right click would summon the inventory, but I found it with no trouble, just enough delay though, that I wondered if other players would find it too. Seems like they do, so that's fine then.

We went ahead and mapped the right-click to show the inventory in the final release as a default, thanks for the feedback. :D

@Line skipping:

Just out of curiosity though, did you consider implementing something like faster playback on a press of a key? I've seen this in various other games, and I thought it worked quite well, as you could skip as far as you wanted and then release the "skip" key to resume the cutscene at regular speed. As said, I'm just curious if you considered or experimented with such a mechanic, I assume it's not as trivial as it sounds either.

Hm, yeah this isn't trivial, unfortunately, but it's something I've been dreaming of for the purposes of debugging for some time. The implementation I had in mind is likely not gonna be shippable material.. but you never know.

@Fast running: I did not encounter any situations where Vella/Shay moved particularly slowly, yet it seemed the threshold distance for the faster speed was quite high, as I could never run at will, Vella just sometimes did. (I don't recall Shay running ever, even though I spent a lot of time in his half walking across rooms, but maybe my memory fools me here.) Maybe double-click to run, but require a minimum distance? Or reduce the distance threshold? Either way, if it stays like it is, I wouldn't mind personally, as the walking speed is fast enough. It just bugged me a bit that the running animation seemed to be triggered at random/some arbitrary and rare threshold, rather than at user control.

Yeah, I see what you mean. There is one place I really wish Vella wouldn't run (outside of Curtis's house, walking into the forest), but because of the way the scene works, it can be frustrating to wait for her to walk. This was the most consistent complaint from playtesters, so I had to change it.

Shay, indeed, never runs. It's because he traverses very small spaces compared to Vella and seems to move at a fairly quick pace even with the slow+medium speed walks.

Sign in to follow this