Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter

Why is the game release delayed by two weeks?

I tried thinking about why Double Fine would do this and can't wrap my head around this.

Obviously the game seems "ready enough" for all the other players and:

- The review embargo failed and it is being reviewed on various sites

- The game seems to for the most part be in a ready state for release / QA largely did its job

- The game is being discussed (and spoiled) all around about now and people would likely want to buy and play it

- It's a hot topic now and minds are being made up

- People are uploading complete "Let's Plays" with entire Walkthroughs:

- Apparently a version of the game leaked and there is no legal way to obtain it for almost another two weeks available

On the other hand you got:

- Can Betatest it for roughly another week with a few more configurations and possibly fix some issues

If it was my decision I know I would want to release it as soon as possible under the circumstances.

Because a lot of entitled backers would fume at the idea that muggles would get to play the game at the same time as them.

(and really, it's just good form to let us have a go at it first)

Because a lot of entitled backers would fume at the idea that muggles would get to play the game at the same time as them.

(and really, it's just good form to let us have a go at it first)

Did they ever actually promise an early release for Backers? I can't really remember.

And I don't know, if you asked me I'd rather they make more money in what is most likely the most important period of Sales to go towards the second part of the game than any other considerations.

I kind of even find the idea of "Exclusive content" itself off-putting. I'd rather more people enjoy things.

they promised steam early access, which is what we got. Personally I wouldn't have minded everyone getting it as the same time I did, I wouldn't like to wait another 2 weeks though.

Beta was promised in the kickstarter, but that was when no one thought it would be so many people and released in 2 parts.

I'm guessing if they were given a choice again, DF would not have done it this way, but many backers are very disappointed when they don't get things as promised 2 years ago, so there wasn't really any choice.

People who LP games that JUST CAME OUT are the worst, though. (never mind that this one isn't even out yet!)

Also as full release they want to have more bugs out of the game currently it still has some problems with some things which they can fix in the timeframe.

I tried thinking about why Double Fine would do this and can't wrap my head around this.

Obviously the game seems "ready enough" for all the other players and:

- The review embargo failed and it is being reviewed on various sites

- The game seems to for the most part be in a ready state for release / QA largely did its job

- The game is being discussed (and spoiled) all around about now and people would likely want to buy and play it

- It's a hot topic now and minds are being made up

- People are uploading complete "Let's Plays" with entire Walkthroughs:

- Apparently a version of the game leaked and there is no legal way to obtain it for almost another two weeks available

On the other hand you got:

- Can Betatest it for roughly another week with a few more configurations and possibly fix some issues

If it was my decision I know I would want to release it as soon as possible under the circumstances.

The kickstarter promised 'exclusive beta access'. If they didn't give it to backers first in some form (beta or otherwise) then they would not have given any sort of 'exclusive' access and they would have a huge deficit of good will ... and a whole lot of angry backers. There's no legal obligation but it would be a PR nightmare.

Waiting a full two weeks, I think that's just Double Fine being very generous (some other exclusive periods are measured in days or even hours)! Especially so, since the game seems to be in pretty darn good shape. Of course it also allows them to ease out a lot more bugs and get a true beta test under their belt. That's a win-win!

Seth B.

I don't know about it being ready, it crashed on me multiple times. And maybe there are other subtle things they'd like to fix based on backer feedback.

Sign in to follow this