Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chaos`^

Gus suddenly knows me!

When I was in the giant fruit tree area and heard Gus yelling he's in the roots, so I did the most logical thing and jumped into a hole in the ground. Unfortunately it was the exact spot I was supposed to go and I knocked Gus off the root. We both land on the bird and he says "Oh, hey Vella!" And then I can never talk to him again. I assume I'm supposed to get down to him through the actual trunk and talk to him before freeing him, but I did it in the wrong order and he suddenly knows my name even though I've never met the guy.

Nah, with the subtitles on he's saying "Hey Vera!" - talking to the bird. He asks it to take him to the arcade. You missed out on some funny dialogue though :(

I didn't know it was possible to talk with him too.. I jumped where the sound was from first. It has to be changed then.

I think the easiest solution to this problem is to make that hole in the cloud appear only after you've gone down and talked to him. I guess some people will see this as a "continuity error" since he fell through that hole first so how come it wasn't already there, but I think that's a much better alternative.

I missed this too. What was the funny dialogue? I don't think it needs to be "fixed" though, you don't have to hear every single bit of dialogue in the game.

The problem is that having something that covers the hole would be a dead giveaway to this particular puzzle (not that it's hard given that people solve it accidentally, but still). You could have a different one where the main task is getting rid of a bird nesting above him, possibly almost pooping on him, but this is probably a big change for the game at this stage.

Another option would be that the first jump through that hole has Vella bounce on a branch so she still land on the wrong side.

The branch would crack under the impact, so that next time, Vella lands on the right side.

Another option would be that the first jump through that hole has Vella bounce on a branch so she still land on the wrong side.

The branch would crack under the impact, so that next time, Vella lands on the right side.

And if she lands on the wrong side instead of completely falling off the tree, this will give Vella the opportunity to talk to Gus right away, and chances are most players will do this before going back up and falling through that hole again. So it will be like a shortcut to Gus for players who accidentally stumble upon it and another easy puzzle with a bit of backtracking for those players who don't. And if anyone still misses Gus' dialogue because they decide to fall through the hole another time before paying attention to him, then that's fine because they were fully aware of his presence and purposefully ignored him.

It would require a small change to the background art and another animation though. No idea how hard or easy it would be for DF to add that at this late stage. But I really like how you think. :)

I bet the easiest way without additional animation would be to always have her fall slightly behind the branch until she talks with Gus or just have it set so that she walks around the hole automatically until she talks with him. Maybe some additional dialogue if you click on the hole early that says, "I think there's someone down there. I better not fall through".

Or that the hole only opens after speaking with him, due to a bird that flies away when Vella approaches Gus.

I bet the easiest way without additional animation would be to always have her fall slightly behind the branch until she talks with Gus or just have it set so that she walks around the hole automatically until she talks with him. Maybe some additional dialogue if you click on the hole early that says, "I think there's someone down there. I better not fall through".

Yeah, the first thing I thought before reading ellouis' suggestion was to make Vella take a few steps towards the tree automatically for some reason (maybe make her comment on something)*, in such a way that she will have passed that hole in question before the player gets in control again, so that this accident can only happen on the return trip. Not perfect, but it would possibly reduce the risk of finding the solution before the problem has even presented itself.

The problem with just changing the rules after a certain condition was met (talking with Gus), is that this often leads to players getting stuck, because they will already "know" that falling through the hole won't work because the game said so or showed them before, and therefor they won't try it again if there's no obvious reason why it could have changed. This is one of the main design flaws in adventure games, IMO - you don't just remove an invisible wall or put a new item somewhere without giving a hint and a logical reason for it. That's why the solution with the breaking branch is so ingenious - it prevents the players from doing something they're not supposed to do yet, but also gives a good and visible reason why they will be able to do it afterwards.

* Btw, was anyone else confused when Vella says something about "the sign wasn't lying" when she enters this screen for the first time? I think I forgot to read the sign in the other screen, but maybe I just forgot that I read it? If she always says that, even if the players didn't click on the sign, that would be a continuity error.

The problem is that having something that covers the hole would be a dead giveaway to this particular puzzle (not that it's hard given that people solve it accidentally, but still).

There doesn't need to be anything covering that hole before you go talk to him, it just needs to be like the regular "non-fall-throughable" cloud. There are a lot of holes in the cloud around that tree and having another one appear only after you've talked to Gus wouldn't be too obvious, I think.

I missed this too. What was the funny dialogue?

Anybody?

*looks around with pleading eyes*

I missed this too. What was the funny dialogue?

Anybody?

*looks around with pleading eyes*

"Nice try sweetie." - Mother AI

If we told you, it may ruin the comedic timing!

But we can tell you that Vella does not want to go near Gus because she finds him yucky in some way.

One of the things about adventure games is that you are rewarded sometimes for not solving the puzzles too quickly (even if it was by accident). When I played I knew to stay away from those holes because it meant falling through the cloud and being brought back to the main plaza, and honestly it took me quite a while to figure out what I needed to do to get Gus out of the tree, lol. I'm sorry you missed the dialogue, but that just means you have an incentive to replay the game!

Aight then I'll look out for it when I replay it after final release :)

Sort of related: did Vella suddenly know Alex's name without him ever telling it to her? Did I miss something? It caught me off guard when she shouted his name while fighting Mog Chothra (because Alex is my name, lol).

Sort of related: did Vella suddenly know Alex's name without him ever telling it to her? Did I miss something? It caught me off guard when she shouted his name while fighting Mog Chothra (because Alex is my name, lol).

Pretty sure you didn't miss anything. I was surprised too.

Sign in to follow this