Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Cabbage

What Broken Age REALLY needs.

What do YOU think?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU think?

• This would cost double fine too much time and money and is not worth it for the payout.
    • I would love to see this happen, we can dream.
    • The last thing this game needs is more difficult puzzles.

I keep reading what people are saying about the puzzles being too easy- ways they would have personally made them harder... or on the other side people saying it was good that the puzzles were simple. Well personally THIS is what I think Broken Age needs. If Tim and the gang still have some Voice Acting to record for Act 2 I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Nah, just needs a hints on/off button, so we can stop the characters in the game telling us how to solve the puzzle before we have time to think about it.

Easier for them to implement to.

Exactly, I remember playing Monkey Island 3 for weeks. The game needs more brain busters about which you actually have to think about.

It's not just about being hard.

Its about also actually having to think. Be able to play a point n click game on autopilot is not how it should be. I like to think about stuff, and find stuff.

I think the difficulty of Act 1 was just fine. I just expect Act 2 to be more difficult so we get a good increasing difficulty curve through the complete game.

I'm loving it!... but yep, it's easier than I thought. A megamonkey version would bring replayability and more diversion (or getting stuck! imagine, how anyone would thought that would be a good thing!).

I also feel on autopilot solving puzzles, so +1 to @RMJ... and although is a thrilling beautiful experience, I expected more challenge... but maybe it's just the difficult curve (let's see on act 2 how it behaves). I mean, most backers didn't stop playing adventure games all this years, so we are veeeery trained on "adventure thinking".

But I repeat, I love the game, how it moves (impressive animation!), the art, the stories it tells, and everything about it...

Ahh, design tips from the Monkey game Tim Shafer didn't do ;)

The other MI games had easy modes as well. I think it's just that Mega-Monkey is a catchier name :P

I just love it since one allows people who want to experience the story do so without stopping the more hardcore adventurers from having a bit more of a challange ahead of it.

To make this game one for the ages, we need a hard and easy mode. Otherwise, it will never have the lasting stay power of the greats.

I replayed it... took me about 25 minutes to beat. That is crazy.

The issue is that there are two large groups this game caters to -- adventure noobs, and hardened adventure vets who think two levels above the adventure noobs.

Here's the issue... if they ramp up the difficulty for part 2 (with no other gameplay adjustments)... it will likely become unplayable for the noobs, and a mildly challenging 2nd half for the vets.

And here's the thing... I can't remember all of the puzzles in monkey island and they are fun and challenging every replay (right from the start). I have to think.

Broken age part 1 can be played without thinking for vets. That's boring.

It simply needs an easy and hard mode to make it the best adventure game of all time, for everyone. The adventure gamer ability gap is just too vast. We've got ADD kids and puzzle-loving grown nerds playing the same game. Think about that for a second.

Tiger woods at a pitch and putt... or a toddler at the PGA.

The gameplay gap is that big.

Tiger woods at a pitch and putt... or a toddler at the PGA.

The gameplay gap is that big.

My goodness! That is a strong and accurate way of.., heh... putting it.

To make this game one for the ages, we need a hard and easy mode. Otherwise, it will never have the lasting stay power of the greats.

Mhm. It is the only compromise that makes sense. I think right now most people agree the game world, story, music, everything is great... but the puzzles let it down. Most people are pulling out the whole "oh this is only part 1" thing. but yeah, as you said it.... If it gets too much harder then it will alienate the more casual players... and if it stays at this difficulty it will upset a good deal of backers who gave them money to make the damn game in the first place. I really hope that double fine does make a huge patch to part one with a hard mode when part two rolls about... as it would make it the best damn adventure in a long time.

It would suck if they never did it and this fell down.. or they did do it AFTER the $100 boxed versions were sent out...

You're thinking backwards, here. Curse's "Mega Monkey" mode is the full game. Playing the other mode simply removes certain puzzles. In some cases you can even see where they've been solved for you (the plug on the rowboat). Removing is easier than adding. Trying to add things like that in would, I think, feel horribly tacked on in a game like Broken Age where everything is so high-polish.

Curse's "Mega Monkey" mode is the full game.

That is also why I don't think the idea of difficulty levels in an adventure game is a good solution. I'm pretty bad at solving puzzles, but I won't select "easy" anyway, because I want to play the whole game. So I played CMI on hard, and ended up consulting a walkthrough. (You could argue that I'm being stupid, and that would probably be true in this case, but I suspect that I'm not alone in thinking like that.)

I think that would be a good solution.

Curse's "Mega Monkey" mode is the full game.

That is also why I don't think the idea of difficulty levels in an adventure game is a good solution. I'm pretty bad at solving puzzles, but I won't select "easy" anyway, because I want to play the whole game. So I played CMI on hard, and ended up consulting a walkthrough. (You could argue that I'm being stupid, and that would probably be true in this case, but I suspect that I'm not alone in thinking like that.)

That can be solved by naming it properly. They can call "easy" the normal mode, and call "hard" the mode only for hardcore players. That should convince people who don't want super difficult puzzles to go for the normal mode.

It is unfortunate that it is mega-monkey or easy, but not both. At least that is what it sounds like when reading these last few posts.

This is how I see it and how I used it: I started on mega-monkey. I got stuck a lot, but managed to get through a good portion of it. But then I got REALLY stuck, like, for a week, and I loaded it up each day that week. So I started a new save on the 'easy' mode and played until I got to the same point. It was, indeed, part of an added puzzle and seeing what was NOT present helped me to narrow down my options in mega-monkey. Thus, I never needed to use a hint system or walkthrough. I never short-changed myself. And if I really hadn't handled mega-monkey, I simply would have completed the game on 'easy' before consulting a walkthrough or hint system.

I've used hint systems before to progress in games where I am stuck, but I'm always left feeling annoyed because the "hints" are never hints. Well, I take that back. I have seen one or two systems that didn't ruin the experience by solving the puzzle for you.

That can be solved by naming it properly. They can call "easy" the normal mode, and call "hard" the mode only for hardcore players. That should convince people who don't want super difficult puzzles to go for the normal mode.

That might work for people who are less stupid (or maybe completist is a better word?) than me, but I'd still go for the complete game even if I knew that I'd enjoy the edited version better.

Or call the options "Old school" and "Director's Cut". :P

Sign in to follow this