• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
felipepepe

To the DFA staff: Can I get a refund?

I backed a old-school, classic adventure game made by Tim Schafer and Double Fine, but I didn't get one.

The puzzles are obvious, the world feels empty, the controls are streamlined and the entire game feels more like a animated cartoon with some gameplay tackled in, absolutely devoid of any challenge. In no way this game is on par with Day of the Tentacle, that the Double Fine kickstarter itself presented as "point-and-click classic".

I spent $100 (+$10 shipping) on this. So far I got half of the game, the poster and the t-shirt, but you guys still owe me Act 2 and the big box (+shipping). I would be very satisfied if I could get a refund on those items.

Now, I understand that "old-school" and "classic" are subjective concepts. I can't do anything to force a refund, but I can ask nicely and hope for comprehension on your side.

And before fans start to be overly defensive or calling me a troll, I have absolutely no interest in arguing or offending anyone. If you loved this game and think that the puzzles and challenges of old games were never fun to begin with, that large inventories are overrated and having 12 verbs was pointless, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it; but so am I.

You didn't buy Broken Age, you donated money to a fundraiser and got that stuff as a thanks for your help.

before fans start to be overly defensive or calling me a troll, I have absolutely no interest in arguing or offending anyone.

I'm not so sure I believe you, considering you're posting this on a feedback forum instead of an email to customer support. You can't post an argument on a forum and then claim you're not arguing.

Also, ditto on what everyone else said. You backed a project. You didn't buy a product.

That's the idea of donating money: you donated money because you trusted Tim Schafer and Double Fine to create a great game. If you don't like the result and feel cheated - simply avoid donating to them again.

Getting back a donation, on the other hand, is not a reasonable thing to ask.

I backed a old-school, classic adventure game made by Tim Schafer and Double Fine, but I didn't get one.

The puzzles are obvious, the world feels empty, the controls are streamlined and the entire game feels more like a animated cartoon with some gameplay tackled in, absolutely devoid of any challenge. In no way this game is on par with Day of the Tentacle, that the Double Fine kickstarter itself presented as "point-and-click classic".

I spent $100 (+$10 shipping) on this. So far I got half of the game, the poster and the t-shirt, but you guys still owe me Act 2 and the big box (+shipping). I would be very satisfied if I could get a refund on those items.

Now, I understand that "old-school" and "classic" are subjective concepts. I can't do anything to force a refund, but I can ask nicely and hope for comprehension on your side.

And before fans start to be overly defensive or calling me a troll, I have absolutely no interest in arguing or offending anyone. If you loved this game and think that the puzzles and challenges of old games were never fun to begin with, that large inventories are overrated and having 12 verbs was pointless, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it; but so am I.

You ARE being a troll. If you meant anything you said you'd email support@doublefine.com and not post it in a public forum.

You ARE being a troll. If you meant anything you said you'd email support@doublefine.com and not post it in a public forum.

I e-mailed them on Tuesday, after beating the game, but got no reply so far.

Asking for a donation back regardless of the reason is like probably very evil I think.
I would argue that asking donations for something, then delivering another is what's evil, but I don't want to go there.

If it's a no, then it's a no, but I still would like to hear an answer from the staff.

I'm not sure you have a right to your money back, as per the contract you made with Kickstarter and DF when you pledged. Asking is one thing, but you are not owed it. Besides, you may be politely requesting a refund and hoping for the best while expecting the worst, but who's to say that if they do give you a refund out of the goodness of their hearts that thousands of others won't suddenly follow suit and demand their money back. That would cause problems for DF and every other Kickstarter project out there with backers who weren't happy with what they got. I don't think your chances are good, but good luck.

Personally, I backed this project because I wanted Tim to make the adventure game he wanted to make, not exactly the one I wanted. I'm in the group requesting that the second Act be much more difficult, and DF has already said it would be. I can only hope it delivers, but I backed to see Tim's vision realized, not mine. I think that's the given overall perceived role of all the backers.

Y'know, Double Fine probably will honour your refund request, I expect.

Doesn't make it any less of a shitty thing to do. Enjoy your money, I guess.

Oh I thought I recognised the name. Yep, this guy is a troll. If I recall correctly he was caught out posting on another forum about how he was going to come onto the Massive Chalice forum to stir up some shit over same sex couples, and was warned at the time. Funnily enough that's the only other thread he's posted in.

A troll does not gives $110 dollars to a kickstarter.

This is between me and Double Fine, and I have no interest in your accusations. It's too easy to call the opposing voice a troll, especially when among a group of like-minded people.

Regarding KestrelPi's comment, I really really hope DF does not honor the OP's request. It is one thing to allow a refund for backers who asked for them when the game was initially delayed, because they never got to play it. It's a totally different thing to allow a backer to consume all the documentaries, download and play the first part of the game to completion, and then get a refund because the game did not match the backer's subjective expectation of what a "classic adventure" is. It's like someone buying the game on Steam now, based on reviews/advertisements saying it is like a "Classic Tim Schaefer Adventure Game," playing it, and then demanding a refund because it didn't quite scratch the same itch as DOTT. No game company should ever allow this. Even if they did honor the OP's request, what if hundreds of other people make the same request? At some point, the money runs out at they can no longer give refunds. That turns the situation into a "first X number of backers to ask get a refund, and then no more refunds" situation. It also screws over the thousands of OTHER backers who need DF to have that money to make Part 2.

I'm not saying this to call out the OP specifically for asking (I understand being frustrated if you give $100 to fund game development and then are dissatisfied with the "kind of" end product). I just think honoring refunds would be a ridiculous thing to do, create a horrible precedent, and be detrimental to the rest of the backers.

This is between me and Double Fine.

THEN SPEAK TO DOUBLE FINE.

I sent a e-mail, they didn't reply.

Now I am on Double Fine's website, posting on the Feedback area for Broken Age backers, on a thread titled "To the DFA staff:Can I get a refund?". I think I'm doing the best I can to speak with them, unrelated third-party accusations apart.

This is between me and Double Fine.

THEN SPEAK TO DOUBLE FINE.

I sent a e-mail, they didn't reply.

Now I am on Double Fine's website, posting on the Feedback area for Broken Age backers, on a thread titled "To the DFA staff:Can I get a refund?". I think I'm doing the best I can to speak with them, unrelated third-party accusations apart.

Patience youngling. Think perhaps during the 2 week final beta period they might have a few more things to occupy their mind than whether to give $110 back to some brat who doesn't get how kickstarter works?

And if it sounds like I'm being less than civil it's because I ran out of patience for this guy some time ago. Done with this thread.

Dear JDRF - I know I donated $100 to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes and you only promised it would fund research for a cure, but I'm outraged that the cure has not been found yet. And even if it had been, it probably would've been a vaccine - which I am against because Jenny McCarthy said they are bad. Can I have a refund?

I am baffled by the notion that a company should not be obliged to give refunds because of the possibility that it might "run out of money" if every dissatisfied customer demands one. That's all kinds of wrong.

It is their fault to have aimed their kickstarter project at an audience with certain expectations, advertised it as such and then consciously delivered a product that can not meet those expectations.

It's a borderline case of false advertising, some might argue that quality is subjective, that DF did deliver -a- product and therefore fulfilled all obligations towards their customers but I, and obviously some others disagree.

Personally I do not want a refund but Double Fine will certainly never see another cent from me.

It's a shame that this prestigious kickstarter project turned out this way.

It is their fault to have aimed their kickstarter project at an audience with certain expectations, advertised it as such and then consciously delivered a product that can not meet those expectations.

It's a borderline case of false advertising, some might argue that quality is subjective, that DF did deliver -a- product and therefore fulfilled all obligations towards their customers but I, and obviously some others disagree.

I guess this is where I am confused... how is this a bait and switch? They told us they'd make a point and click graphic adventure and that's exactly what they did. DOTT was always my favorite and I fail to see how this game is mechanically different or somehow in a different genre. It has amazing art, great sound and voice acting, an awesome story, puzzles to solve, and an interesting theme. What were the expectations here? Is it because the UI is modernized? Maybe people wanted [insert your favorite adventure game here] part 2, but I think most were expecting a new story.

Now this part isn't directed at you, midnitevulture, but I'm also frustrated at all of the uncalled-for negativity. We have spent two years getting to know these guys and seeing all of the trouble they've gone through making this game for us... they have poured their hearts and souls out and some people are just turning around and spitting in their faces. If you don't like the game, fine... heck, if you want to share criticism, fine. But why can't everyone respect this team for what they have accomplished? Why can't people just say, "You know what, I don't like this game, but I really respect what you guys have accomplished... it's just not for me and here's why..." Instead, you have vitriolic malcontents spewing baseless insults and that bothers me. Have more respect for these people whose feelings you are hurting and be more constructive with your feedback.

I am baffled by the notion that a company should not be obliged to give refunds because of the possibility that it might "run out of money" if every dissatisfied customer demands one. That's all kinds of wrong.

Personally I do not want a refund but Double Fine will certainly never see another cent from me.

It's a shame that this prestigious kickstarter project turned out this way.

False advertising? How does this game not meet the requirements of a point and click adventure game? Seriously. How is it not a point and click adventure game?

Can you also tell me about the documentary? We were promised a documentary of the game-making process. We have 13 episodes not including the side quests all of which at least 40 minutes long and they are still making them.

I'm seriously confused where the bait and switch happened. Here is your soap box. Go for it!

They should not refund people. They promised a adventure game, and that has been delivered. I think Broken Age has some issues with both story and puzzles. But it is not a bad game. The problem is that both Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle was better games!

But you have to reach for the the stars, if enough people tries someone will succeed. I will continue to support adventure games on Kickstarter. I will also support the next kickstarter that Double Fine makes.

Also. They have delivered another thing besides the game, a game engine!! I guess what other company's will be able to use this engine in the future. So we have helped to fund the infrastructure for more adventure games!

We have spent two years getting to know these guys and seeing all of the trouble they've gone through making this game for us... they have poured their hearts and souls out and some people are just turning around and spitting in their faces. If you don't like the game, fine... heck, if you want to share criticism, fine. But why can't everyone respect this team for what they have accomplished? Why can't people just say, "You know what, I don't like this game, but I really respect what you guys have accomplished... it's just not for me and here's why..." Instead, you have vitriolic malcontents spewing baseless insults and that bothers me. Have more respect for these people whose feelings you are hurting and be more constructive with your feedback.

And the other way around doesn't bother you?

Everyone has their own battles to live. The same way that Double Fine staff made an effort to release this game, every backers also made efforts to get the money to back their project. I don't think we need a documentary and two years getting to know each other for people to learn to respect other's work.

I'm a third-world brazilian, that worked hard for those $110 dollars, almost half of our minimum wage, and trusted it into a Double Fine to make the old-school game they advertised. I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't deliver what was promised, and I'm simply asking for a partial refund; yet people that have nothing to do with it come here to tell how I'm "a troll", "some brat who doesn’t get how kickstarter works", that my request is ridiculous and all that.

Double Fine should also respect their backers money more. Tim Schafer first posted funny pictures of him with all the money that he got from kickstarter, then ran out of money for the game and had to split it into two. He also swayed away from the original proposal of a classic, old-school game and made a streamlined game, appealing to modern audiences. All that with the hard earned money from people all, over the world.

I'm not disrespecting Double Fine's efforts, but they didn't deliver what was promised. And it was not because they couldn't, but because they didn't wanted to. So I want them to respect me and my money, and give me a refund.

I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't deliver what was promised.

Ok, let's say for the sake of argument that you are being completely reasonable here. How did they not deliver on what was promised?

If you watch the pitch video, Tim says (and I quote) "Either the game will be great, or it will be a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see." That was the promise and nothing else. They never said this would be a wonderful game (though I think it is) and no one made you spend your hard-earned money, you elected to do that based on who knows what. At the end of the day, we got a gorgeous game that's fun and - what's more - it's only halfway done! What were you expecting?

I'm a third-world brazilian, that worked hard for those $110 dollars, almost half of our minimum wage, and trusted it into a Double Fine to make the old-school game they advertised.

Okay, I know I said I was done here, but now I know you're trolling. This is what you posted in the RPGNow forums the LAST time you decided to come to the DF forums specifically to troll.

cyY16D4.png

Having fun playing your poor thirdworldian latino role again?

I already stated my reasons in the op. This is a issue between myself and DF, where your opinions matter nothing. I gain nothing from derailing it.

We have spent two years getting to know these guys and seeing all of the trouble they've gone through making this game for us... they have poured their hearts and souls out and some people are just turning around and spitting in their faces. If you don't like the game, fine... heck, if you want to share criticism, fine. But why can't everyone respect this team for what they have accomplished? Why can't people just say, "You know what, I don't like this game, but I really respect what you guys have accomplished... it's just not for me and here's why..." Instead, you have vitriolic malcontents spewing baseless insults and that bothers me. Have more respect for these people whose feelings you are hurting and be more constructive with your feedback.

Asking for a refund is not disrespectful, neither is being disappointed in the game Double Fine has made. I know the developers, writers, artists, etc worked hard and they are all very nice people. None of this is meant as a personal insult.

However I do not accept a company that tricks me into giving it my money by promising an "old-school adventure" (quote from the kickstarter page, material like the DOTT screenshot or phrases like "classic", etc. is also intentionally suggestive of that) and then delivering an iPad game because that's more profitable.

This is of course also a reason for this feeling of being cheated. Double Fine themselves promoted this image of being lovable, passionate "gaming nerds", in contrast to the "faceless, greedy big corporations", to gain the trust -and money- of retro-gaming idiots like me, only to deliver a kind of game that I would have expected from Activision Blizzard and the like, including mass-appeal and spyware.

That screenshot speaks volumes about your character. You say you're not a troll and yet you openly discuss trolling this forum.

/thread

Just because he doesn't like the game does NOT make him a troll. I happen to agree with what he's saying. I was so excited when Tim burst onto the KS scene clearly promising an "old school" PC adventure game with pictures of DotT prominently displayed . It's right there on the KS home page. Yet what was delivered is a modern adventure game where there is hardly any challenge to the puzzles (and I use that word lightly) and seemingly designed for mobile devices. I don't want my money back even though $100 is a lot of money regardless of where you live. However, to dismiss and attack Felipepepe as trolling is unwarranted. I wish Tim had been able to recapture that "old magic" from his LucasArts days as he seemed to want to from his KS pitch. Unfortunately he failed to deliver. Count me among those very disappointed.