Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felipepepe

To the DFA staff: Can I get a refund?

I honestly think you may have a learning disability guy. You fundamentally don't understand the concept of kickstarter.

You donated, plain and simple, you don't get a refund on a donation.

They have delivered all the physical goods they can so far to you, you will receive the physical game when the second half is done.

If you don't like the game, then speak with your wallet by not purchasing their games in the future.

I for one just slacker backed Massive Chalice and am getting Stacking and Spacebase DF-9 probably next paycheck because of how freaking fantastic this game is.

Yes it isn't as difficult as DOTT, Monkey Island, or some of the other classic adventure games, but I don't think that's a bad thing, there were some puzzles in old adventure games that were literally infuriating, they were not fun, this game is fun as hell and has a fantastic, engrossing story, I really cared about the characters by the end of the game and can't wait to see what comes next for them.

So yeah it will put off some people by not being super difficult, my friend Derek is weary of buying it because of how easy it is said to be, he refuses to play anymore Telltale games because they are too easy, different strokes for different folks though. People like different things in games.

Uh, Tim gave you a old school point and click game. Grim Fandango is an adventure game, but lacked the point and click, which Broken AGe has. "Oldschool" has nothing to do with challenge other than your assumption that it meant challenging. Tim didn't say anything about a challenge, and even if he did, Act 2 is promised to be more challenging.

Also, what kind of person requests back $100 to a company that is clearly banking on Broken Age being a success? I donated $500 myself and I'm quite satisfied with what I've got.

Just because he doesn't like the game does NOT make him a troll. I happen to agree with what he's saying. I was so excited when Tim burst onto the KS scene clearly promising an "old school" PC adventure game with pictures of DotT prominently displayed . It's right there on the KS home page. Yet what was delivered is a modern adventure game where there is hardly any challenge to the puzzles (and I use that word lightly) and seemingly designed for mobile devices. I don't want my money back even though $100 is a lot of money regardless of where you live. However, to dismiss and attack Felipepepe as trolling is unwarranted. I wish Tim had been able to recapture that "old magic" from his LucasArts days as he seemed to want to from his KS pitch. Unfortunately he failed to deliver. Count me among those very disappointed.

Let's be honest with ourselves here... a troll is someone who posts something like this for the purpose of eliciting an emotional response from others. Now, the OP may have posted under the guise of an "honest question", but in what reality does donating money to someone and then demanding it back amount to any form of reasonableness?

And again, I don't accept the premise that you were promised something and then given something else. Apparently, some folks have different expectations from the rest of us, because this blew my expectations out of the water - and that's where the respect part comes in. Yes, we were told we'd get a game that was a point and click adventure game in the same as the classics, but we were also told they would iterate on it a bit to modernize it. What do you think the first videos between Ron and Tim were all about? They spent the entire time discussing what worked and what didn't work about the old adventure games... what to bring into the present and what to leave behind.

All I'm saying is that you're writing off an amazing work of art because it's not what you were expecting. And it's an egregious offense to demand a donated refund for something you supported of your own volition for the same reason.

The thing is, the OP has reached his objective - congratulations: people are pissed at you. Can you not consider our position, though, and at least rethink your tact?

eu posso comprar seu jogo em caixa quando chegar. me arrependi de ter feito só o tier de 15 dólares

And it's an egregious offense to demand a donated refund for something you supported of your own volition for the same reason.

Just tell me where is written donation on the kickstarter page, I'll be waiting. I did not donate, I pledged to fund the development of a "old-school adventure game". I say that such game was not made, so Double Fine didn't fulfill their part of the deal.

The thing is, the OP has reached his objective - congratulations: people are pissed at you. Can you not consider our position, though, and at least rethink your tact?

I care not if you hate or love me, the sole purpose of this treat was to ask the Double Fine staff for a refund. I got no reply so far, only white noise from people that somehow think they have a say in the matter, so my objective was not reached.

That screenshot speaks volumes about your character. You say you're not a troll and yet you openly discuss trolling this forum.

You only saw a screenshot of a year-old post of mine in another forum, without any context. Nowhere I say "I'll go troll those guys".

Yes, I am a brazilian, DF can easily check that on the shipping address they sent the t-shirt. And yes, it was needed for someone like me to stand up for that Massive Chalice debate, because anyone else against gay representation was simply dismissed as a entitled rich white guy that should "check it's privilege". Since I was also a minority, they changed tactics and decided to simply label me a troll.

Go read the thread (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9301/) and see for yourself, the only "trolling" I did was to disagree with the majority, something that seems a deadly sin around here.

Ah, this is the guy who also started the most flamebaiting thread on the game's Steam community titled "This game is for Tim's daughter, not the backers; and it still fails."

It was the only one that actually got locked by Steam's moderators :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232790/discussions/0/648817377370106786

Again, I only posted my opinions, something that apparently automatically summons a army of fanboys to argue.

And I didn't break any forum rules, so there was no reason for that thread to be locked, besides to silence negative feedback. I would appreciate if the mods used their time to reply to this thread and solve the issue, instead of just locking away stuff they disagree with.

eu posso comprar seu jogo em caixa quando chegar. me arrependi de ter feito só o tier de 15 dólares

Vamos ver, eu quero o reembolso, mas se não sair eu ponho à venda mesmo. Tenho a camiseta e o poster tbm, nunca usei e posso vender tbm.

Just tell me where is written donation on the kickstarter page, I'll be waiting. I did not donate, I pledged to fund the development of a "old-school adventure game". I say that such game was not made, so Double Fine didn't fulfill their part of the deal.

My friend, this is an argument in semantics... the definition of pledge is a promise to donate money.

I care not if you hate or love me, the sole purpose of this treat was to ask the Double Fine staff for a refund. I got no reply so far, only white noise from people that somehow think they have a say in the matter, so my objective was not reached.

I don't hate you. I am merely trying to get you to take a step back and look at how you are approaching the situation, that's all.

Felipepepe, you present yourself as making a reasonable, logical request, but you state many of your points in a way I (and others, obviously) find offensive. Many if not most of the assertions you make in your original post are subjective, but you act like they're objective. For example, that the game is "absolutely devoid of any challenge." Even if you felt the game was easier than classic adventure games and therefore isn't itself done in the style of those games as was promised, then you could've said it more like that. It feels like you're picking on Tim Schafer and Double Fine in a way that's especially offensive to a community that's here because we like and respect Tim and enjoy what he and Double Fine produce. Even among this kind of crowd, there's room for opposing viewpoints, but not for disrespect. I get that you also feel disrespected. But no one is jabbing at you like you're jabbing at Double Fine. I get the feeling you enjoy ruffling people's feathers. If that's true, rather than argue the point, be man enough to admit it.

Ah, this is the guy who also started the most flamebaiting thread on the game's Steam community titled "This game is for Tim's daughter, not the backers; and it still fails."

It was the only one that actually got locked by Steam's moderators :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232790/discussions/0/648817377370106786

Again, I only posted my opinions, something that apparently automatically summons a army of fanboys to argue.

And I didn't break any forum rules, so there was no reason for that thread to be locked, besides to silence negative feedback. I would appreciate if the mods used their time to reply to this thread and solve the issue, instead of just locking away stuff they disagree with.

What you do is fill your opinions with subtle disrespectful derision towards Double Fine, and other backers. Obviously that in turn creates strong response in those who loved the game and like what Double Fine and Tim are doing. Instead of learning from your mistakes - you continue it here, even as you are asking Double Fine to just give you their own personal money (btw don't kid yourself about it being a "refund" - there is no way to convert part of Broken Age that got financed by your 100$ back into cash, that's not how investing works)

You get to be constantly called a troll for a reason - whether you do it on purpose or not, your posts are written in a very specific way to instigate pointless flamewars - and I bet this was the reason mods locked your thread on Steam.

You really want to me show the screen shot IN context? I'd love to. Don't tempt me.

Genuine refund request or not, you seem pathologically intent on stirring up arguments and just like last time, as soon as you're found out you play the "who me? I'm just a poor boy from a poor family" role. Forgive me if I can't contain my derision.

This really is just a fine example of the challenge Kickstartered projects face. People don't understand what Kickstarter means, they think it's just some kind of fancy pre-order thing and that they get to demand warranties and refunds if the result isn't to their liking. And the projects that are funded are not used to communicating to customers and getting the messaging straight. So while the OP is an obvious troll, I don't think he's completely to blame for his position in this. Wrong though he is.

Felipepepe, you present yourself as making a reasonable, logical request, but you state many of your points in a way I (and others, obviously) find offensive.
you seem pathologically intent on stirring up arguments and just like last time
I get the feeling you enjoy ruffling people's feathers. If that's true, rather than argue the point, be man enough to admit it.
your posts are written in a very specific way to instigate pointless flamewars

I come and make a request TO THE DFA STAFF, as clearly indicated in the thread title.

On the very OP I write:

And before fans start to be overly defensive or calling me a troll, I have absolutely no interest in arguing or offending anyone. If you loved this game and think that the puzzles and challenges of old games were never fun to begin with, that large inventories are overrated and having 12 verbs was pointless, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it; but so am I.

I spend the entire thread saying that I don't want to argue, that this is between myself and Double Fine, and I'm just here trying to reach them. How in the world is this "ruffling people's feathers" or "written in a very specific way to instigate pointless flamewars" ? Seriously, tell me.

And yet all this thread is so far is a bunch of poster that have NOTHING to do with my request, are not a part of DFA staff, yet somehow think their views and opinions matter in the subject and come to contest my claim. You are the ones calling me a troll, saying that I'm being an %* for asking this, that my claims are wrong. You are the ones being aggressive here.

Just leave. I'm waiting for DFA's answer, they are the ones who will decide if my claims are legit or not and what will they do.

Many if not most of the assertions you make in your original post are subjective, but you act like they're objective.

You think so? Let's take a look at my OP:

Now, I understand that “old-school” and “classic” are subjective concepts. I can’t do anything to force a refund, but I can ask nicely and hope for comprehension on your side.

Do you still think that I'm the one being unreasonable here?

as soon as you're found out you play the "who me? I'm just a poor boy from a poor family" role.

You can say that you're gay, but I can't say that I'm brazilian?

Good companies, if they can afford it, are giving refunds, also if they won't have to because they know a happy customer is more likely treturning to them and saying good stuff about the company. They might also ask you to keep things quiet, so that not too many poeple will get into the same mood.

If you're just upset, i wouldn't ask for refund and instead enjoy the ride which involves highs and lows and vent/argue/give feedback if needed. On the bright side there is still time and a chance that things will improve for you too.

On the other side if you have serious financial issues and this might be one of the options which you were hoping for to enhance your situation, then i would try to deal this with DF in a respectful manner because it's you who wants something from them and describe your situation. Maybe it's worth waiting some more time as well because they need to talk this through first and support also has to deal with a number other things these days.

I spend the entire thread saying that I don't want to argue, that this is between myself and Double Fine, and I'm just here trying to reach them. How in the world is this "ruffling people's feathers" or "written in a very specific way to instigate pointless flamewars" ? Seriously, tell me.

Yet, here you are, arguing. Just as you stated in your mission statement over at the RPGCodex, otherwise known as the holy 4chan of gaming communities.

I reported you. Again.

Should I simply ignore the waves of people coming to accuse me, even if they are wrong and have nothing to do with this?

Again, just leave this thread.

The only winning move is not to play, eh?

Ok then, is not like replying is doing any good anyway. I'll just wait for a staff member to reply this thread or my e-mail, and occasionally bump this if they take too long.

I just hope they have the decency to at least reply, even if only a "No.", instead of locking the thread and pretending it never happened.

On the very OP I write:

And before fans start to be overly defensive or calling me a troll, I have absolutely no interest in arguing or offending anyone. If you loved this game and think that the puzzles and challenges of old games were never fun to begin with, that large inventories are overrated and having 12 verbs was pointless, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it; but so am I.

That's easy, just look at the part of your quote you just used that you didn't select in bold:

If you loved this game and think that the puzzles and challenges of old games were never fun to begin with, that large inventories are overrated and having 12 verbs was pointless

Here you are, already arguing with an imaginary opponent, putting words into other people's mouth in a derogatory manner, essentially saying "You are of course entitled to you stupid opinion, if it differs from mine"

And that is only your first post, no one even said anything against your position.

On the very OP I write:

I don't buy that you don't want to argue. Know why? For one thing, you're full of arguments and incredibly defensive. I'll believe you don't want to argue when you stop arguing.

And yet all this thread is so far is a bunch of poster that have NOTHING to do with my request, are not a part of DFA staff, yet somehow think their views and opinions matter in the subject and come to contest my claim. You are the ones calling me a troll, saying that I'm being an %* for asking this, that my claims are wrong. You are the ones being aggressive here.

Just leave. I'm waiting for DFA's answer, they are the ones who will decide if my claims are legit or not and what will they do.

I'm mostly replying to you (in this public forum) because I want to stand up for Double Fine. If you'd written your post in a respectful way, I wouldn't bother.

Many if not most of the assertions you make in your original post are subjective, but you act like they're objective.
You think so? Let's take a look at my OP:
Now, I understand that “old-school” and “classic” are subjective concepts. I can’t do anything to force a refund, but I can ask nicely and hope for comprehension on your side.

Do you still think that I'm the one being unreasonable here?

Absolutely. You didn't ask nicely.

I feel the need to point out that even in the kickstarter video that tim openly said that the project could be a success or a monumental failure and ether way it would be documented for your viewing plesure. Considering what you have access to for $100 the documentary alone with its length and quality is worth that add in tshirt game and other things and your getting more then you deserve really. If you dont like the end result it was made very clear that that could be the case in the original pitch. You were well aware that the project was an attempt to make an old school adventure game but might not be well received . Based on the reviews thus far I would say Tim delivered a high end product with amazing art writing and direction. I do agree difficulty could be greater and I miss verbs at least a few.... But that said I doubt you or I coild have done any better so save your drama and negativity for a community that cares.

Guys. Seriously. As someone who has upset this forum numerous times in the past, hear me out.

This guy is a dedicated troll from another forum. He's a regular at rpgcodex.net, a site full of Nazi-worshipping hipster shit-disturbers. He will literally respond to you in full for all eternity, and he has ample time for endless quote-battles. His sole intent is to drag out the most passionate, most indignant, most frothing responses he can get. He will then quote you back at home base and claim cool points, saying "his thread is so popular thanks to all the fanboys posting in it." He did this on Steam already.

This is his raison d'etre, and I strongly recommend you just shut the fuck up and stop posting in his thread. He's a yeast infection and you're just scratch scratch scratchin away.

What you need is a time machine. So you can go in the past and play it and then when you come back to the present you'll think its a timeless classic.

Its a good game, and theyv certainly delivered all that they promised. Stop whining.

How is it not a point and click adventure game?
It is.

But it´s not a classic adventure game (what was "promised" during the ks campaign) and it hasn´t HUGE PUZZLES (which is said on Steam).

So I see his point.

I´m not happy with BA too for the same reasons.

But for sure there is no claim for getting money back if you don´t like the product.

I guess future adventures games won´t be funded easily on kickstarter.

Do you guys realize that it’s not a finished game though?
So what?

DF deceided to split it and release Act 1.

Saying "I love it" is ok but saying "I´m not so happy with it (so far)" is not?

So what should we talk about all the time until it´s finished? ;-)

Nah that's okay bro, but calling not what the originals were when you haven't played the entire thing yet seems like a really bold statement , yeah?

About "i am brazilian" and "i did pay 100 dollars" and those arguments: those arguments shouldn't count for anything. Of course you should be treated like everyone else in this situation. If those arguments would count for anything, it would be discrimination against others. Also I think you should not just put all messages here away as "army as fanboys" just because they do not share your opinion and consider your position because of the rational thoughts others bring to the table, just like everyone else in this topic should be careful with calling you a troll.

I somehow expected more people to react like the OP, not because Double Fine didn't live up to the promises and also not because Broken age isn't a good game, it's a very solid and charming game imho. But kickstarter pulled nostalgia to the light that many of us thought gone and that may have caused wrong expectations in some of the backers. If a game isn't produced yet, backers may hear what they want to hear out of the informations that they have about the game and of course the final game will not be able to live up to all of those expectations.

I think it is a good thing that backers now take this opportunity to learn that the company isn't to blame about the expectations that they themselves had. If the majority of the backers did have other expectations than you and are happy, then that shows that your expectations weren't due to false advertisement, but spawn from your subjective way of looking at an unfinished game.

I think backers just need to learn to adapt their expectations even if they are very nostalgic about something and if they cannot handle the result of kickstarter campaigns, they shouldn't pledge.

They should not refund people. They promised a adventure game, and that has been delivered. I think Broken Age has some issues with both story and puzzles. But it is not a bad game. The problem is that both Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle was better games!

But you have to reach for the the stars, if enough people tries someone will succeed. I will continue to support adventure games on Kickstarter. I will also support the next kickstarter that Double Fine makes.

Also. They have delivered another thing besides the game, a game engine!! I guess what other company's will be able to use this engine in the future. So we have helped to fund the infrastructure for more adventure games!

They didn't even HAVE to deliver the game. If development had all gone to hell, that would be perfectly acceptable within the rules of kickstarter. (Now, it would have spelled doom for Double Fine - even if the company managed to survive somehow it would destroy their reputation. Thankfully that didn't happen!)

Rich gay here, looking at all this unchecked privilege I have. I loved the game and think you are being unreasonable. Kickstarters actually have 0 responsibility towards the people that donate. They could turn around and dump a complete pile of shit game that doesn't function on us and we would have zero legal recourse. The fact that double fine has been so open and honest about the game, its financial problems, and direction (both artistic and and mechanical) is astonishing and they should be lauded for it.