Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nathan12343

Joystiq interview with Tim Schafer

youre kidding?? wow thanks! listening to that as soon as I can

edit: greeeaat interview! Im not so sure "insight on puzzle design" is exactly right but still...some very good stuff!

so basically streamlining is the key to mainstream success and thats where he wants to go... thats a little sad.

thats how corporations think. who cares about the mainstream...there is nothing "wrong" with appealing to a niche crowd.

there could have been an easy mode for the casual players as has been pointed out many times.

Maybe he should additionally playtest with some more hardcore adventure gamers instead?

youre kidding?? wow thanks! listening to that as soon as I can

edit: greeeaat interview! Im not so sure "insight on puzzle design" is exactly right but still...some very good stuff!

so basically streamlining is the key to mainstream success and thats where he wants to go... thats a little sad.

thats how corporations think. who cares about the mainstream...there is nothing "wrong" with appealing to a niche crowd.

there could have been an easy mode for the casual players as has been pointed out many times.

What? that's the opposite of what he said, he said usually they would have to think about that stuff and how they could change the format.

However when they did this kickstarter they realized they liked the way it usually is and they don't have to care about making someone who loves shooters enjoy the game.

I think caring about an audience (Tim's way) and caring about how to exploit an audience (EA/Activision's way) are two different things.

maybe I expressed myself clumsily but I didnt mean that I thought he wanted to "exploit the audience" or that this is a sell-out or moneygrab as such. but I did take it to mean that hes felt that the way forward is streamlining and simplifying etc. youre saying he then renegged on that and this is the result of going in the other direction? even with all the hints etc?

especially after jonathans comment I thought he might adress something with tester feedback, or commenting on the difficulty. or consciously not making it as hard as hed liked because so much is riding on act I success outside of the backer sphere. maybe wishing theyd have time to implement a hardcore game mode or...anything. but he seemed like there was no compromises like that.

let me also add that I agree on many of his points. puzzles neednt always be such a big focus - especially when they have to be squeezed in or made stupidly hard by some obscurity. the main charm of AGs in my opinion is to explore the world in a "real" fashion, ie not shooting at or jumping on everything. sometimes it just needs to be interactive and thats totally enjoyable. but if you do have puzzles, and creative and fun ones already, why water it down. and why not cater at least partly to your hardcore fans if you can do that with little extra cost.

<3 you Tim, it's okay. Just fix the puzzles. Stop all the playtestin'

+1

+2
Maybe he should additionally playtest with some more hardcore adventure gamers instead?

+1

My post count:

+1

Pardon all the boring math!

but if you do have puzzles, and creative and fun ones already, why water it down. and why not cater at least partly to your hardcore fans if you can do that with little extra cost.

Because hardcore players are maybe 1 percent or less of the people who will play this game. People who have played dozens of adventure games and just seek out a challenge are a small minority in a niche that enjoys adventure games. To appease them would mean adding wall banging frustration and for many game ending challenges.

I was playing Hotline Miami and I thought it was a pretty fun game, I got to a part in a hospital and I couldn't get passed it. I tried 10 times maybe but I can't do it. The controls are slow and wobbly, the graphics make me sick so I quit playing. If that part of the game was easier I might have went on to beat the game but I don't really care enough to continue even though it was a fun game when I did play it.

Adding a wall to a game will cause many people to quit out of frustration even if you had them up until then.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

The Tim Schafer part starts at circa 1:06:00.

Well, I thought it was a good interview because he seemed to acknowledge a lot of the criticism, and seemed somewhat defensive and harrowed... as he repeated stuff largely previously heard in the documentary. The acknowledgements were small, and a matter of inflections, but it sounded to me like he knew he'd maybe gone too streamlined and was talking through how he got there -- that's why I liked it.

You are reading way into that audio.

but if you do have puzzles, and creative and fun ones already, why water it down. and why not cater at least partly to your hardcore fans if you can do that with little extra cost.

Because hardcore players are maybe 1 percent or less of the people who will play this game. People who have played dozens of adventure games and just seek out a challenge are a small minority in a niche that enjoys adventure games. To appease them would mean adding wall banging frustration and for many game ending challenges.

I was playing Hotline Miami and I thought it was a pretty fun game, I got to a part in a hospital and I couldn't get passed it. I tried 10 times maybe but I can't do it. The controls are slow and wobbly, the graphics make me sick so I quit playing. If that part of the game was easier I might have went on to beat the game but I don't really care enough to continue even though it was a fun game when I did play it.

Adding a wall to a game will cause many people to quit out of frustration even if you had them up until then.

yeah I dont mind that they want to be accessible to a new or bigger crowd. as weve seen, df is expensive to run and they deserve major success and some money in the bank for a change. but - putting in a hard mode or an extra hints on/off switch (that would add those extra dialogue lines etc) is pretty easy, and would solve both issues. as long as you think its an issue at all.

jonathan: sorry I didnt get that at all - other than he said he definitely wanted to be more conservative than the people who said puzzles werent needed at all.

Sign in to follow this