Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rather Dashing

[Mild Vella Spoilers] Are the Blind Eye Cultists faking?

The portrayal for the cultists is so all over the place that I'm not sure if the "joke" with them is that they CAN see but pretend they can't, or that they're able to see because you didn't get holy teargas, or if they're just really poorly written.

When you click on the top of the pyramid, they make a snide remark about your "odd top", and it seems odd for the blind to be commenting about your fashion sense.

Also, there's the issue of when the Dead Eye God emerges.

They SEE him.

I'm really confused on this one.

Am I missing something here?

I think Act 2 will tell us more about the cultists. I thought the joke was that they're just kids pretending to be cult guards and I'd be surprised if they're really blind (and not just "blinded" by the hoods covering their faces). Then again, sacrificing girls to monsters is normal in the Broken Age universe, so maybe these two could be serious cultists in the context of that world.

One of the items you can try giving to them causes them to reject it with a nice sarcastic line: "We're BLIND". I can't remember what it was. Or maybe it was a line of dialogue. It was something they had to see to appreciate. Either way, it's not metaphorical. They are blind. Or at least they say they are.

[ENDING SPOILERS]

I find it interesting they call him the 'dead eye' god. After all, 'dead eye' is another word for being a very accurate shot.

... like someone who might be very good at shooting a large monster with a death ray from a distance, for instance.

Makes me think that it's happened exactly this way in the past.

[ENDING SPOILERS]

I find it interesting they call him the 'dead eye' god. After all, 'dead eye' is another word for being a very accurate shot.

the way its been referenced here on the forums as "blind god" etc I get the feeling localisations dont call him "dead eye god" but rather literally blind or something like it. any takers among those who played those versions?

of course, if it was like you say it would only work in english anyways so maybe its changed completely regardless in other languages.

I thought the whole way they were just two kids role-playing as blind, so they still see everything but then make up excuses every time the fact they obviously aren't blind gets brought up.

They are clearly not blind. They "sense" you. Yeah right...

Blind people are perfectly capable of hearing someone climbing a bunch of stairs and then standing around breathing close by. They're capable of differentiating between two sets of footsteps exiting a room and one set entering it.

I don't remember the cultists mentioning anything about Vella's clothing, but if they did, that would have been a mistake.

This is a world with talking trees... I don't see the huge deal with the existence of two blind cult guards having some "6th sense" thing. Especially since it's played for comedy.

They are clearly not blind. They "sense" you. Yeah right...

Blind people are perfectly capable of hearing someone climbing a bunch of stairs and then standing around breathing close by. They're capable of differentiating between two sets of footsteps exiting a room and one set entering it.

I don't remember the cultists mentioning anything about Vella's clothing, but if they did, that would have been a mistake.

I also thought 'if they were blind I could just crawl past slowly'

It is a game with talking trees, so strange explanations aren't totally off the table, but the explanation that fits easiest with 100% of the dialogue etc is two pretending kiddiwinks.

Sign in to follow this