Sign in to follow this  
DF Anna

Can't Run Game [Mac Edition]

Hey guys,

We're bummed to hear some of you are having trouble running the game. These are the kinds of bugs we're working hard to fix right now. This thread is to help you get it running on OSX.

Here are the minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel Core Duo

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 / Intel HD 3000 / or equivalent card with at least 512 MB VRAM

Hard Drive: 1500 MB available space

OpenGL: OpenGL 3 with GLSL version 1.3

To help us diagnose the problem, please get the latest patch with logging enabled:

1) Right click on Broken Age in Steam

2) Select "Properties"

3) Click on "Set launch options…"

4) Type "--log" (two dashes in front of log) in the text field and click "Okay"

5) Run the game

6) Locate the file "BrokenAge.log" next to the executable (e.g. by browsing the local files in Steam)

Please send the generated log file and the specs of your machine to support@doublefine.com. Don't worry about posting them here -- it's easier for us to track if you email.

Things to try (this section will continue to be updated, so check back if your issue has not been resolved):

Make sure the Steam overlay (the Steam community integration) is disabled:

1] Launch Steam and click on the "Settings" button.

2] Go to the "In-Game-Settings" tab.

3] Uncheck the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" checkbox.

----

If you're experiencing a game freeze, make sure your firewall approved the connection. We're using Google's Analytics to track the bugs and crashes people are getting. If you're running with a firewall and are online, the game will not be able to start until the connection is approved.

----

UPDATE: this incompatibility appears fixed with the last patch!

If you have Oracle's VM VirtualBox installed, it may interfere with the game. You can either try uninstalling it, or doing this sleep trick one of our brilliant backers came up with:

What I do is open Steam try if it can run, if not put the computer in sleepmode, then start the computer after that BA is able to launch again.

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

Uh, how is this even applicable to the Mac OS X version of the game? There's no DirectX on Mac OS. Never has been, never will be.

Even if DirectX were somehow available, a user obviously doesn't need it installed and therefore doesn't need hardware compatible with it. I mean sure, if they were running a dual-boot setup or using an emulation layer to run Windows they'd have access to DirectX, but then the emu/VM doesn't need the native hardware, and if running Windows on a Mac then a person would need to skim over the Windows requirements anyway. :-D

I know you 'Fine programmers know all that, but listing DirectX compatibility as a requirement for non-Microsoft-Windows OS's is silly and misleading. I can even see it leading to customer confusion. After all, most people don't know what DirectX is! I know what it is, you know it too, but the public (and game-players) at large don't know.

So in the "good scenario" people will just ignore it, but in the "bad scenario" they will go, "Gee, what's DirectX?," search online, and then find out a little bit, discovering it isn't available for their OS, and then either be confused or figure, "Guess I can't run it, so I'm not going to buy it."

In all honesty, every consumer computer manufactured in the last... 5 years? 10 years?... has had a sound chip built into the mainboard of it. Listing it as a requirement seems to be (ironically) an un-required step, not just because people would already have a sound card/chip, but because the entire game can be played without a sound card. (And yes, I have played the game with the sound card removed/disabled/not-present.)

Now putting a suggestion or a recommendation for a sound chip seems logical, but remember that even then at most the line should read, "We recommend an SDL-compatible sound chip" as that's what Moai, Broken Age's game engire, really requires.

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

Uh, how is this even applicable to the Mac OS X version of the game? There's no DirectX on Mac OS. Never has been, never will be.

Even if DirectX were somehow available, a user obviously doesn't need it installed and therefore doesn't need hardware compatible with it. I mean sure, if they were running a dual-boot setup or using an emulation layer to run Windows they'd have access to DirectX, but then the emu/VM doesn't need the native hardware, and if running Windows on a Mac then a person would need to skim over the Windows requirements anyway. :-D

I know you 'Fine programmers know all that, but listing DirectX compatibility as a requirement for non-Microsoft-Windows OS's is silly and misleading. I can even see it leading to customer confusion. After all, most people don't know what DirectX is! I know what it is, you know it too, but the public (and game-players) at large don't know.

So in the "good scenario" people will just ignore it, but in the "bad scenario" they will go, "Gee, what's DirectX?," search online, and then find out a little bit, discovering it isn't available for their OS, and then either be confused or figure, "Guess I can't run it, so I'm not going to buy it."

In all honesty, every consumer computer manufactured in the last... 5 years? 10 years?... has had a sound chip built into the mainboard of it. Listing it as a requirement seems to be (ironically) an un-required step, not just because people would already have a sound card/chip, but because the entire game can be played without a sound card. (And yes, I have played the game with the sound card removed/disabled/not-present.)

Now putting a suggestion or a recommendation for a sound chip seems logical, but remember that even then at most the line should read, "We recommend an SDL-compatible sound chip" as that's what Moai, Broken Age's game engire, really requires.

My apologies, I copied that from a different requirement list when I was typing up the post.

I've updated the reqs (notably the Graphics section)

Updated to add that VirtualBox incompatibility appears fixed.

My apologies, I copied that from a different requirement list when I was typing up the post.

I've updated the reqs (notably the Graphics section)

Thanks Anna. You programmers are doing a 'Fine job. I can't imagine how much of a headache it must be dealing with so many various computer hardware and software combinations and trying to get the program to run right with them all. After all, your code could be flawless but thanks to a quirk of the hardware or software that someone is running, something might break anyway!

By the way Double Fine staff, you might want to take the updated req.'s for the Mac and Linux versions and copy them over to Broken Age's Steam page. There's no rush of course, but you'll probably want to do that before public launch day I'm guessing.

And remember: take breaks, drink plenty of water, get good nutrition in your bellies, exercise, get fresh air, and don't work yourselves to the brink of collapse.

Sign in to follow this