Sign in to follow this  
DF Anna

Can’t Run Game [Linux Edition]

Hey guys,

We're bummed to hear some of you are having trouble running the game. These are the kinds of bugs we're working hard to fix right now. This thread is to help you get it running on Linux.

Here are the minimum requirements:

Processor: 1.7 GHz Dual Core

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 / ATI Radeon 4870 HD / Intel HD 4000 / or equivalent card with at least 512 MB VRAM

Hard Drive: 1500 MB available space

OpenGL: OpenGL 3 with GLSL version 1.3

We're only able to support the Ubuntu distro. However, people have had some luck launching the script directly (it will use your system libraries rather than the ones shipped with Steam). If you have advice about this, please do post in this thread!

To help us diagnose the problem, please get the latest patch with logging enabled:

1) Right click on Broken Age in Steam

2) Select "Properties"

3) Click on "Set launch options…"

4) Type "--log" (two dashes in front of log) in the text field and click "Okay"

5) Run the game

6) Locate the file "BrokenAge.log" next to the executable (e.g. by browsing the local files in Steam)

Please send the generated log file and the specs of your machine to support@doublefine.com. Don't worry about posting them here -- it's easier for us to track if you email.

Things to try (this section will continue to be updated, so check back if your issue has not been resolved):

Make sure to update to the latest graphics drivers.

----

Make sure the Steam overlay (the Steam community integration) is disabled:

1] Launch Steam and click on the “Settings” button.

2] Go to the “In-Game-Settings” tab.

3] Uncheck the “Enable Steam Community In-Game” checkbox.

----

If you’re experiencing a game freeze, make sure your firewall approved the connection. We’re using Google’s Analytics to track the bugs and crashes people are getting. If you’re running with a firewall and are online, the game will not be able to start until the connection is approved.

----

If you're seeing a black screen and have a Radeon graphics card, try this solution discovered by the excellent thanius:

There seems to be an incompatibility issue between libSDL2, OpenGL and Radeon cards. The problem seem to reside in the proprietary driver from ATI (fglrx) which makes the game render nothing but darkness.

- To fix the issue, try to update the driver (which seems to be the fix in Windows having the same problem.)

- If that doesn't help, revert back to the open source "radeon" driver. In Ubuntu/Debian-based distributions (including SteamOS, I guess):

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

sudo rm -rf /etc/ati

And reboot.

----

UPDATE: this incompatibility appears fixed with the last patch!

If you have Oracle's VM VirtualBox installed, it may interfere with the game. You can either try uninstalling it, or doing this sleep trick one of our brilliant backers came up with:

What I do is open Steam try if it can run, if not put the computer in sleepmode, then start the computer after that BA is able to launch again.

I got the game to run OK on Arch Linux.

If you're running a 64-bit OS and running into problems (OpenGL error in Steam, or blank screen, or no audio), you may need to make sure you have the 32-bit libraries installed.

This includes 32-bit libraries for your graphics drivers, OpenGL, and PulseAudio (if you have it installed). I'm not certain exactly what other libraries are required.

In Arch, because I wasn't sure exactly which 32-bit libraries are required, in the end I just went the nuclear option and installed them all:

pacman -S $(pacman -Ssq lib32)

I believe on Ubuntu/Debian, you'd do:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

I was then able to run through the "run.sh" script.

I just wanted to point out that if the game works on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and later, it will definitely also work on Linux Mint 13 ("Maya") LTS and later without any issues, because that one is just a (relatively) minor modification of Ubuntu 12.04.

Then again, people who use Linux most probably already know this. :)

(updated the minimum reqs, notably the OS and Graphics)

Works fine with my ATI HD3400. Why did you raise the minimum requirements so high?

Also works fine (sans the crash bugs I reported) with Debian Testing/Jessie (http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/), 64 bit, laptop with Intel Sandybridge, with a bunch of 32 bit libs installed. I am _shocked_ at the lack of pain to get it working! Awesome job guys. Keeping it working in the future is the next problem :)

Linux ... 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

DMI: Dell Inc. Latitude E6320

(updated the minimum reqs, notably the OS and Graphics)

Works fine with my ATI HD3400. Why did you raise the minimum requirements so high?

Well, those are the reqs we could guarantee -- someone reported problems with that card.

We actually got a crash report from someone running it in Windows 98 :D and I was happy to hear that it ran for a while, but we can't guarantee that it will for everyone trying to play the game.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, and maybe it's just me, but the latest update (it was about 740 MB) fails to run on my Gentoo system. Here's the error message:

bash: ./run.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I'm pretty sure the problem is with run.sh, which uses CRLF (Windows) line terminators. I converted it to Unix format using dos2unix and now it works fine.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, and maybe it's just me, but the latest update (it was about 740 MB) fails to run on my Gentoo system. Here's the error message:

bash: ./run.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I'm pretty sure the problem is with run.sh, which uses CRLF (Windows) line terminators. I converted it to Unix format using dos2unix and now it works fine.

Thanks for the fix! It works here too. I just opened run.sh in gedit and used 'save as' to convert the line terminators.

Remember everyone, if you use ./run.sh to run Broken Age, you can still append --log to get the executable to output log files. Just enter

./run.sh --log

from the Broken Age directory (which of course is [ ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age ]).

I'm having problems running the game with the latest patch (Jan 25 11:30am EST). I have already beaten the game twice and actually tried it with last night's patch, which was working AOK. I'm on Ubuntu 13.10 if that helps.

Running it with --log doesn't give a whole lot of information on what's crashing:

Log started: 2014/01/25 @ 14:37:34

Log path: /home//.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/BrokenAge.log

Arg: ./BrokenAge

Arg: --log

Initializing engine

Registering classes

Trying to run run.sh directly from the Broken Age directory with Steam running in the background shows me a segfault.

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘lib’: File exists

[DEBUGLOG] Log started: 2014/01/25 @ 14:37:34

[DEBUGLOG] Log path: /home//.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/BrokenAge.log

[DEBUGLOG] Arg: ./BrokenAge

[DEBUGLOG] Arg: --log

[DEBUGLOG] Initializing engine

[DEBUGLOG] Registering classes

./run.sh: line 14:  1236 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./lib ./BrokenAge $1

I ran it in gdb and got this backtrace:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

0x08998c10 in ?? ()

(gdb) bt

#0  0x08998c10 in ?? ()

#1  0x08514f2a in MOAILuaFactoryClass::Register (

this=0x8a28fb8)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Common/Code/Moai/src/moaicore/MOAILuaObject-impl.h:73

#2  0x08513a80 in MOAICoroutine::RegisterLuaType ()

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Common/Code/Moai/src/moaicore/MOAICoroutine.h:55

#3  0x0851349c in moaicore::InitGlobals (globals=0x8a7bde0)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Common/Code/Moai/src/moaicore/moaicore.cpp:109

#4  0x083d8de6 in AKUCreateContext ()

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Common/Code/Moai/src/aku/AKU.cpp:143

#5  0x082b18c6 in GameRefreshContext (argc=4, argv=0xffffd510)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Dfa/Code/Host-SDL/Src/SDLHost.cpp:1905

#6  0x082b17ca in GameHost (argc=4, argv_=0xffffd624)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Dfa/Code/Host-SDL/Src/SDLHost.cpp:1772

#7  0x082b416f in SteamMain (argc=1, argv=0xffffd624)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Dfa/Code/Host-SDL/Src/main.cpp:142

#8  0x082b4192 in main (argc=1, argv=0xffffd624)

at /dfp/burs/dfp-dfa-rc/Dfa/Code/Host-SDL/Src/main.cpp:212

I hope that helps!

I'm having problems running the game with the latest patch (Jan 25 11:30am EDT).

I'm also having exactly the same issue, though as I have not been able to get time to finish the game, it is even more harrowing.

That said, the system I am running on only has HD3000 class graphics, but it did run fine previously.

I'm having the oposite Problem. Broken Age was running fine this whole time on my Box till the latest updated. Since i updated to the newest version Broken age doesn't start up anymore. I'm on Fedora 20 with Nvidia graficcard and all top hardware.. it really isn't my hardware. It ran fine till the latest version.

Here is the Console output when i try to start the game:

Game update: AppID 232790 "Broken Age", ProcID 2497, IP 0.0.0.0:0

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

mkdir: das Verzeichnis „lib“ kann nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

CGameStreamThread: Added instance ID 2497 for appid 232790

CGameStreamThread: Set render instance ID 2497 for appid 232790

CGameStreamThread: Added instance ID 2498 for appid 232790

(steam:2365): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:2365): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

CGameStreamThread: Added instance ID 2499 for appid 232790

CGameStreamThread: Added instance ID 2500 for appid 232790

/home/user/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/run.sh: Zeile 14: 2500 Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./lib ./BrokenAge $1

Game removed: AppID 232790 "Broken Age", ProcID 2497

Focused window is now 0, 0

OnFocusWindowChanged to unknown window type: k_EWindowTypeNonSteamDesktop, 0

I can confirm the segfault with the newest update. Right after the game went live on Steam I was able to run it.

Log started: 2014/01/25 @ 21:59:44

Log path: /home/vault/alex/Software/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/BrokenAge.log

Initializing engine

Registering classes

Verified on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit Nvidia GT 630M (optimus). Same segfault. Verified cache. Worked fine even this morning until the update was pushed out.

I can confirm the segfault with the newest update. Right after the game went live on Steam I was able to run it.

Log started: 2014/01/25 @ 21:59:44

Log path: /home/vault/alex/Software/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/BrokenAge.log

Initializing engine

Registering classes

I'm having the same problem.

Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit, GeForce GTX 470 with nVidia proprietary drivers

After a bit of further experimentation and a clean install, I think I've actually identified two separate problems:

1) The run.sh script is creating broken links "libSDL2.so" and "libSDL2-2.0.so.0" as a result of problems with relative paths.

The script runs from the main Broken Age folder, but it creates the links in the "lib" sub-folder.

The target of the link is a relative path to ./lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.0.0, which would be the correct path relative to where the script is running, but is an invalid path (has an extra "lib/") relative to where the link is actually created, resulting in a broken link.

2) Even if I manually fix the links, I still get stopped by the seg fault error that others have described.

./run.sh: line 14: 4844 Segmentation fault (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./lib ./BrokenAge $1

Same seg fault error since last steam game update.

Happy to see I'm not alone. I hope it will be fixed soon.

(I also had the broken link created by run.sh but the workaround is easy)

Hey folks. Sorry about the inconvenience here! The team's on this and we'll send word when it's addressed.

Identical crash here. 64-bit Fedora 20 system. Worked fine last night, so it seems it was the little update today.

Same problem here. Segfault on Jan 25 update. Ubuntu 13.04 (yeah, I should probably update). Intel chipset (xorg edgers updates enabled). Worked fine until the update. I suppose there is a lot of information on the forum already about this, but if any of the devs need more I would be happy to supply whatever.

Same problem since the Update from yesterday. Before that the game ran without any problems. I am running it under Ubuntu 13.10 (64 bit).

Output of the Log:

Log started: 2014/01/26 @ 11:27:38

Log path: /home/risc/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/BrokenAge.log

Initializing engine

Registering classes

Last output of command line (if you try to start it manually):

./run.sh: Zeile 14: 5503 Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./lib ./BrokenAge $1

So it seems to be a segment fault, as already reported here.

I get the same problem as everyone else and I've got a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 with an Nvidia GT 630M video card.

Sign in to follow this