Sign in to follow this  
Myriam

Did you switch between Shay and Vella's stories?

Did you switch between Shay and Vella?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Did you switch between Shay and Vella?

• Nope. Played Vella first, then Shay.
    • Nope. Played Shay first, then Vella.
    • A couple of times.
    • Often.
    • I was the Switch King!! Leaving me a bit schizofrenic now...

Let's have another poll, I love those ;). Apart from that I'm very curious about the choices you guys made while playing. I decided to play one of the two (Vella in my case) first before starting the other story, because I figured I would be able to bond with the character more and the impact of their individual stories would be greater than when I switched between them.

On the other hand, maybe there were some of you who switched deliberately to experience the connection between the characters more... to get a grasp of these stories happening simultaneously (although that was at first a question mark for me)... or simply because you were curious or temporarily fed up with either clouds or space ;).

Whenever I got stuck or bored I would switch. I played Vella first and when I got into the second area I switched to Shay until he got into his more open area, then I crashed Vella into a house and finished out with Shay and then finished with Vella.

Never got stuck so had no reason to switch. Vella all the way through, then Shay.

I got semi-stuck and switched to Vella, played about 5 min, back to Shay, finished and then finished Vella.

I mostly switched at what seemed like meaningful breaks in the story, and went back and forth trying to pace them somewhat evenly.

I started with Vella and got stuck around half-way through Meriloft, I then switched to Shay and was really engrossed with his story so I finished his story because I went back to Vella.

I switched at almost every significant story beat, and also occasionally when I just missed playing the other character. So a lot of switching going on.

I actually thought it worked out really well. I really enjoyed it. Next time I play the game I might play one all the way through first.

I wasn't sure whom to choose in the beginning. I finally decided to go with Shay and played him until his part was done. I thought a couple of times about switching, but I was too involved into what was going on to divert my attention. It's definitely a nice idea to let players choose this, but I'm glad I played both parts in once piece, felt right.

I really enjoyed switching, because I tend to get antsy if I play as one character in one world with one set of challenges for too long.

Interesting to see that, so far, about half switched and half didn't.

I played Shay first, because I was using 10 year-old logic and wanted to go with the one that was in a spaceship.

I never got to a point that I felt like I "should" switch, so I didn't.

Played Shay through until I couldn't play his section anymore.

Pretty much the same as Dashing. Started with Shay and played right through. At no point did it even occur to me to switch even though I knew I could. I never got stuck or bored enough to need the break.

I think being able to switch between the characters was great! As the puzzles where not connected between the stories (as that are in dot) I could switch when I got stuck or liked some variety in setting. Just great design!

I started with Vella, later on got stuck because of overlooked area, so I switched to Shay for a moment.

Decided I would play each up until the point Double Fine said would be entering spoiler territory, then would focus on one or the other for an hour or so until I got stuck on one or two puzzles for each of them.

I didn't know I could switch...

Either way, I was happy to play through Shay first.

Like others are saying, I switched at all the major story breaks. I started with Vella, switched when I got to Meriloft, played Shay until I got to the part where he has full run of the ship, switched back to Vella, played until the lumberjacks house, switched back to Shay, finished him up, then back to Vella and finished that up. Vella's part was definitely more broken into discreet areas, so it was easy to find good stopping places. Vella's part also seemed longer. But is that just due to the variety of areas and extra characters (more time spent walking and talking)?

Like others are saying, I switched at all the major story breaks. I started with Vella, switched when I got to Meriloft, played Shay until I got to the part where he has full run of the ship, switched back to Vella, played until the lumberjacks house, switched back to Shay, finished him up, then back to Vella and finished that up. Vella's part was definitely more broken into discreet areas, so it was easy to find good stopping places. Vella's part also seemed longer. But is that just due to the variety of areas and extra characters (more time spent walking and talking)?

This is almost exactly the same as me.

I chose Shays story line and played it through... For me the biggest challenge with Shay was working out the maze like space ship to get where I knew I wanted to go... I scribbled a quick map in the end. I think I might have switched a couple of time if I had done the Vella story arc as I was stuck for a few moments when thinking what to use in the temple. To be honest though.. that was the only point in the whole game where I had that aha moment.. The rest was enjoying the interactive story book (very much like the direction Tell Tale has now gone).

Interesting to see that, so far, about half switched and half didn't.

Yes, it's funny, some people really loved it while for me it didn't add a lot of value to the game. For part 2 though I think I'll switch at major breaks in the stories, as some described in this thread.

I played Shay first, must have been because we heard a lot more about him during the development. I think the idea was that you can switch to another problem if one gets to hard for now which simply i did feel no need for because of the often talked about "to easy" problem. I think sometime in part two we might actually have to switch between the two to get riddles solved.

I switched characters at what seemed like good dramatic stopping points. It worked out really well!

played shay all the way and then vella. I am not sure why I went for Shay first, maybe I had the impression of being better able to identify with him?

Maybe it is also, because his story makes the impression of being darker and less "sweet" just from the looks of the title-screen (I tend to prefer darker athmosphere in games like in grim fandango or secret of monkey island to colorful approaches like in day of the tentacle).

I didn't switch even once. I played Shay first because I like the "spaceship" setting, it was very appealing to me visually.

I have switched (still playing, finished Vella already) and I have quite a theory about how both stories are connected, which makes me enjoy the game a lot more than before I did.

The good thing is that it does not feel obvious , I'm still not sure I'm right.

This makes story as a whole a perfect puzzle for me.

I started out with Vella and somewhere in the cloud colony i switched to shay and finished his before going back and finishing vellas side. I only switched because I got stuck on getting Gus down but never switched back as i never got stuck during shays side. In hindsight, I don't think switching is really necessary at all during act one as you have no idea the stories are linked, i think playing shay first then vella makes the most sense. However, I could see it being a really cool mechanic to introduce during act 2 after the reveal/cross over and could even be a way to bump up the difficulty ala day of the tentacle.

I started as Vella, and played her story until meeting Curtis. I finished all the dialogue options with him, and then switched to Shay's story rather than leaving Curtis's house. After that, I played Shay's story to completion, and was transferred back to Vella, and proceeded to finish the game.

Which I really enjoyed, by the way.

I switched once or twice at the start, to see what the button did, or if the characters would interact in some way.

Ended up playing through all of Shay's after the button to switch back to Shay became available.

Considered switching back, but Shay's was too interesting to leave.

Switched often, almost always right after finishing a "big" puzzle (I mean, as "big" as they get on broken age). I suppose it helps keeping the game fresh and interesting.

No switching here. Didn't actually realise how to do it and wasn't too bothered about finding out how to. I would have rather the game necessitated switching somehow but I don't know how you'd implement that.

Sign in to follow this