Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter

Developing games for a “broader audience”

But you can and will continue arguing it's the other way around, and that all old puzzles were obtuse, and that the old games were for kids, anyway.

Which seems like an oxymoron.

C'mon you guys, playing with a walkthrough does spoil the experience -- and apparently skews what people like and remember as important about the games quite a lot. Trying to argue it's the the other way around is the equivalent of saying you ran through [insert genre here] with godmode on, and you still know better than anyone else what the important elements of [game] are.

I think it fundamentally skews peoples perception of what the pacing of those games was, why it was special, and why it is gone in this game. But you can and will continue arguing it's the other way around, and that all old puzzles were obtuse, and that the old games were for kids, anyway.

Yeah, because that's what's happening. It's highly annoying that you can't seem to accept that someone might actually have a legitimate different opinion about what's important about these games.

It may be a widely accepted way of enjoying adventure games now, but I doubt that was the intent when they were first created. What has spawned is a strange, and yes, kewed perception of what adventures originally were. That's all fine and good. The problem is some people call this an "evolution" of the genre when the original design playstyle philosophy of "walkthroughs are cheating" was perfectly fine and there is still nothing wrong with it, yet it's almost an endangered species.

Everything is fine well and dandy as long as both parties are getting what they want and not putting out the other, which is happening in spades on this forum.

Yes, walkthroughs are cheating. I kinda feel guilty anyway than. Its also a big line for me to even cross. So i am before that like really thinking if i gonne do it. Sadly afterwards you kinda sometimes gonne still have the feeling "well the walkthrough might be a solution" haha

So you really have to have some self control if you don't wanne to ruin your game expirience.

But well, playing a game is a very personal thing. So, as long as the expirience of that person, who is playing that game, is all fine, why not.

For me is it also a relaxing thing. I want to relax in a game after a stressful day. So if i was still a teenager and would have nothing to worry about, i would still be like: Yes, now i should not search for any hint and solve this thing for my own!

But i do really trying very exact just to get to that point where i am stucked for too long and not even one hint further. To save for me that expierience.

But well. The thing about games is, that you do wanne have fun! So if you do not have any fun anymore with that puzzle, and maybe because you are older your time for that game also is kinda limited. Well, be fine with whatever you do.

I don't mind a easy mode also, now as the game is super easy anyway. They should have their easy mode.

This whole "new storm for adventure" "Revive adventures" "bring back a dead genre"-thing got me really like in a mood like: Telltale quitted oldschoolish adventure themes. Amanita got that one hit but now have kinda not that big crew anymore on its hand. And didn't do a compareable adventure still. So i really became that: Oh my! Last chance for adventures-kinda feeling about that whole broken age thing. What was really a product of their marketing as well.

So. As now kickstarter is the new place for adventures and i am shure gonne back Armikrog or Obduction, or even both, i am at the moment chillign down about that whole broken age thing again.

That game is pretty much fine. If this is not the last adventure game ever made. And if maybe even double fine gonne make a second adventure (which i only gonne buy if someone says: "The difference between broken age and this difficulty-wise is big!" haha "who missed the puzzles in broken age now is gonne be satisfied" …) i am fine with it and it's expirience.

And now that Tim already made a statement. Well. They went simply out of money for puzzles.

Yes, bad logistic maybe. On the other side they was one of the first that even tried this kind of funding. And needed to make their way through it.

Now maybe sometimes my critics even was a bit harsh. Well. But to be honest i wouldn't have missed that last sparkel in that corner, and that fluffy something over there in the cloud, i would even had been totally cool with flat graphics and stuff. As long as the gameplay would have been that one thing, that would have been the thing of interest in this project.

What ever. I am not blind, so i can totally enjoy that sheer beauty of that game and the sweet nice humor in that dialog trees and little interactions.

So i had my down with that game. Than i even had my down with that whole genre. But now, well. Who knows what the future brings. I am cool now.

At least that bad mood about that whole theme "adventures" in general in here, brought me quite nice hints for other adventure games are beeing made. So well, thank you guys for that!

I rarely use guides. I use a walkthrough in cases when I get frustrated for some reason with a puzzle. And usually it turns out that the puzzle is either very illogical or bugged for some reason.

I think that's the way of the future, is those kind of verbs, but someone could just come along with a really clever design where they pick you know, three or six verbs along the bottom of the screen that are just the most amazing, crazy verbs and they change the way that a player interacts with the world, and it's so great and they publish that game and they just prove the whole thing wrong. So, someone should go do that.

I really wanted to do a game where the verbs are just different than they've ever been before. Like, the verb "vouch" like, you know when you vouch for somebody? That's an important thing. But you never like, have that verb in a game. You don't go vouching for someone usually, like "I'm going to vouch for you." So I want to make an adventure game where all the verbs are like that. They're just "vouch", you know, "empathise", I don't know, "agitate."[/i]

brb, stealing ideas

On one hand, I'm happy they're addressing the puzzle issue in Act II. On the other hand, half of the game has been ruined for me.

I'm sad, because you'd think a veteran like Tim should know how to prevent those problems he's talking about... :-(

I would really like if they "fixed" the first part of the game... but I'm afraid the ship has already sailed.

Although an adventure game is usable with one verb, I think it suffers from it via lack of flavour. Fair enough, it might get tiring writing jokes for all of 9 verbs for each part of the world, but that's where a bunch of the illusion of freedom comes from - you can actually get the guy to try and eat the rubber chicken or whatever. Similarly, voice actors make it so much harder and expensive to include all these reactions and meandering dialogue trees, you end up with a much more railroaded experience. I can't help but think the whole genre should just go back to Monkey Island 2 tech.

"alleviate", "combust", etc... maybe a dynamic set of commands depending on the situation, instead of collecting inventory the character is given "hints" during conversations that show up as new verbs... or something.... surely I can't be the first to think of this?

"alleviate", "combust", etc... maybe a dynamic set of commands depending on the situation, instead of collecting inventory the character is given "hints" during conversations that show up as new verbs... or something.... surely I can't be the first to think of this?

That sounds a bit like Loom, Finding Teddy and at least one or two Flash games that I've played but can't remember the names of at the moment.

Sign in to follow this