Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marilyn John

Steam pricing

Hey there backers forum! Haven't seen you in a year or so but I'm glad to be back :)

I have played a part of the game now and I sure love it. And looking back on it, I couldn't be more pleased about backing this project. From being able to follow the progress in that great documentary to now actually playing the game, I see the project as pure success.

But as the title of this post would reveal, I do have a concern. And that is the pricing on Steam. Lately, I've been growing increasingly grumpy with game developers charging their european customers so much more money for their games. Indie developers are generally more fair when setting their USD/EUR prices, while some AAA publishers actually put a higher price in euros than in dollars, which in some cases make the games practically twice as expensive in Europe than in the USA. And this is on a digital platform where shipping and manufacturing isn't an issue. So, imagine my disappointment when I browsed over to http://www.steamprices.com and typed in Broken Age to check out what any non-backers would pay for it. With the current 10%-off pre-order deal you'd pay €20,69 vs. $22,49. That means you pay ~ $28 if you're European, with the current exchange rates. Sure, not the worst price difference out there, but Double Fine still think you should pay about 25% more just for being European. On Kickstarter we all payed the same no matter where we came from, which to me seems way more fair. To some people it probably seems cheap to whine about paying ~$5,5 more (which I agree is not alot). But I've grown so sick of this sneaky way of using Steam regions to squeeze money out of game consumers that I've decidedly NOT bought games that have had a noticable price difference between dollars and euros, just because I felt so scammed. I'd hate to see people turning down this game just because someone decided you could get away with squeezing more money out of Europeans than Americans.

And I'm of course glad that I payed for the game when I did, so I can enjoy the game as we speak WITHOUT feeling scammed :)

Just saying...

Don't forget europeans sales taxes are included while in the us sales tax will be added after the buy.

If I use the current conversion rate and add 21% tax the current prices are about correct on steam.

Just a quick heads up a lot of the reason why the European prices are higher are due to VAT here in Europe. It's not so much the developers fault but rather the government.

Edit: Looks like nulian got there before me

Don't forget europeans sales taxes are included while in the us sales tax will be added after the buy.

If I use the current conversion rate and add 21% tax the current prices are about correct on steam.

Yep, you nailed it there. The convention in the US is for the sales tax to not be included in the listed price and you only get charged it when you check out.

Hey there backers forum!...

It's always been like this on Steam. People who wish to pay same as their American buddy can wait for GOG delivery or use services like GreenManGaming - that uses $ - if available.

I never had them use $ for me. But with their 20% off coupons I can get to the same price level as the $ price on Steam easier.

EA forces their overblown Pound Sterling prices on there for me though.

Yeah, GMG depends on country too. I am living in the UK now and can see the service is expended for British users while Steam prices are in pounds. I have been avoiding EA section because you need to click first on the offer to discover how "amazingly deep" discount of the game absurdly priced in Euros is.

In Czech Rep, they still let us purchase it in dollars, a combination with coupons makes it the best offer I can get for any Steam key (plus Steam doesn't receive a cent).

EDIT: HumbleBundle store sells game at same price worldwide too.

Sign in to follow this