Sign in to follow this  
TheDrisk

Suggestions on making it tougher for act two

I appreciate the balance is tough, in adventure games... allowing for the casual gamer whilst satisfying the adventure game core.

But with act one, I felt the issue with the difficulty was there was too many clues that you were forced to hear whether you wanted to or not..This was particuarly true for Shays story arc, but also Vella's. One way I think it could be done in act two is the Broken Sword style of choosing the hints if you are stuck.. So it can appeal to both the causal and adventure game camps.

Tim could maybe incorporate it into a character that game player has with him... like in the Zelda Minish cap, Mr Stuffwell in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga or Comic Jumper games. You could just imagine fun dialogue of a robot or talking watch or something..saying are you sure you want to have a hint again? or something like that.

Another thing that made this easy was the lack of interactable objects.. I get this was probably a cost thing..as your top brass recorded dialogue wont be cheap.. but it was a shame as often it was so obvious what you had to do because nothing else was interactable.

Finally can I suggest incoroprating hidden secrets in the game to increase longetivity. So for example have cute furry critters in the game called Bugz as a seperate sidequest (could be anything..lteral Easter Eggs or whatever)...they serve no purpose in the game but to collect them... If you do this right then you can stretch out so much more playtime with your game as people try to find them all... Zelda did this in Ocarina of Time (with the Spider masks) Professor Layton with the extra puzzles and hint coins even Doom ...and of course Mario games do it so well and recently Rayman Legends as well. It would really entice people to click on everything and go exploring.. There is nothing quite like hunting down secrets like this and as long as you keep it as a seperate count (so you have all you have collected previously) then a lot of people will re-play until all is collected up..a reward short animation or something for collecting them all would be good as well.

Anyway love the game and can't wait until Act Two.

Another idea, not for toughness but longetivity... Maybe have small books.. or letters or things that can be found and read that trigger memories that you can find and read to build up even more backstory to the world you are in. The Gone Home game has recently done this very well. For example I remember one of the documentaries (which were fab and worth the donation alone in my opinion) where one of the Red team said about Vellas house and how the pictures on the wall should be Grandpa in battle gear to give that warrior history... On playing the game when in the house I went straight to those pictures, hoping it would tell me that backstory or something... Now I appreciate all this is extra effort and money.. but a written letter or diary or recorded captains log can really make the world so much richer..and with Tim or a student author hired you could probably include the above with minimal time or costs (I imagine? )

I've had some similar thoughts. They have to bridge the gap so that the people (hardcore adventure gamers) who aren't satisifed with the difficulty can get a proper challenge if they want while keeping Act 2 accessible for people who have never played before.

I think the better route to would be an option to turn some of the hints off. The default should be a natural difficulty curve from how Act 1 currently is and shouldn't suddenly get way harder for people.

The optional content, collectibles, and Easter Eggs is a good idea that I was also thinking of.

The other idea I had was for them to put an optional retro-style adventure game with limited graphics, text only, midi music that you could play on one of the computers on the ship. That could start you off with a bunch of items already in inventory so that they could give you very challenging puzzles there right off the bat. The plot of the game within a game could be a fictionalized version of part of the backstory for Broken Age.

Since they apparently scaled back the difficulty near the end, due to playtester feedback (hope You'll be playtesting Your playtesters next time! :P), I'm wondering how exactly would we all react to that "original" state. Could it be possible to still give us that, if not directly modifying the release at this point, maybe as a (free, duh) "Hard(er) Mode" DLC or something?

Since they apparently scaled back the difficulty near the end, due to playtester feedback (hope You'll be playtesting Your playtesters next time! :P), I'm wondering how exactly would we all react to that "original" state. Could it be possible to still give us that, if not directly modifying the release at this point, maybe as a (free, duh) "Hard(er) Mode" DLC or something?

didn't realize that was the case. would totally be interested in the original state as well.

The other idea I had was for them to put an optional retro-style adventure game with limited graphics, text only, midi music that you could play on one of the computers on the ship. That could start you off with a bunch of items already in inventory so that they could give you very challenging puzzles there right off the bat. The plot of the game within a game could be a fictionalized version of part of the backstory for Broken Age.

I really, really, really like this idea.

Requires whole other game to be conceived...but it sounds amazing. And to play the game, you could hide the cartridge/disc for the game somewhere only seasoned adventure gamers would find it. And not only that, there could be other, simpler game discs/cartridges hidden around the ship that could be played too. Mini-games!

Not going to happen, but it'd be nice. :)

Requires whole other game to be conceived...but it sounds amazing. And to play the game, you could hide the cartridge/disc for the game somewhere only seasoned adventure gamers would find it. And not only that, there could be other, simpler game discs/cartridges hidden around the ship that could be played too. Mini-games!

So basically Maniac Mansion that can be found in Day of the Tentacle. Nice idea, but a huge amount of work for Double Fine to do.

Regarding the difficulty - I think we should be careful what we wish for. While it might please some people on this forum if the puzzles were ramped up in act 2, we have to remember that the eventual aim is to release this game as a coherent whole, with act 1 merging seamlessly into act 2. We've all played games with massive difficulty spikes in them (and I've given up on quite a few) - I think we need to accept that Broken Age is meant for an audience wider than 'hardcore adventure gamers' (whatever they are) and learn to love the game for what it is.

Tim's already said in the documentary that there will be a gradual increase in complexity as the game progresses, I think we should trust Double Fine to make the right choices here rather than pressuring them to crowbar in a hint system or 'extra-difficult' mode.

Regarding the difficulty - I think we should be careful what we wish for. While it might please some people on this forum if the puzzles were ramped up in act 2, we have to remember that the eventual aim is to release this game as a coherent whole, with act 1 merging seamlessly into act 2. We've all played games with massive difficulty spikes in them (and I've given up on quite a few) - I think we need to accept that Broken Age is meant for an audience wider than 'hardcore adventure gamers' (whatever they are) and learn to love the game for what it is.

Tim's already said in the documentary that there will be a gradual increase in complexity as the game progresses, I think we should trust Double Fine to make the right choices here rather than pressuring them to crowbar in a hint system or 'extra-difficult' mode.

Speaking of crowbarring, why not include a crowbar as an inventory item, because every graphic adventure game has to have one, right?

Regarding the difficulty - I think we should be careful what we wish for.

I was already thinking: it's gonna be so funny when we end up complaining that part 2 is too difficult!

So basically Maniac Mansion that can be found in Day of the Tentacle. Nice idea, but a huge amount of work for Double Fine to do.

http://www.doublefine.com/games/host_master

http://www.doublefine.com/games/host_master_deux

Well, they made both these and put them up on the web for free. Something the size of both put together would be plenty long enough for an optional side-game. It doesn't have to be a full narrative game on its own, just the last act.

I think it'd be a lot less work than "Mega Broken Age" mode or adding in some elaborate optional puzzles in Act 2, since there's not the level of art work, voice acting, etc needed that there would be in the main game.

I think what's only missing is one extra layer of difficulty in each puzzle. To often in chapter 1, you had had the object in your inventory when you encountered the puzzle, and that was that.

The whole puzzle structure in it is great, the creativity of them of also. I want more of the same, but I want one more interaction in each puzzle, and objects being available first after you have aquired something to get them.

Sign in to follow this