Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kiwikwi

[annoyance] Inventory UI

This game looks absolutely fantastic. Several times, I found myself just looking at the screen, not interacting, just enjoying the imagery.

The great looks probably also explains why I find the inventory button so distracting. :-) So, a couple of notes on that:

1) The button and icon feels out of place in the gameplay area. Except for a slightly ruffled look, it's like something straight out of the Windows 8 design manual.

That wouldn't be too bad, except that: 2) It keeps popping up after every cutscene and after every character interaction, even when my mouse isn't anywhere near it and even though I haven't acquired new items! It's fine to have it pop up at the beginning, to introduce the feature to new players, but once the game gets going, that button should never appear again without reason. You could e.g. hide the button after the player has opened inventory, say, 3 times.

3) It glows gold and there's a "ding" whenever I acquire new inventory. I'd rather not have the button at all, but I admit that there are instances where it'd otherwise not be apparent that items are acquired - e.g. when Vella grabs the cupcake at the start of her story. But is it really necessary to force the player to explicitly acknowledge the new item by opening inventory? It's not like the player is forced to acknowledge other critical pieces of information in the game. And what about briefly flashing the item icon in the corner instead of the inventory button? Then I don't have to go into inventory to see what I picked up, either.

Either way, this brings me to: 4) Shay has just fallen into a dark canyon, when the two yellow eyes of Marek appears. This is very effective at setting the mood. It's less effective when the two yellow eyes become three, and Marek's dialoge is interrupted by the "ding" of a newly acquired item. Please, no dings or icons during cutscenes! The notification can come after the cutscene completes.

Also: 5) Yes, Vella keeps retrieving that ladder. No need to point it out every single time it returns to her inventory.

On the bright side, this was actually the only significant annoyance during my playthrough of an otherwise excellent game. So, thanks! (Also, I get it if game crashes get higher priority than a redesign of the inventory UI. ;))

I completely and utterly agree. The inventory system truly needs some work, as right now that flap and that "reminder" system is sort of ruining the game. Yes, I actually think it is that jarring.

First of all, I don't get the visual idea of the flap at all. At least not "stuck" to the inventory screen. When the inventory screen pops up, the flap should just disappear. It looks really ugly sitting on top of the inventory, and when the inventory is up, it serves absolutely no function. It just eats screen space and looks ugly.

Secondly, that flap, if it is even to be used, needs to stay the hell away from the screen. It's ugly as sin, and it steals attention. Having the "reminder" system on top of that is just absolute madness. I feel like I'm watching the Mona Lisa while someone is poking me in the eye with a rusty nail.

I sincerely hope Double Fine will reconsider the flap and the "reminder" system. It really needs to change.

Hi Kiwikwi. I can respond to two of your comments.

2) This was actually supposed to be taken out if I recall correctly so it doesn't pop up after cutscenes.

4) I moved the ding to the end of cutscene.

Hi Guys,

Related, but also possibly a bug:

Every time I click the inventory flap, it also registers as a click in the area next to it, resulting in Shay or Vella starting to walk to the left. This is a minor annoyance, but a bigger issue when there is an exit to the bottom left, especially if I am close to. Trying to open the inventory results in moving to the area on the left before you have a chance to use the item you want.

This may not be a problem in every version of the game, as I suspect someone would have reported it by now. I'm on a mac, Mavericks 10.9.1. Seems to happen every time as I play this morning.

The bug is particularly annoying when trying to give Jessie her egg back as, having just come back from the tree, Vella immediately returns to it when I try to open the inventory. I had to walk all the way over to the other side of Jessie to have enough time to drag the egg to Jessie before Vella left the area.

Should I make another post about it, as a separate bug?

I saw a post about it yesterday, so it's not just you having the problem.

Can't remember which thread it was in, though.

Hi, I have a small note to add to the inventory which I haven't seen mentioned by someone else before. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post. I did find this thread but somehow this "Broken Age Bugs and Feedback" subforum right here seems … more official …?

Anyway, while playing the game it happened multiple times that I tried to open the inventory by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom edge of the screen. Then I remembered that opening the inventory has to be done rather in the lower left corner. Given that the inventory bar slides up from the edge to show and down into the edge to hide, I find it very intuitive to just use the edge.

Didn't anyone else have that irk to go straight down?

Sign in to follow this