Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DVersion

Why does Vella want to kill Mog Chothra?

I never understood this motivation. She seemed to be all into being a sacrifice and then at the last minute she wants to escape and then has a mission to kill Mog.

I understand that Grandpa Beastender sort of suggests that she was a warrior but he didn't give some riveting speech. In fact, like really all the fantastic characters in this game I felt I didn't spend enough time with Vella's family to really get a sense of why Vella would not only want to do the sacrifice but also escape from it. If the Grandpa sort of insisted that Vella is meant for bigger things, that if he had the strength he would never let this happen to her, I would sort of understand but it sort of comes from nowhere.

With Shay, i understand why he wants to escape from his routine, why he's sort of an ass to the computer. I get to spend enought ime with him and his "family" to understand his dynamics.

Did anyone else wonder why Vella was insentient on killing Mog Chothra?

You don't understand why somebody wouldn't want to be killed and have generations of their village sacrificed to an uncaring god?

Granted they could have expanded on why Vella (other than her uncle) is the only one that wants to fight back; but really I spent most of the game wondering how anybody was actually celebrating the ceremony and why people where actually competing for the "honour".

You don't understand why somebody wouldn't want to be killed and have generations of their village sacrificed to an uncaring god?

Granted they could have expanded on why Vella (other than her uncle) is the only one that wants to fight back; but really I spent most of the game wondering how anybody was actually celebrating the ceremony and why people where actually competing for the "honour".

I understand why someone would but I don't understand why Vella would.

Like I guess my problem is that I don't think her character is as developed as many of the other characters. She never seemed to express an aggressive side to her or a rebellious side. Or even a realization to question what is going on.

she seemed sceptical of the whole situation in general, I don't think she ever wanted to go through with it, her grandpa merely sparked the idea of how she could avoid going through it. What seemed to be the thing with Vella is she was a very unlikely choice for a sacrifice, so the thing I was wondering about is why did she get chosen when she was such an unlikely sacrifice and completely contrasted the other maidens.

I had no trouble seeing her motivation, I was more curious about the motivation of the other maidens, I can't imagine a 16 year old girl that would sacrifice herself for her parents just cause they said so.

I had no trouble seeing her motivation, I was more curious about the motivation of the other maidens, I can't imagine a 16 year old girl that would sacrifice herself for her parents just cause they said so.

If you raise someone since birth to believe being sacrificed is a great honor.

Well I guess that's the thing. She seemed to be okay with being sacrificed, hell she even foils her grandfather's plan to stop her from being sacrificed. Maybe if when the first girl was eaten she would of reacted stronger I would of believed the transition a bit more.

I didn't wonder about that. What I thought was strange, was that Vella seemed entirely unconcerned with what was going on in the beginning. And I guess that's what he meant too.

The first character who said anything against being sacrificed was the grandpa, not Vella. She, at first, seemed only interested in helping her mother find the knife.

If Vella wouldn't have tried to escape we wouldn't have a game, but she didn't give away that she would try to do that. Was she trying to deceive her family into believing she had given up?

Given how Vella was introduced I would have guessed that she somehow would survive the sacrifice by accident.

I understand why someone would but I don't understand why Vella would.

Like I guess my problem is that I don't think her character is as developed as many of the other characters. She never seemed to express an aggressive side to her or a rebellious side. Or even a realization to question what is going on.

That is pretty much the major problem with the whole game, at least for me personally. Character development is pretty lackluster; because we spend so little time with individual people. Shay comes out on top purely because he is one of only three real characters we meet and as such gets more time to develop. A more refined motivation for Vella hardly seemed lacking in contrast to the other characters of the game. Hopefully with the roles (seemingly) reversed for Act II we'll get more insight on the girl and the preexisting characters.

As for it was Grandpa that first suggested that Vella not go through with it, maybe that's down to who you talk to first. Pretty sure Vella mentioned it first without provocation....but maybe I'm just misremembering.

That is pretty much the major problem with the whole game, at least for me personally. Character development is pretty lackluster; because we spend so little time with individual people. Shay comes out on top purely because he is one of only three real characters we meet and as such gets more time to develop. A more refined motivation for Vella hardly seemed lacking in contrast to the other characters of the game. Hopefully with the roles (seemingly) reversed for Act II we'll get more insight on the girl and the preexisting characters.

I think I agree. I mean I have to think back to Grim Fandango and even games like Psychonauts where you spend enough time in a location and you really get to know the characters and their relationships to one another. Still, on a positive note, I think all the side characters feel very distinct and you sort of get to know what they're all about even thought you spend so little time with them (makes me think back to Tim's development thread.)

Like stand outs for me are Rocky, "Father", and that cloud colony sacrifice girl.

I spend so little time with them yet I already know a lot about them, it's a real shame that I don't get to spend more time with them and interact with them more.

I thought it was pretty clear, honestly.

It seemed like she didn't want to run from her problems("time to face the cupcakes" and foiling her grandpa's plan) but also wanted to really SOLVE the problem(so she says, immediately, in her first sequence, "Why can't we kill Mog Chothra?").

but doesn't she literally run from her problems by running away from Mog Chothra?

She escapes to not be eaten and to find a way to fight him, which is made clearer by her asking people to help her kill mog chothra, as well as some dialogue options for some characters on how to kill it. It's not like she can take him on with that knife.

They have been groomed for it their entire lives. It's all a not too subtle metaphor, basically.

I really don't get what's hard to understand.

Vella is the foil. She's the exception that proves the rule.

The (ultimately unimportant) question is, can you imagine a world in which girls are willing, even excited to "die" for an ancient ritual?

Imagine all the other things that devotees do. Everything from suicide bombings to going to church every weekend. Or even going to work every day.

I was wondering something related: why is she not afraid of the monster?

Why isn't *anyone* afraid?

It seems like everyone knows the sacrificed girls are not really being killed!

I at least was convinced they were not really dead from the beginning, just because for some reason everyone including Vella seemed to be quite confident about that.

Maybe, if at least Vella had only showed the *slightest* bit of fear of being killed, which would be only natural, this would make two things about her character better:

1: she would be a lot more real, self-aware and clever than everyone around her

2: we would sympathize with her motivation for killing the monster: she wants to friggin' live! And not die!

Right now it looks like she wants to kill the monster out of some kind of rational suspicion or skepticism. That is indeed not enough.

Sign in to follow this