Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gokeyp

[Feedback] Alternate Ending? {Spoilers}

I played through Shay's story first and then Vella's. The ending was great playing in that order. I then played through it again playing Vella then Shay to see if there would be a different ending from Shay's perspective. There was not, and that made me wonder if the reveal was better playing Vella second. If you are someone who played through Shay second was it a giveaway to the big reveal by cutting from the end of Shay's story to Vella waking up on the beach?

My suggestion is to either 1) create a new cutscene from Shay's perspective- it could be of Shay waking up and walking towards a bright light where a shadowed figure slowly comes into focus or 2) ending Vella's story right before the battle with Mog and then returning back to Vella after completing Shay's story which would force you into finishing Shay before finishing Vella.

What do you think backers?

(I know the thread title says it, but I'll reiterate: SPOILERS!)

No, it was not a give-away. I was too busy wondering why Shay wasn't dead, what with having no oxygen in space. Really, there's not a whole lot of time to piece it together before they see one another, which is the really big "aha!" moment. I think no matter whose story you finish last, it's still an ending with a big impact.

I played Vella first, then Shay and I thought it was fantastic. I had no idea how the two stories related and at the reveal I was like 'aha! how did I not see that?!' (after wondering why Shay's face didn't explode out of his helmet). Although the coming into focus would be cool, i.e. when Vella gets up, fade in with blur, then slowly reduce blur as she stands up as if she's coming to from unconsciousness...

Have just finished the game as well and also played Shay's story first then Vella's. Thoroughly enjoyed both and didn't connect the stories together until the "aha" moment :)

More SPOILERS ahead.

I like the idea of having a break but it could be moved earlier in Vella's arc: the exit from Meriloft could leave her unconscious if you haven't completed Shay. You then have to play Shay through and transition back to Vella waking up. It links the characters again in the middle of a chapter and the rest of Vella's arc now completes Act 1 for the reveal.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've just seen some of the other bugs about Vella's ending going back to Sugar Bunting (have yet to play through that way first) and can see that the pause is there already.

I played all Vella and then all Shay, and loved the ending. I definitely wouldn't do any of the two things you suggest :)

I played through Vella's part completely before starting on Shay, and I thought the ending worked brilliantly. I had some theories regarding how their stories were connected, but like bigstu80 above I reacted ‘aha! how did I not see that?!’ and it all made sense. (Well, there are still big questions, but that's for part two.)

Don't change it!

I played Vella's story first without changing even once to Shay, and I must say that the ending worked perfect on me. The surprise was so big even after all those clues and traces during Shay's playthrough. I don't think it needs any tweak, the "aha!" moment works like a charm.

Sign in to follow this