Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigstu80

(BUGS/SPOILERS) Final tally after finishing the game

Impressions first: Great! I was never much of an adventure game fan (thoroughly enjoyed the Myst series though) but this was fun to play through. Cheeky chuckles at Curtis' dialogue, great voice acting, solid UI, no pixel hunting for puzzles, and not too difficult if you investigate each screen (and dialogue trees) before moving to the next. Loved the ending, somehow I didn't see that coming.

Playability: being a beta I think there's still some polish to be done and I've noticed the little touch ups as the updates come through (thanks!). With Vella's story the characters snap between their animations with no transitions and it looks quite jarring (especially when talking to Gus - I've mentioned this in another thread). Otherwise the animations look great (love the beard movement on Harm'ny).

Some other minor issues I picked up while playing:

* Knocking Gus off the branch - to me the perspective is all wrong. I fell through the right-most hole and flew past the egg, which is fine. Then I went down and talked to Gus. I tried using all my inventory items and talking with everyone else to try to figure out how to get him off before falling through the other hole (on advice given by a friend). But I never would have tried this as the perspective between those two holes doesn't feel right. It feels like I should be falling to the left and behind Gus, not into him.

* After lowering the ladder into Curtis' house, I grabbed the window piece then went straight back up the ladder. Except it showed the outside of the house with nothing happening, then all of a sudden I was back in the clouds. I'm assuming Vella was meant to climb up the ladder? Also, I feel like there should be a screen at the bottom of the ladder rather than just a door from the mezzanine in the house.

* Talk with the Space Weaver for the first time, give him the chart which then transports you to the first location then immediately talk to him again and you get the same "let's go somewhere exciting for a change!" which felt odd since you did just go somewhere exciting.

* Before talking to Marek about Prima Doom after waking up the 2nd time, I went to the captains chair and the dialogue tree mentioned "we must go to Prima Doom immediately!" but I don't think I'd heard about it before then...

* After going through 2 teleporters and emerging next to the trash chute, Shay's voice is helium'ed, but if you interact with the trash chute his second line isn't helium'ed.

* When wandering around the mission rooms during the time when you need to get the boom arms on manual (and inhibit the fusion orb) you can re-run the ice-cream avalanche mission. Drag the airtank onto the crochet friends and their subtitles are missing).

And my opinion stuff below :)

* End of Vella - this felt abrupt. I mean there was a fade out but it was like "uh, I guess that was the end of Vella's story". Maybe it would be better if she didn't just flop onto the ground but somehow show an impact and cut to black as if she's instantly been knocked unconcious. That would feel more final.

* End of Shay - same as Vella. Fall to the ground, shatter the helmet, surprised intake of breath with eyes squeezed shut in pain and BLACK.

* End of Act 1 - the text feels a little tacked on, as well as the "Act 2 Coming Soon!" text. I'd start to roll the credits while the two characters are still on screen as it's a nice shot to finish on. Then the first line of the credits (in the same font size) could say End of Act 1. Then either don't show "Act 2 Coming Soon!" (we know it's two parts - as will the general public when they buy it on steam as it has it plastered all over it) or leave it until the credits are done (or skipped) and then show it in the middle like "Bond will return".

That's all from me! Good job and good luck!

* Talk with the Space Weaver for the first time, give him the chart which then transports you to the first location then immediately talk to him again and you get the same "let's go somewhere exciting for a change!" which felt odd since you did just go somewhere exciting.

I agree on that one, I had the same experience. Would be nice if that option was at least hidden until leaving the room and comming back, or perhaps it shoulden't return at all. Nothing important though.

Sign in to follow this