Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
puffpio

Feedback on the end of Act 1

So I went through the game twice.

Completing the boy's story first, then the girl's

And the opposite way (girl first, then boy)

I feel it was better storytelling to do the girl's first, because of the way the girl's arc ends, and how the end of Act 1 begins (it makes you be reminded of her after playing the boy)

Whereas if you play the boy's first, then finish the girl's..the beginning of the end of Act 1 just immediately picks up and you lose the impact of switching back to a character you haven't played in a while.

I guess..my feedback would be to not make it a choice the order you play the characters for the purposes of storytelling. Many stories alternate between characters and then weave it all together, but if you can choose the order then you lose the effects of the weaving.

-----------

the other feedback is that I never switched back and forth between characters because I never had a reason to (eg I didn't need items from the other world to progress). Maybe if there was some reason to (might be too forced to drop items back and forth between worlds..but maybe learning information in one world allows you to solve a puzzle in another?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "the beginning of the end of Act 1". I played through once switching back and forth a few times, beating Shay's storyline first. I loved how unexpected Vella's ending was.

I assumed wrongly that the two stories were being told in parallel within the same time frame, and the two characters would meet near the end of the game in Act 2. Now I'm wondering if maybe one story is set in the past while the other is in the future... I dunno, and I love not knowing! I think someone else here said it reminded them of Lost, and I agree - in a good way of course (except the conclusion to that show was yucky IMO, lol)

I'm really glad I played through now and have to wait before getting into Act 2, had I waited to play through Act 1 until Act 2 was released (which I was seriously considering) then my answers would probably be answered much quicker. Now I get to sit with the story and speculate for a while, and replay Act 1 to soak it all in a bit more. Maybe there are little hints I didn't pick up on. Hmm....

"beginning of the end of act 1"..yeah i'm being vague because I didn't want to spoil it for others

but i played it two ways:

- play all of shay's arc

- play all of vela's arc

- the last part then starts immediately after vela's arc, and it starts with a shot of vela (in other words, it feels just like a continuation of vela's arc

OR

- play all of vela's arc

- play all of shay's arc

- the last part then starts by cutting back to vela..so it reminds you of a character you haven't seen a while. i feel that way makes the reveal more impactful

"beginning of the end of act 1"..yeah i'm being vague because I didn't want to spoil it for others

but i played it two ways:

- play all of shay's arc

- play all of vela's arc

- the last part then starts immediately after vela's arc, and it starts with a shot of vela (in other words, it feels just like a continuation of vela's arc

OR

- play all of vela's arc

- play all of shay's arc

- the last part then starts by cutting back to vela..so it reminds you of a character you haven't seen a while. i feel that way makes the reveal more impactful

I didn't feel it that way. In a way I would argue that the reveal is even more impactful if you're merrily in Vella's story and suddenly Shay walks in. Also "long time no see" is not an issue if you really make use of the ability to go back and forth between characters. Either way, I don't even think that it would be necessary to veto your suggestion to remove the switching back and forth feature because it's an integral part of the game.

Sign in to follow this