• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
joshxdr

Broken Age chapter 1 Beta vs Final Version

If the version of Broken Age chapter 1 we have right now is "beta", when will the "final" version be released? Will it have some of the current bugs fixed? Which will be fixed?

I have read that the continuation of 2PP documentary will have spoilers from chapter 1. So if you want to continue to follow the documentary, you will need to play the "beta".

I have been bitten by the "Shay bed bug", which meant I lost 2 hours of progress and had to start over from the beginning. At this point I would rather wait until these killer bugs are fixed, but when would that be?

The beta ends on the 28th when Act I releases on Steam to the general public. I guess DF will just have to ensure that as many bugs as possible are dealt with by then, if not patched afterwards (far more likely).

The beta ends on the 28th when Act I releases on Steam to the general public. I guess DF will just have to ensure that as many bugs as possible are dealt with by then, if not patched afterwards (far more likely).

So if I understand correctly, the software is now undergoing some bugfixes which are pushed periodically in patches through Steam. These patches will continue to occur until Jan 28 and likely well beyond that. So the Jan 28th date is more of a guideline than a firm date beyond which no more fixes will be made. Therefore, the software as of Jan 28th will be marginally more "final" than what we have today, and it will be even more "final" on Feb 28th or whenever the last patch happens.

The Jan 28th date is merely the date when the game is released to the public and not only exclusively to the backers as a "beta". Personally, I believe the labels are a formality as I think the game will continue to have patches pushed all the way until Act II is finished and both Acts are released as one game, and then possibly beyond that as well. My personal opinion. If DF thinks they can abolish all bugs by the 28th (or by whenever Act II is done and released) then more power to them.

They will want to fix Act I until the 28th, or at least as quickly thereafter as possible. The same programmer can only do one of two things: Either work on fixing bugs, or work on Act II. Time they spent doing the former pushes the release date for the latter further back. Personal feeling is they are moderately confident to get most of the bugs fixed until public release.

And just FYI, they already did three updates for the version that was initially released, and fixed quite a few things. Among them parts of the Shay/Vella restart-bug; as long as you don't use old saves and/or exit the game before the split-screen is completed, the idea is it should work.

Edit: I see you're already talking with DF about it, though. I'd expect that to be cleared up soon as it seems a high priority issue, just let them wake up over there first ;)

And just FYI, they already did three updates for the version that was initially released, and fixed quite a few things. Among them parts of the Shay/Vella restart-bug; as long as you don't use old saves and/or exit the game before the split-screen is completed, the idea is it should work.

I think they've only made two updates so far? But undoubtedly there's plenty more fixes to come before the 28th.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/12325/

Sign in to follow this