Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aili.Sinus

Ssssssnake! What's this about..?

Try as I might, I cannot fathom what's the snake for. I've completed the game already, of course, but now I'm pondering.

So you walk up to the tree, you get snaked, you blow the horn, you get unsnaked. There's nowhere to go past the snake, it's just there for... what, wrapping up the "east, or maybe west, can't remember" line? Or did I fail to notice something? Was that an Easter Egg of some sort, or what?

Like others have mentioned, it's likely that we'll see more of the area beyond it in Act II. Hopefully after solving a complex and satisfying three trials type puzzle to get rid of the snake.

I think I already have an idea how to get rid of the snake.

You're... not planning to sacrifice The Spoon to it, are you?

D:

Yeh i'm assuming its an act two thing also - I'm with doodinthemood on the solution - another tuba in some way shape or form :)

How does Vella muster the air to blow a tuba when she's about to pass out from suffocation??

Yeh i'm assuming its an act two thing also - I'm with doodinthemood on the solution - another tuba in some way shape or form :)

A shell horn in Shellmound

And people say the puzzles are too easy

GO WITH WHAT YOU KNOW.

Haha! Obviously not a serious reply on my part.

Maybe there is an elaborate way to make a shell horn. Use compressed air on conch.

Heh, I SAY elaborate.

GO WITH WHAT YOU KNOW.

Haha! Obviously not a serious reply on my part.

Maybe there is an elaborate way to make a shell horn. Use compressed air on conch.

Heh, I SAY elaborate.

ha i did actually think you were being sarcastic but in the sense of "yeh and i can just see the other tuba being a shell horn found 2 screens away" - anyway sarcasm aside, I really am looking forward to act 2 :)

POSSIBLE ACT 2 PUZZLE SPOILER:

I think you use the air thing you attach to the helmet. You probably get it back in your inventory (since you were wearing the suit at the end of act I). Plug it in, and then the tuba plays constantly, allowing you to pass easily.

/end

Lol, when I figured out the Riddle of Yorn, I was so sure that I had to get an apple from the snake, that I got stuck on it for 15 minutes :D

Try as I might, I cannot fathom what's the snake for. I've completed the game already, of course, but now I'm pondering.

To me, the whole part connecting meriloft to shellmound felt incongruous. Why the talking trees? Why the snake? Why the lonely lumberjack? They don't fit with the rest of the world. Instead, it feels more like the trees and the lumberjack were tacked on, thinking that seeing the hipster lumberjack return would please backers. And the snake was a cheap trick to prevent you from going in the other direction.

I'm really pleased with the game. But I'm having trouble making sense of this whole sub-section.

To me, the whole part connecting meriloft to shellmound felt incongruous. Why the talking trees? Why the snake? Why the lonely lumberjack? They don't fit with the rest of the world. Instead, it feels more like the trees and the lumberjack were tacked on, thinking that seeing the hipster lumberjack return would please backers. And the snake was a cheap trick to prevent you from going in the other direction.

I'm really pleased with the game. But I'm having trouble making sense of this whole sub-section.

I agree that it feels like they're disconnected, but I just figured: I was in a world made of clouds, and another world where people wear baguettes on their head, so maybe a hipster lumberjack can live near a talking tree near a beach.

Ok here is my *POSSIBLE ACT 2 SPOILER* :-)

I think you use one of the dresses from the non chosen maiden in the clouds to keep the snake from strangling you and pick the horn.

POSSIBLE ACT 2 PUZZLE SPOILER:

I think you use the air thing you attach to the helmet. You probably get it back in your inventory (since you were wearing the suit at the end of act I). Plug it in, and then the tuba plays constantly, allowing you to pass easily.

/end

I think I'm gonna go with the cream propulsion thingy Shay uses to fly around, more power ;-)

- Have an awkward conversation with family of sacrificed girl, secure a new supply of "beast hooker".

- Go to Merriloft

- Apply scent liberally

- Jump off cloud. Smell repulses bird.

- Yell "Whoo hoo!"

- Land with non-life-threatening injuries in area beyond snake.

Or in case the game gets an unexpected dose of common sense:

- Go around snake.

The snake is almost certainly going to be a puzzle in act 2. There's nothing past that snake right now, but I imagine there will be in act 2.

There's a few things in Shay's ship that look like they might be involved in act 2 puzzles as well (the truck on top of the ice cream pile that you couldn't get to, the locked door the Overmother is guarding, the chute thing that was next to a door).

Sign in to follow this