Sign in to follow this  
fargetv

Dialogue is too rapid

Not a bug, but feedback:

I find that some lines appear to quickly after the previous lines when characters are talking. The dialogue therefore sometimes get a cut-and-paste feel, and some of the humour is not given even half a second to sink in. An example of this would be when you talk to the taller of the two guys in the cloud colony nexus, and his lines succeed each other like machine gun fire. What he says is quite funny, but it sort of gets lost in the succeeding lines, and he seems almost agitated.

Otherwise loving the game so far!

I agree. I remember some lines leading to the next sentence instantly, where there was an obvious pause supposed to occur (evidenced by the entonation).

I felt the same. I wonder if it would be helpful if we compiled a list of these...

Yes! We might not get to all of them but a list of egregious cases would be helpful.

In Shay's room, when Shay wakes up after Merik gets locked out of the ship's controls: he looks at the sign and says:

"Ship under attack. Everything's fine! / Well, you're half right."

That pause after "fine" seems too short.

Sounds like Tim should be going through the game looking for timing problems -- bad timing kills humour, after all. Next update I'll see if I can add to this (so far tiny) list.

Also with Gus, the lack of timing made it quite hard to listen to.

When do you actually get to talk to Gus? I just saw him fall out of the tree and disappear forever. I looked all over and couldn't find him. I've beaten the act, BTW, so apparently talking to him isn't necessary.

When do you actually get to talk to Gus?

Before you fall down either hole in the clouds you walk over to the tree trunk. When you walk right up to it Vella slides down the trunk to the roots (hinted at by Harm'ny). Once on the roots you walk to your right and talk to Gus who won't let you past to get Jesse's egg until you unhook him. But a lot of players are finding that they're solving the puzzle before they even talk to him. Or the other extreme where you do talk to him but can't figure out how to get him off the tree because the perspective of the holes above are all wrong.

But I digress, my list of vocal timing problems are as follows:

- All dialogue with Ch't and his dad could start 1/4 to 1/2 second later. They're very mellow with the delivery of their lines, but when they start talking the moment after Vella asks a question it feels a bit rushed. Love their lines though :)

- When you drop a peach on Gus... the whole dialogue sequence and animation need some love. A lot of love.

Before you fall down either hole in the clouds you walk over to the tree trunk. When you walk right up to it Vella slides down the trunk to the roots (hinted at by Harm'ny). Once on the roots you walk to your right and talk to Gus who won't let you past to get Jesse's egg until you unhook him. But a lot of players are finding that they're solving the puzzle before they even talk to him.

OK, great reason to replay it when the final version comes out! I have no idea how I unhooked him! Thanks. I did this puzzle before talking to Harm'ny, so I don't think I got that hint about the tree roots either. As soon as I got to Meriloft I jumped thru every cloud hole in sight!

-Did you say something about shoes?

-Yeah, why? You need some?

And after that sentence, there's a small pause missing.

Sign in to follow this