• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Cryocore

Not happy, and Tim needs to explain why the game is in this state

For the amount of money and time, as well as the promises made the first half of the game is a disgrace and the fact I paid for a limited collectors edition just makes me extremely angry.

Tim "I designed too much game" Schafer, you lied. Unless of course Act II is more than 3 times the length of Act I. You make a game using the legacy of Monkey Island, and Grim Fandango, and produce a childish game with simplistic puzzles and limited interaction. The length is bad enough, but to treat everyone like a special needs child is insulting, and Tim you flat out lied. This is no homage to the Lucasarts legacy, this is the same childish drivel vomited out for ADHD 9 year olds, and you should be ashamed for whats been released.

I completed Act I in 2 hours, so we're looking at a 4 hour game! Well that is pathetic based on the time and money given to this project.

Utterly pathetic.

QQ moar plz

You seriously underestimate how much time and effort it takes to design your own engine (Yes they used the Moai framework but that isn't a whole engine) and then the hand drawn art. Hand drawn art is quite expensive and takes a lot of time.

Most people are finishing in the 4-5 hour range from what I have seen so you are really good I guess. Which is still short but I think, but it was still a blast with a great engrossing story and lovable characters, it could have been longer and harder (heh) but it was still a good game regardless and hopefully the 2nd half will be just as good. Totally worth the $30 I backed, I realize some people backed hundreds of dollars but that's your own conscious decision, you took a risk and invested, sometimes investments don't turn out as favorably as you would like but that's life bro.

QQ moar plz

You seriously underestimate how much time and effort it takes to design your own engine (Yes they used the Moai framework but that isn't a whole engine) and then the hand drawn art. Hand drawn art is quite expensive and takes a lot of time.

Most people are finishing in the 4-5 hour range from what I have seen so you are really good I guess. Which is still short but I think, but it was still a blast with a great engrossing story and lovable characters, it could have been longer and harder (heh) but it was still a good game regardless and hopefully the 2nd half will be just as good. Totally worth the $30 I backed, I realize some people backed hundreds of dollars but that's your own conscious decision, you took a risk and invested, sometimes investments don't turn out as favorably as you would like but that's life bro.

And yet Daedalic Entertainment can produce multiple titles of comparable quality, longer game length, and with high quality hand drawn art in one year. They too are a small company, of a similar size yet Double Fine cant even manage to complete their primary game in two years.

Sorry your argument doesn't hold water. Tim f**ked up, couldn't manage the budget, and lied about the game being made.

QQ moar plz

And yet Daedalic Entertainment can produce multiple titles of comparable quality, longer game length, and with high quality hand drawn art in one year. They too are a small company, of a similar size yet Double Fine cant even manage to complete their primary game in two years.

Sorry your argument doesn't hold water. Tim f**ked up, couldn't manage the budget, and lied about the game being made.

Their art is not on the same level at all, Deponia and Edna and Harvey compared to the art in this game is like comparing a used Yugo to a Ferrari.

I do really love the art in Whispered World though so I will give you that one.

I'm beginning to think these negative comments are really just trying to get me to play games from Daedalic. Deponia looks pretty cool.

Regardless of what Daedalic is doing, Broken Age looks and plays like a game that has had several million dollars and some hopes and dreams invested in it. If any of Daedalic's games are comparable, well, that's awesome.

QQ moar plz

Their art is not on the same level at all, Deponia and Edna and Harvey compared to the art in this game is like comparing a used Yugo to a Ferrari.

I do really love the art in Whispered World though so I will give you that one.

Memoria, Whispered World, The Night of the Rabbit, A New Beginning, and the 3 Deponia games all have beautiful handdrawn art in a different style, but no less time consuming to produce. Subjective opinion on the quality of the art is irrelevant, as that doesn't reduce the time to produce it.

Even as i often complain about the difficulty level. All in one they craftet a solid good game.

You see where the money went, in incredible good graphics.

And well, even as i don't think it is well, very correct of them, making those puzzles that horrible easy,

which seem to be a product of a playtesting, that kinda didn't have the right frame for a satisfying result.

A playtesting that now forces us to rush through this game kind of, instead of enjoying it fully.

Even as i don't think that was right, i have to say, the dialogs alone are worth the money. Including those awesome animation, yhea, get it. We now owe you that money we spend. I had fun! I laughtet. I enjoyed all the eye candy!

I am a bit sad that i was a bit early out of this world. Maybe a half week too early. ( i like games i simply pause and than later go on with … )

On the other side even the story was too good to not just play it through in one. Well. You can also see that as a good thing.

Yes. Some parts was way too speeded up for my taste. Especially as we, with that documentary that was awesome alone and worth all the money i backed … especially as we saw in that documantary, while producing that game they cutted it down. Indeed. Shame on them.

But the truth is, i am angry about it and angry about them, because the rest is just pure perfection and i do love it.

I don't even ever will understand why they couldn't keep us a bit longer in that Shay-morning-routine-loop. Those are decicions that are fully out of my understanding at all!

So yes. I would like at least an explanation for this - in my eyes - horrible mistake!

On the other side, i am now playing through that game a second time. And njaaa, it is quite fun still.

Okay, at the moment i am at that point the tree said the 4th time "blabla, vomit-something" and i am like -.-'

But beside that, with the 3 golden eggs i had fun.

Well, from another perspective, i do understand that thay couldn't make a Monkey Island 3 ish game with that money and all that struggle about it!

And even Monkey Island 3 had allready Scumm going well.

I am fine that it was less puzzles and places. Even they build two parallel story lines! So there was even 2 worlds, and that way, there wasn't even one world that could have felt as complex as for example monkey island, or grim fandango, where we follow simply just one protagonist.

Why they than didn't make harder puzzles, as this switching between shay and vella completley prevented frustration, especially in the beginning, as adventure-beginners could have enjoyed the other half till they got stucked there, too, i won't understand.

I mean, also, as breaks are good if you are stucked, that gameplay-part alone would have made playing this whole thing fluidly shure enough.

Yhea, but they had to make to much and way to questionable gametesting (10 people watching you solving puzzles, whua, noooo pressure. Just everyone around you was like totally got bored if you didn't find a solution … they just started to sleep behind you because you was so damn slow … what a relaxing scenario for playing a game! maybe even the guys, watching those playtesters play, speeded the game up, for that one reason they could have fast coffee breaks than! (kinda kidding, but if you really got bored 10 times watching someone play the first part, somewhen you might find it is a good idea speeding that whole game up before you gonne spend 5 hours again in the playtesting room) i really dislike that game-testing-method for this special genre! Really!)

So yes, they do have a engine. They kinda tamed it for adventures. And things can easily be changed with this engine. This is kinda sounding quite good again.

If the money and time inbetween this kickstarter is gonne be enough for changing some thing back to the more difficult or longer gameplay, i don't know. I have the theory this cutting down mistake could cost them profit even now!

But i am even sad for them. I mean, for us aswell. As, if they gonne get less money, cause they cutted the puzzles in part I too much down, we are even gonne get a more cutted part II because there even not gonne be enough money to make the puzzles harder at the first time (oh, horror, and they not even can cut it than again while playtesting because they are allready too short and don't even needed to get even more shorter.)

Maybe i just stop beeing so pessimistic about that whole "Those bad puzzles are not gonne sell well" thing.On the one side i wan't broken age to be a success. On the other side, i be honest, i don't want this easy puzzles to be well too successful aswell, as i totally … i don't know, feel also fooled about that thing, as much as you do.

But we backed something at our own risk. And in fact i more like getting angry about that decicion, making perfectly nice complicated puzzles easier for … i don't even know who!

I guess if they didn't even made it easier, all those who pretend they want that part II as easy, just never the less would have managed all the harder ways of the puzzles without all those, really, nearly intimidating obvious hints. That kinda prevented you from doing anything else there. Sometimes you need to challenge people to find out what they are really capable for.

But i like that game. I just do hope this kind of easy-ness never gonne make a new even worse easy-adventure trend, as what we allready got, or something!

I do even like that thought, now, that they got that engine, they could do another, more harder, really for the fans, adventure game. But than again: Why didn't they do it at the first time? (again, Tim might indeed say something about that)

Well, i didn't recognize it earlier. But they motivated many oldschool - adnventure - designer in doing some more kickstarter-adventure stuff. So well. The graphics are great. Let's see if maybe there gonne be at least one, well, maybe even two kinda hard puzzles in part II.

I do love the graphics. I am a bit sad for a missed chance to let it be even better as the cutted version now is. Or maybe even that missed chance even to go in the other direction and make it here and there a little bit trickier.

Especially after Shay met Merek down there in that ship and talked to him the first time, the difficulty, even story-wise should have increased a big time.

But it didn't. And that didn't even suited that story. A story i did liked from the very beginning very much.

So well. There are around 5 awesome features this game has. (music, dialog, graphics, level of fantasy and critical ironic hipsterness, the voices) Together with the 8 bit mode it are at least 6.

One is really bad. The game play. Weights a little hard as it is a game. In the end i thought that would be kinda a quite important point, of such a project. 6 of 7 things are awesome and absolut perfect. Well, it is still a good rate.

I'm pretty disappointed in Broken Age. It's the first game I've backed on Kickstarter that I got, that made me feel a little ripped off. I was expecting an oldschool adventure game, but what I got was this. Even the art, which looks ok when zoomed out, looks ridiculously terrible whenever there's a closeup of anything. Day Of The Tentacle looks better during its closeup scenes and that came out in 1993! I mean, I like the art *style*, but it really seems to be very low resolution, given how blurry and crappy it looks close up.

But that's not even my main complaint. The inventory is clearly designed for tablets - clicking and dragging constantly, which is not only non-traditional, but no modern adventure games do it either. The puzzles are ridiculously easy and the game is extremely short. There's barely any dialogue options at all. There's barely anything to look at or interact with as well.

The characters are good, and the story is good, and the setting is interesting and funny.

The game, to me, is good but not great. It is a good and enjoyable game but it isn't up to the standards of the best oldschool adventure games, nor is it up to the standards of the best modern ones. It's just good, and that's fine, but I was expecting an oldschool-style adventure game, did not get it, and was expecting something of a much higher standard given Tim Schafer's involvement.

Maybe it'll be better when part 2 comes out, but who knows.

I don't think there's a point replying to this thread as he's obviously still going through puberty.

I don't think there's a point replying to this thread as he's obviously still going through puberty.

Yes, it's not even REMOTELY possible that somebody could possibly be unhappy with what they got, no way, it's absolutely unrealistic and out of line for somebody to not think Broken Age is up there with the all-time great adventure games!

So much hyperbole. Why does it have to be either the worst adventure game ever or the greatest adventure game of all time?

Agree that the game could some some more complex puzzles. Still, we haven't seen the whole game yet. The first act could just be a warm up to the second. If so, then it would be considered well planned pacing for puzzle difficulty.

Otherwise, I had a blast playing the game. Wonderful graphics, animation, music, and sound. Dialog and voice track is superb. This is Adventure Gaming. Double Fine have done a fabulous job, and I'm very happy I paid for the special edition box.

Well everything is fine. Yes, just so damn fine that i am indeed playing that whole thing a second time now! And enjoyed, for example, very much that dialog with curtis. And the sheer beauty of Meriloft. The knife at Shay's.

But as the whole game kinda is a big joy, the gameplay, the things YOU DO while playing is just very unsatisfying. I am indeed also JUST do them, to go on with the dialogs, to go on with the animations and the story. NOT because i enjoy those puzzles really. And that kinda leaves you with a bad taste in my mouth also. Like in Shays world, that exitement while exploring that ship the first time felt nice at the beginning. But after i checked those teleporters and there kinda was nothing more left to find out, just a list with things to do (obertonic-whatever chamber, checked, alpha diaboli checked, graping gary to the arms, checked) It's kinda sad, and it looks like they did it on purpose - cause those horrible hint's can't be explained with "they went out of money for more puzzles".

I don't mind the number of puzzles. I mind the gameplay. A gameplay they builded on purpose while playtesting! So well. We will see how part II is gonne be. If part I indeed was just a (low) warm up, (and part II is like gonne heating up or something) i am gonne be indeed absolut happy. But it was a kinda shock for me simply played that whole first act through in one simple rush, without beeing stucked in more than 10 minutes. Maybe even not longer than 5. I didn't stopped the time.

I mean, i never did something like that, even with for example the telltale-classic-point and click-adventures. And they are from around 2007 ! so not so far in the past. So that i never needed any time for solving a puzzle, can't be explained by "I am too expirienced" as i also got stucked on a regular basis with the telltale games. And even those wasn't considered to be well too hard to solve at all!

In the end they are gonne need to stop all those hints in part II at all if they wanne to satisfy a whole bunch of people in this forum here. Or having in the end a "Hints" or "No Hints" mode. Just in part II even. I am getting modest.

But of course even the dialogs from the teleporters are pure adventure gold! (especially when they sounded like totally unmotivated and fresh from coffee with cigarette break

I loved that moment in the aber ober whatever tonic chamber so much - story-wise, optically.

As my very first adventure i have played was the Secret of Monkey Island, just that whole graphics and feeling and stuff in this game, even the caribian sound in Shell(bound? ^^ sorry, as i had the german subtitles on i didn't get those names at all, i'm very sorry for that ^^) was just awesome! A pure pleasure.

I loved the maidens in Shellbounty (haha sorry ) aswell very much.

Just the puzzles to do was like "Oh man, really?"

So if this changes in part II i won't even mind the puzzles in part one as characters and story was absolut awesome. But i am kinda a pessimistic person if someone allready messed design-wise something up. And those puzzles are design-wise, that was builded that way on purpose, just a mess. For those who this game formerly should be for: adventure game lovers. So where is that target group now?

We are all the time in this forum are getting dissed because we are not happy and everyone calls us bad nerdy persons. Great.

And the puzzles are even originally even just perfect adventure puzzles. But than they somehow decided going in the whole different direction (making them as easy as even possible) and they just went way to much in that direction, really! Like totally over the top in the wrong direction!

I do understand some peoples anger very much. But on the other side, again, it is kickstarter. So people should know whatever is gonne be the result of it all, not exactly is gonne please everyone who backed. But this puzzles are just a slap in the face of real adventure game fans, that indeed loved the puzzles, i thought my whole life was the point in adventures?

Tim "I designed too much game" Schafer, you lied.

He means he designed too much game for the money they raised through Kickstarter.

So much hyperbole. Why does it have to be either the worst adventure game ever or the greatest adventure game of all time?

I was being sarcastic. It doesn't. Which is pretty much what I said. But some people have taken it upon themselves to directly insult or make fun of people who aren't happy with the game, which is childish and stupid. This particular board is here so players can give Doublefine their feedback on the game, which everybody is doing.

Adventure games are at a crossroads, a stalemate, a fork where we must make a choice.

Down one path? Victory. The rebirth of adventure games themselves, bursting forth into a new era. This path only goes onward and upwards, and spells greatness for all.

Down the other? Failure. The death of adventure games. Every point and every click banished to the museum of gaming's dead history. Every story line, puzzle and joke will have been for nothing, sterile, void, and distant.

So why do we put so much weight on this game, and so much on Tim Schafer? Because this game is the car, and Schafer is at the wheel. All of our aspirations and joys are literally in his hands. Some of us have childhoods on the line, some of us have futures on the line, all of us have the culture of adventure games on the line. And at the end of the day...

that's the most important culture of all.

Just this minute completed it.... and all I can say is.... WOW!!!!!!

This game is awesome!

I cannot wait for ACT 2, and I can't wait to see it all played as one!

The puzzles were a little easy, but it didn't interrupt the flow. Not once did I say, "I'm getting bored with this!"

I love the art style, the characters, the art, this is Art. Anyone who says differently, well, they've got their own problems...

One thing Tim does need to explain is - Why isn't he writing more? More stories, because he is a Master.

I was being sarcastic. It doesn't. Which is pretty much what I said. But some people have taken it upon themselves to directly insult or make fun of people who aren't happy with the game, which is childish and stupid. This particular board is here so players can give Doublefine their feedback on the game, which everybody is doing.

There's feedback and there are angry rants petulantly demanding that Tim answer to them personally. Just look at OP's "feedback" -- they rushed through the game in half the time it took most of the people, then they complain it's too short and say it's childish drivel and utterly pathetic. What a great "feedback".

Oh yeah, and Daedelic has a crapload of unpaid interns slaving away for them. So there's that...

There's feedback and there are angry rants petulantly demanding that Tim answer to them personally. Just look at OP's "feedback" -- they rushed through the game in half the time it took most of the people, then they complain it's too short and say it's childish drivel and utterly pathetic. What a great "feedback".

He has legitimate criticisms and he's using the forum for the purpose it's intended.

On the other hand, while you're calling him petulant, I would say that if anybody's petulant, it's posts like this:

I don’t think there’s a point replying to this thread as he’s obviously still going through puberty.

He has legitimate criticisms and he's using the forum for the purpose it's intended.

On the other hand, while you're calling him petulant, I would say that if anybody's petulant, it's posts like this:

I don’t think there’s a point replying to this thread as he’s obviously still going through puberty.

Really posts like this aren't legitimate criticism people demanding explenation need to be completely ignored.

Really posts like this aren't legitimate criticism people demanding explenation need to be completely ignored.

This only makes sense if the only thing you read was the topic title and didn't read a word of his post. He makes many of the same criticisms I've seen in a bunch of threads on the boards, and in actual reviews like on rockpapershotgun.com. The fact that he said "Tim needs to explain" doesn't change that his criticisms are legitimate.

For the amount of money and time, as well as the promises made the first half of the game is a disgrace and the fact I paid for a limited collectors edition just makes me extremely angry.
Thank you for your donation. You've help put a smile on a lot of people's faces.
Tim "I designed too much game" Schafer, you lied. Unless of course Act II is more than 3 times the length of Act I.
As mentioned already, he was referring to the design scope as it related to time and budget. Not sure how that equates to him lying.
You make a game using the legacy of Monkey Island, and Grim Fandango, and produce a childish game with simplistic puzzles and limited interaction. The length is bad enough, but to treat everyone like a special needs child is insulting, and Tim you flat out lied. This is no homage to the Lucasarts legacy, this is the same childish drivel vomited out for ADHD 9 year olds, and you should be ashamed for whats been released.
Again, there is no evidence that Tim lied. You simply did not get what you expected. Nobody promised the game was going to be X amount of hours long. Still, this is an understandable and valid complaint, and many here have shared that grievance. The insults do not help, and kinda detract from what you are trying to say, IMO
I completed Act I in 2 hours, so we're looking at a 4 hour game! Well that is pathetic based on the time and money given to this project.

Utterly pathetic.

I think if you follow the documentary you will understand "why the game is in this state". They discuss at large the various "bottlenecks" and how that has shaped the scope of the game. They clearly point out the intention to show the process "warts and all" so that even if it "turns out to be a disaster" you will have a better understanding of how it got there. Hopefully you watched the pitch video and understood the risk before plunking down all that money.

Again, thanks for your contribution. :) Sorry to hear you are disappointed. :(

I do agree with much of the criticism.

I found it to be very short.

Puzzles were not only very easy, they were not very creative at all. Plus in the videos we have seen Tim speak so much about clever puzzles and the example taken from full throttle with the door, the lock, and the climbing. Puzzles here resolved themselves. And old school adventure game had challenging puzzles as a prime characteristic... the subject was dealt with in the forums during the whole process and I remember that the vast majority said they did not wanna have easy casual games like puzzles.

The dialogs, I thought they were ok, but I did not like the fact that one could exhaust all dialog options with a character in a quick rush, get something from them and then they became so unimportant that became part of the landscape. There isn't enough small talk there is no coming back again and again to the same character with new things to talk about with the exception of merrick (but also it is all bussiness). Some characters are just there for you to get an item from them and that's it (the two girls from cloud colony).

Except for the end of the chapter twist, everything is too straight forward.

I cannot let the subject be gone without underlining that Tim spoke about it said he wanted a bigger game, that he knew we would matter about length (people in the forums said so) and then we get this. So complaints about length were something they had coming.

Plus I think that the other games in the market (from daedalic, wadjedt eye, telltale, etc) hell even “the cave” are something that they should be in the capacity to being compared. And as many pointed out, there are games with nice hand-drawn backgrounds that are a lot longer and have a far more intricate story or characters interaction.

I cannot explain this… I think that looks count but adventure gamers (in general and specially old timers) DO NOT think it is a priority over the content.

I would have preferred no superstar voice acting, no bagel, and more story, more dialogs (even useless funny dialogs).

I did not think it was very funny, I did not think it was insightful about the themer (coming of age, old ways, new ways, etc)

They went to sell something to a specific target (lovers of old adventure games) who paid for it and they made a game for a different (probably bigger market): They do not have excuses for the level of complexity and stuff like that: they know the market, games from wadgeteye in low resolution got great reception for their content, including their puzzles. So I can only conclude this: If they did not give us what they promised is because they feared they would have little chance of selling it to a bigger audience, and then they did not make it for us as their main target, and I feel a little cheated by it… even if I do not judge their intentions which I will assume to be ‘good’ in general… I can say that they failed to realize or to keep in mind who they were making this game for.

You can criticise the game as much as you like, but you don't have to be a dick about it. There is a ton of far more reasonable criticism on the forums.

Warning! This will become a pretentious post.

I'm usually really cheap, you know, Charles Dickens' Scrooge cheap. I only buy games at Steam sales, i only buy 3rd-hand course books for university and to keep my food costs down i bought 40 cans of beans (these were the only things i ate for 40 days). When i found out about the Kickstarter, I backed 100 dollars. That might not be the highest pledge of all the users on the forum, but still. A small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind.

Then a few days ago, i got the act I beta. As most of the critics here, i felt it was a bit short. But nonetheless, I enjoyed it. Was the game (in the current state) worth it per se? Sadly, i must say no. But i still don't regret my pledge. My money gave people an opportunity to chase their dream. My money contributed to a paradigm shift in the gaming industry. My money gave pleasure to so many others through documentaries and experiences we probably wouldn't have had, that in the end, if you ask me if i would back it again with the current result? You bet. I'd back more. A small step for me, but a giant leap for everyone.

Thanks to DF, and thanks to the rest of the community. Peace and Love.

I would have preferred no superstar voice acting, no bagel, and more story, more dialogs (even useless funny dialogs).
+1, although I love the voice acting and artwork, it seemed to be the thing that held back a much richer/complex story that many are wanting. The humour and coming-of-age themes are more subtle than expected, which I don't mind as much because on 2nd play-through I felt I appreciated that more (I felt rushed through the game at first because of the story)