Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EvilMushroom

Found the head-shrinking teleportation puzzle immersion breaking

I liked the idea of the head shrinking teleportation puzzle, but I found it immersion breaking. I ended up having to name all of the rooms, write down all of the connections on index cards, then diagram the entire ship's layout on a whiteboard. Once I did that, it was easy to figure out the puzzle, but I had to stop the game to do that. Features that would have fixed this issue are:

* Give me a way to tell the name of the room I am in

* Give me a map, that tells me what room I am in, and how it connects to all rooms I have explored (directly and indirectly)

To get an idea of what I ended up doing, check out the attached images.

In general I have been having a great time with Broken age. This particular puzzle is the only time I have noticed something annoying. My favorite line so far: "Wolf costumes aren't going to crochet themselves".

you only need to know that you need to use a teleporter once for the shrink and then not go back in the same one. ie walk back. theres only two of them.

and what are you talking about, when youre taking notes in order to solve something thats the best thing ever!! I love when I get incentive to do that.

I don't know if it was because I've been playing adventure games for so long (before the point and click days) but I found all the puzzles to be really easy... The only thing that got me stumped was ((((SPOILER - when you had to go back for the piece of the ship at the lumber-jacks house.))))))) I don't like it when puzzles are so hard you have to get hints - but this game was definitely on the easy side, in my opinion. Tim did say something about it getting harder next time - so I'm looking forward to that.

And I agree with frilansspion. In the old days, you had to keep a journal basically... If there was a phone number or something - you'd have to remember it... the game wasn't going to help you when the time came to use it.

Completed the helmet and teleportation puzzle before I found the room I needed it for. When I went into the second teleporter and the head shrunk for the second time I just had to get all 3 teleporters.

Completed the helmet and teleportation puzzle before I found the room I needed it for. When I went into the second teleporter and the head shrunk for the second time I just had to get all 3 teleporters.

So?

Diagrams? Are you kidding me...

All you need is not to go back in the same teleporter, but use the other ones. And just save the correct one for last.

That's it. Tim's games are not known for making you pull out your notebook or load an old save, just to get a piece of information that will never show up again.

Let's face it, we all get stuck sometimes. (For example, embarrassingly, I got stuck on the train ride, thinking it was something in my inventory that I needed to progress. Thankfully there was that hint after a while. :D )

But we need to acknowledge when it's our fault, and when it's poor design. In this case, there's nothing wrong with the puzzle itself.

* Give me a way to tell the name of the room I am in

* Give me a map, that tells me what room I am in, and how it connects to all rooms I have explored (directly and indirectly)

To get an idea of what I ended up doing, check out the attached images.

Teleporters tell you what room they're teleporting you to. :\

Also, if you go through all three of them, only one leads to a room from which you can only get back to the nexus by teleporting.

It wasn't that difficult...

Didn't say it was difficult.

Didn't say it was poor design.

Not saying it is anyone's fault.

Not saying anyone has to agree with me.

I was simply saying i personally found it immersion breaking.

That is my opinion.

This is a feedback forum.

The sarcastic responses are unwarranted. ("are you kidding me", no I am not, I am providing feedback)

I was simply saying i personally found it immersion breaking.

Well if that's all you're saying, then that's somewhat funny too because adventure games are supposed to have puzzles which require you to take a break and mull over them to solve them. A puzzle which requires you to scrabble things on some paper (among other things) to figure it out is a good thing for an adventure game! If you can't take that without having your immersion broken, then... I don't know...

i'm not sure i get why you needed this map especially for the teleporter puzzle...

sure you had to get back (or to another teleported) somehow, but you have to get to certain rooms several times to get something done so you need a "map" anyway, be it in mind or on paper?

Didn't say it was difficult.

The sarcastic responses are unwarranted.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

I was just taken aback that somebody would take the time to label every room on paper.

And other people agreeing and defending such design, as if such a requirement would actually be fun.

I mean, if a puzzle forced me to have to write something down like that, I would probably agree. Unless it's specifically a maze puzzle.

Anyway, didn't mean to be mean. Sorry.

I loved wandering the ship. By the time I decided to actually do the head shrinking puzzle, I was so familiar with the ship it was no problem. Maybe it's good that it gives you incentive to explore and learn the ship. There were some sequence breaks while wandering the ship that I believe they are addressing, but other than that, I hope it doesn't change.

Oh, and I would like to say kudos to you for making the map and index cards...those are great. It reminds me of when I was playing Fez and had pages of notes.

Yeah, I have to admit, this was actually one of my favourite puzzles - not in terms of figuring out, but in terms of carrying out the solution. I figured out what I had to do right away, and then I just found the act of navigating around until I'd passed through all the teleporters enjoyable.

It seems like if you thought you needed diagrams you might be reading something more complicated into the puzzle than what is there? It seemed pretty simple to just go through the left teleporter, walk around to get back to the teleporter room, do the same with the right one and then finally the middle one where you need to be.

I'd be more likely to find where I need to go just by wandering around before feeling the need to pull out the pencil and paper. It's hardly a maze - there are only so many locations on the ship and they're mostly labelled pretty clearly.

Still, each to their own!

Some of the responses in this thread are completely unwarranted. The guy has feedback and is giving it clearly and respectfully. It's almost like we want every thread to descend into "best game ever/worst game ever" nonsense.

This particular puzzle I solved by accident the very first time around (the computer says no return trips so I didn't, not even knowing why I was deliberately shrinking my head until I appeared in the radiation room with a tiny head and tiny helmet) so cannot even comment as to its difficulty, but it certainly doesn't seem that tough.

I found this puzzle to be quite simple and well explained. And the dialogue associated with it was entertaining.

I'd have to say my opinion is the complete opposite.

This was one of Shay's few real puzzles and the dialogue spelled it out so directly there really wasn't anything to work out. Less dialogue and perhaps slightly more visual emphasis on the head shrinking to ensure the player notices it's relevance could have been more interesting.

I grew to love graphical adventure games as a kid because the solution wasn't always incredibly obvious. To have a map with a big 'go here next' sign really undermines a lot of the value/fun in exploring the scenes the artists create IMO.

Allowing the player to carry more items than just those required to solve the next puzzle would be great also.

Sign in to follow this