• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Question To the Legend (Tim Schaffer himself)

All these days since the initial launch of Broken Age, to its backers, a week ago, there have been thousand of threads in this forum, and in other sites as well, full of criticism about the game. The general criticism is focused on the following areas:

1) The difficulty of the game, which is broadly regarded as being to easy

2) Its length, which is regarded as being too short; though my opinion, is that this is accounted also to (1). Since you never get stuck, your playing time, which for adventures includes time spent to solve a puzzle is greatly reduced, leaving the players with the feeling that he reached the end of act 1 too soon.

3) The game's controls, where two issues have been raised. The first one being the simplistic, one click approach that has been chosen. and the second one the use of "drag item on spot/item" action, which is something you have to get used to it, since it is an something, rarely used in the pc world. In a few words, gamers think that the interface adopted by this game, blinks an eye to tablet devices, and neglects the possibilities offered by pc controllers (i.e., a mouse, which gives the option of using two or even three buttons).

4) Finally, somehting, which is not actually part of the game, but received a lot of criticism and rage, is the decision of DF to not make the DRM version of the game available to anybody, even the backers who payed for this, until Act 2, is released sometime within the year.

More or less, this is all criticism about the game, that I am aware. I think that Tim Schaffer is the only one capable to elaborate on these issues and clarify, whether he plans to handle any of them and possibly how. Though the latter is not so important for now, the important is if he intends to do something to resolve them. So Tim now the ball is on your field. We would be grateful if you share your thoughts and intention with us

So Tim now the ball is on your field. We would be grateful if you share your thoughts and intention with us.

I totally agree, but it's "Schafer" with one "f". ;-)

1.) Ok, maybe a bit too easy but i much prefer an adventure being a bit too easy than ridiculous unlogical nonsense which can only be solved by trial and error. (most old school adventures were a bit like that, even some of the lucas arts classics)

2.) Lenght: i agree, i wish it was a bit longer.

3.) What is wrong with simple controls?! Controls in this game are pretty much perfect.

4.) I remember the thread about DRM and it was started by a bunch of anti Steam hippies or trolls, either way best to ignore it.

5.) Tim Schäfer doesnt owe you an explanation, he and Double Fine delivered an amazing first half of a game and took part in an awesome documentary about the developement of the game.

I remember the thread about DRM and it was started by a bunch of anti Steam hippies or trolls, either way best to ignore it.

"Anti Steam hippies"... an interesting comparison. I wonder what percentage of the Anti Steam hippies are Kickstarter hippies as well, seeing that their goals are so similar.

Peace, man.

4.) I remember the thread about DRM and it was started by a bunch of anti Steam hippies or trolls, either way best to ignore it.

Yea, exactly as you say, a bunch of THOUSANDS of backers. I wonder, if DF have some statistics on the number of people that activated their steam code. Not just get it, I mean those that really used it. I am sure that the final number will fell short to the total number of backers by a lot of thousands!

I remember the thread about DRM and it was started by a bunch of anti Steam hippies or trolls, either way best to ignore it.

"Anti Steam hippies"... an interesting comparison. I wonder what percentage of the Anti Steam hippies are Kickstarter hippies as well, seeing that their goals are so similar.

Peace, man.

More like "Anti Steam Hipsters" really...

Yea, exactly as you say, a bunch of THOUSANDS of backers. I wonder, if DF have some statistics on the number of people that activated their steam code. Not just get it, I mean those that really used it. I am sure that the final number will fell short to the total number of backers by a lot of thousands!

It'd be impossible to tell between how many didn't redeem

1) Because of Steam

2) Because they somehow missed the news (these people still exist on my Twitter feed!)

3) Because they don't care enough about playing it to get it right away (not every backer is gonna be super-invested)

4) Because they're waiting for both parts before playing.

But anyway, I agree that the people who don't want to use steam have a perfectly valid opinion, and it's not anyone's business to tell them what services they should or shouldn't use. And indeed, Greg Rice has posted to say they're looking into options for what to do post-beta.

hmm! No answer yet. I hope Tim is just thinking about it!

i really hope youre joking... Get a grip on reality, just because you make a thread where you compile ALL the negative things you could find on the forum (why would you do that?) you expect Tim Schäfer to personally respond to all that? Are you an only child? If you really are so eager to find out what Tim has to say to the launch of the game etc.. maybe wait for the next episode of the documentary, im sure theyll talk about a lot of that stuff.

hmm! No answer yet. I hope Tim is just thinking about it!

i really hope youre joking... Get a grip on reality, just because you make a thread where you compile ALL the negative things you could find on the forum (why would you do that?) you expect Tim Schäfer to personally respond to all that? Are you an only child? If you really are so eager to find out what Tim has to say to the launch of the game etc.. maybe wait for the next episode of the documentary, im sure theyll talk about a lot of that stuff.

Perhaps you are (joking), because I don't. Probably, you haven't understand something important about this project. This project was funded by us the backers. No Broken age would exist today, if we haven't put our money one this. When you pledge on kickstarter you do not just buy a game, in fact you invest on something. The only difference from a typical investment is that you do not expect to get your money and a lot more back. But you expect to get satisfaction on the product delivered. To have something that will entertain you. There may be no direct publisher on kickstarted projects, but in fact there are thousands of publishers, we the backers. We may not loose much money if the final product is not good, as the conventional publisher will, but this does not mean that we do not care for our investment. Because what we actually invest for was our nostalgia and the need to entertain ourselves the way we used to. We do care, and much more, exactly because our relation with the developer (Tim in this case) is not a cold paper, a financial contract, but rather a friend - to - friend relationship, which was initially built during our childhood, for 20+ years until today. We WANT this game to be awesome, because we like old school adventures, we like puzzles, we like gaming and we like Tim Schafer.

In this perspective, it is you who should get a grip on reality and ask yourself, what the hell you are doing in this thread. This is a private forum. It is the backers forum. It was made exactly, in order to communicate our thoughts on the game to Double Fine, express our complaints, or joy over the game during its development, and be informed on the game aspects, by DF personnel. There were times in this forum, where DF asked and we answered, and times when we asked and they answered.

I am not doing something different. I do not offend anybody. I am just expressing the backers concerns in a more formal way. You see I am one for the 90.000 Tim's closest friends, as you are also I suppose, and the only thing I did is to ask Tim, to appease my concerns about the game, like a friend to friend.

I think you're wasting your breath.

This is not a forum for honest discussions. You have to write 3 paragraphs of how you respect the developers efforts, enjoyed the game and love their smiles before writing anything remotely negative, or you're just a troll.

There are countless and repetitive "I LOVED THIS GAME" threads, but all those that dare to question DF are met with "why this again", "you're not adding anything" and all that. DF has bred a army of rabid fanboys here, and they let those fans "moderate" the forums, attacking everyone that has a dissonating voice (to what moderation turns a blind eye).

Just look at this thread, you come with honest questions to the developers, but you're left fighting fanboys that think you're unworthy of a single reply from THE LEGEND THAT IS TIM SCHAFER (even though he has enough time to reply to praises and positive feedback). Same thing my refund thread, it's been 6 days and 4 pages of fanboys that have nothing to do with the issue attacking me, while moderation and the staff ignores it and waits for me to give up.

People here call the RPG Codex a "nazi & trolling forum", but it's a open place where you can speak your mind on any matter, with any tone you desire. If a game is shit to you, call it shit, don't sugar coat you opinion just to avoid being called a troll. And we have a honest, open debate with various developers that understand how honest feedback is better than empty fan praise. Blackguards, Underrail, Age of Decadence, STASIS, Divinity:Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Legends of Eisenwald, Primordia... all those games are being openly discussed there with the developers themselves, in a way that this "open-channel to the company" doesn't get even close.

Brian Fargo is way more "legendary" than Tim Schafer, and we are not even on their official forums, but we have a extremely open dialog with inXile, with tons of feedback, suggestions and even UI designs coming straight up from our 800-pages long debate with their developers. Larian's producer is a regular that is always debating his game and sharing metal songs he likes. Although we are a RPG website, the lead designer of Primorida and the director of Quest for Infamy are regulars and agreed to make a wonderful round-table conversation about the entire adventure genre. Hell, we have a developer from Obsidian making a funny Let's Play of a RPG made by another Codex member, with people joking that he should LP Neverwinter Nights 2 instead, because it was a shitty game made by his company. And we all laugh about it.

And here you are, a old-time poster on the backer-only section of the official Double Fine forum, asking for a simple reply and being completely ignored, while fanboys say you're not even worth Tim Schafer's time.

Someone might even reply (something the fans will treat as a gift from the Gods), just to "show how open they are", but don't expect anything more than empty PR talk. People asked on the other thread why a puzzle was removed, and Tim Schafer just tells them it was cut because "adventure game are expensive", even though Broken Age has a budget higher than any other adventure game he made, and he only made a hollow 3 hour game with all that money.

Double Fine made a cute, but hollow game, that treats players as brain-dead kids, and is only getting the center of attentions based on hype and past accomplishments. And that's a great metaphor for Double Fine itself.

I think you're wasting your breath.

This is not a forum for honest discussions. You have to write 3 paragraphs of how you respect the developers efforts, enjoyed the game and love their smiles before writing anything remotely negative, or you're just a troll.

There are countless and repetitive "I LOVED THIS GAME" threads, but all those that dare to question DF are met with "why this again", "you're not adding anything" and all that. DF has bred a army of rabid fanboys here, and they let those fans "moderate" the forums, attacking everyone that has a dissonating voice (to what moderation turns a blind eye).

Just look at this thread, you come with honest questions to the developers, but you're left fighting fanboys that think you're unworthy of a single reply from THE LEGEND THAT IS TIM SCHAFER (even though he has enough time to reply to praises and positive feedback). Same thing my refund thread, it's been 6 days and 4 pages of fanboys that have nothing to do with the issue attacking me, while moderation and the staff ignores it and waits for me to give up.

People here call the RPG Codex a "nazi & trolling forum", but it's a open place where you can speak your mind on any matter, with any tone you desire. If a game is shit to you, call it shit, don't sugar coat you opinion just to avoid being called a troll. And we have a honest, open debate with various developers that understand how honest feedback is better than empty fan praise. Blackguards, Underrail, Age of Decadence, STASIS, Divinity:Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Legends of Eisenwald, Primordia... all those games are being openly discussed there with the developers themselves, in a way that this "open-channel to the company" doesn't get even close.

Brian Fargo is way more "legendary" than Tim Schafer, and we are not even on their official forums, but we have a extremely open dialog with inXile, with tons of feedback, suggestions and even UI designs coming straight up from our 800-pages long debate with their developers. Larian's producer is a regular that is always debating his game and sharing metal songs he likes. Although we are a RPG website, the lead designer of Primorida and the director of Quest for Infamy are regulars and agreed to make a wonderful round-table conversation about the entire adventure genre. Hell, we have a developer from Obsidian making a funny Let's Play of a RPG made by another Codex member, with people joking that he should LP Neverwinter Nights 2 instead, because it was a shitty game made by his company. And we all laugh about it.

And here you are, a old-time poster on the backer-only section of the official Double Fine forum, asking for a simple reply and being completely ignored, while fanboys say you're not even worth Tim Schafer's time.

Someone might even reply (something the fans will treat as a gift from the Gods), just to "show how open they are", but don't expect anything more than empty PR talk. People asked on the other thread why a puzzle was removed, and Tim Schafer just tells them it was cut because "adventure game are expensive", even though Broken Age has a budget higher than any other adventure game he made, and he only made a hollow 3 hour game with all that money.

Double Fine made a cute, but hollow game, that treats players as brain-dead kids, and is only getting the center of attentions based on hype and past accomplishments. And that's a great metaphor for Double Fine itself.

It isn't possible to construct a violin tiny enough without breaking several laws of Physics.

army of rabid fanboys... fighting fanboys that think you're unworthy of a single reply... 4 pages of fanboys... fanboys say you're not even worth Tim Schafer's time... brain-dead kids...

You're not helping your cause by insulting the community, I'm sure of it.

I don't have a cause, this forum is beyond any helping. And I have no restrains against insulting something that deserves it.

I don't have a cause, this forum is beyond any helping. And I have no restrains against insulting something that deserves it.

Goodness, then do us all a favour and go away.

It isn't possible to construct a violin tiny enough without breaking several laws of Physics.

Strange, I had the impression that you cannot construct anything that breaks even one law of physics!!!

Strange, I had the impression that you cannot construct anything that breaks even one law of physics!!!

...yes...

Haha, this is like when Trump tried to pressure Obama to give out his birth certificate. Tim can't respond to this, that'll make him look like a pushover that will just answer any enraged fanboy.Isn't gonna work.

Haha, this is like when Trump tried to pressure Obama to give out his birth certificate. Tim can't respond to this, that'll make him look like a pushover that will just answer any enraged fanboy.Isn't gonna work.

Who is enraged? Are you?

So giving some feedback during a beta phase means being a enraged fanboy?

Chill, folks. Remember actual people are behind this (both the game and the forum).

I imagine Tim must be really happy for shipping a game, happy for good reviews and apprehensive because a lot of people are also expressing their dissatisfaction with certain aspects of it. I also imagine that the last thing he will do is to answer this thread, because if he does, than everyone will create their own threads and start complaining he doesn't reply (because it is not humanly possible to reply to everything).

I BET he is aware of the comments and I believe he will talk about the launch and the concerns in the documentary or a bit later when there is less wood in the fire.

Right. I'm sure some of these questions will be answered in an upcoming documentary episode. Whatever Tim's feelings right now, I doubt wading into a thread full of people ranting and raging about him and his labor of love is high on his to-do list.

For what it's worth, go to giant bomb.com and check out the hour long interview they do with Tim. During the interview he specifically states that he's tweaking Act II to be much harder due to feedback from the backers.

I thought Greco raised some good points and I am interested in how Tim Schafer will tackle these issues in episode 2. I don't understand why his viewpoint has to be attacked and why some are suggesting Tim shouldn't even answer these questions. Why not? That's what the backer forums and fan feedback are for.

I thought Greco raised some good points and I am interested in how Tim Schafer will tackle these issues in episode 2. I don't understand why his viewpoint has to be attacked and why some are suggesting Tim shouldn't even answer these questions. Why not? That's what the backer forums and fan feedback are for.
It's the way he makes it and tim answered most of the question in a few of the interviews that are around. Which people also already posted in this thread.

We have a control update coming soon based on feedback from backers as well as our internal team.

As for DRM, we're figuring out our release plan regarding that stuff, and we'll let everyone know as soon as it's nailed down.

Re: difficulty, we'll keep it in mind for Act 2; but the reality is that no creative endeavor can possibly please everyone.

On length, well, it's not the whole game of course! This is another highly subjective matter that differs from person to person.

This is not a forum for honest discussions. You have to write 3 paragraphs of how you respect the developers efforts, enjoyed the game and love their smiles before writing anything remotely negative, or you’re just a troll.
Sadly but true.

Re: difficulty, we’ll keep it in mind for Act 2; but the reality is that no creative endeavor can possibly please everyone.
Sure thing.

BUT lure backers with "classic adventure", "huge puzzles" etc. and than delivering BA are TWO different things!

Don´t get me wrong, it is a nice game (so far) but it is in my eyes (so far) a huge failure talking about a classic adventure compared with the great ones from the great LA time both in lenght and puzzle depth.

On length, well, it’s not the whole game of course! This is another highly subjective matter that differs from person to person.
Of course it is only one of two acts. But "you" decided to deliver it in two acts and so far we can only give feedback on act 1.

And it has no challenging puzzles and is (too) easy to complete in one or two playing-session. And THAT is way to short from what I had expected.

Especially when talking about a million $ budget!!

THAT is the most expensive adventure game since a very long time!!!

So again, compared to that I´m disappointed.

Love the professional speakers and the music without a doubt but I would have loved to see that the money would have been used less for such things and would have been used more on story and puzzles.

Factors like difficulty really have no particular relationship to the budget. I'm not trying to be flippant; we'd love it if everyone were equally happy with all creative choices in the game, but spending more money on the puzzles wouldn't have made them harder. Tim's past adventure games have spanned a pretty broad spectrum of difficulty and length (my favorite Tim game is Full Throttle, for example).

Sign in to follow this