Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

in 20 years how do you think Broken Age will be viewed? *spoilers*

Remember in 20 years it will be the singularity, or very close to it.

And I think Tim is aware of that because the ending of Act 1 is pretty awesome to say the least! :D

How do you think this game will be viewed in the future? by people who were young kids now and in 2034 where you'll have computers in your blood that teach you new languages.

I think this is lined up to be appreciated in 20 years just fine! :D

And I think Tim is aware of that because the ending of Act 1 is pretty awesome to say the least! :D

How do you think this game will be viewed in the future? by people who were young kids now and in 2034 where you'll have computers in your blood that teach you new languages.

Ummm.... first off, I think it is almost impossible to determine how ANYTHING with be viewed in 10+ years, much less an unfinished work. That's like asking how Game of Thrones will be viewed in 20 years... when the book series isn't even over yet. Is this just another forum post for people to say OMG INSTANT CLASSIC + UGG THIS WILL BE THE MOMENT DOUBLE FINE KILLED KICKSTARTER AND ADVENTURE GAMES FOREVERRRRR?

Prophecy is a dead art ~Carl Sagan

all I'm saying is the way it goes into science fiction is very cool and creative and I don't think it will be seen as "wrong" or anything in 20 years, when we know more about these things. Thats it. no quote.

We can interpolate a bit...

Dreamfall I suppose was kind of in a similar position - in that fans wanted a direct sequel to Longest Journey, instead they got more modern and accessible story and character-focused adventure.

Broken Age clearly doesn't step into that many pitfalls, even now is more in line with expectations, and has much much more "timeless" graphics - because of polygons Dreamfall kind of looks dated by now, whereas Broken Age won't look dated most likely ever.

Soo... It will definitely be viewed better than Dreamfall is now :) (though it isn't 20 years old yet) Probably would be even more popular than Grim, simply because even now Grim needs a total overhaul to look and feel adequate.

In the long run we will start to have professors of computer game history. And they will canonize games with story's what is timeless and says something about how it is to be a human. Also preferable a story that is open to many different interpretation.

I think games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle is fun to play, but they have not the type of story that will be canonized.

Broken age might have the kind of story that will attract analysis in the future. It is also quite easy and short, two things what might make it more accessible for a future audience that maybe never have played a adventure game. Also we have the whole Kickstarter thing. Broken Age is an important early crowd sourced project, and that might also increase the chance that it will be remembered.

To be honest I don´t think that BA will be a big thing in 3+ years from now on.

I guess Act 2 will be overall the same like Act 1 at the end.

So it will be a nice, small and easy game in total.

The story will not be that huge at all.

It will suffer the same faith than most of the mobile games, you play it and you forget most about it after a while and after playing few more interactive storybooks like BA.

Don´t say that it´s bad.

Just saying that it does not play in the same league like Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and all the (real) classic adventure games.

Just my opinion.

It is also quite easy and short
That´s exactly the reason why I think it will be fall into oblivion fast.

Because you don´t remember the games that much that are too easy.

You don´t get stuck, you don´t have to interact with the people or items.

There is no famous red hering, no rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, no ticket for the "Number Nine" luxury express train..

I mean as many people pointed out, it'll be hard. But this is the sort of game I can easily imagine introducing my nephew to in about 8 or 9 years (he's 1 at the moment) and then if he's into it gradually exposing him to some of the other classics.

So I can imagine that people who are into adventure games in 10, 20 years time might think of it as part of that same buncha games. A 15 year gap isn't really that big a deal when it was all before your time anyway.

We'll be in space and all of our entertainment will be displayed with holograms; so it will be long forgotten along with anything else that requires a "screen."

We'll be in space and all of our entertainment will be displayed with holograms; so it will be long forgotten along with anything else that requires a "screen."
What do you mean I have to use my hands? What a babies toy.

So after the Singularity, the rule of sentient insect starts so I'm pretty sure they'll toss out all our notions of conventional gaming with phero-vision games. /joke

As for the global impact, I don't think Broken Age will be on same magnitude as Monkey Island or Day of the tentacle, but it will be remembered as one of the first successful Kickstarter games (maybe in Germany it will be revered as some kind of divine game like SC in Korea). Monkey Island was a pinnacle of popular genre, now the spot light is on the shooters, sadly.

Act I is such a cliffhanger it will make waiting for Act II hard :(

I think that it will be looked on a very good game, and a standout title in the genre.

People that are desperate to compare it to the classics of the genre already often forget a couple of pretty important factors:

*It's not even the complete game yet.

*You can't make the same splash when you're trying to do the same thing again.

*The classics have 20-30 years of peoples opinion about them settling in.

*Even if this game isn't flawless, neither are many of the classics in genre.

You remember the classics for the standout moments, not because they are the perfect packages, and Broken Age already (imho) have plenty of standout moments that it will be remembered for. It will do just fine.

The DFA already has a place in the video games history due to the way the project was funded. It was the Kickstarter success story (and still is, despite of the insane amount Chris Roberts is still making >$37 millions) and i think the docu also has its unique place, so, at least these ways (oh, and including the most tasteful t-shirt so far) it's already an instant classic. Sadly the game doesn't share this importance and if act 2 won't be a huge improvement over act 1, i don't see why people should remember this game.

Hmm, thinking of how this all started, i wonder what kind of game we would have ended up with if people only would have backed a little bit more than what Schafer initially was asking for. Maybe this even would have been the better game as Schafer probably wouldn't have simplified the interface, evolved the flow and such things. Maybe there would have been a challenge, maybe the game would have been smaller, way simpler assets related, no unique engine development and all that but beneath all this there at least might have been an adventure.

Which also raises the question, how much do you think a campaign would have gathered if Schafer was offering what he has been delivered so far? Something like "Uh, oh, sorry, i didn't see you there ... i want to make a story driven game without puzzles in order not to break the flow, maybe for the more simple minded but bigger audience out there (like TTG does). Forget about the verbs interface, it only accidentally ended up in the video. Imagine it as a place holder for a cross platform mobile optimized steering method but don't worry we're shooting for a short game with lots of animations anyway, so, it won't bother you too much. The assets is where the focus of the game will be, less an interesting game design with depth, only a tiny bit of exploration, i promise, and whilst the game will be short, the development will take its time. We'll also make the production transparent until things get though and there'll show up issues we don't want to share with you anymore." ...

I don't know but apart from adventure gamers i don't see a lot of people being naive enough throwing a lot of money at him. Of course all the people would have been involved who were raging against evil publishers those days, although i suspect these things cooled down quite a bit since then, plus the DF fans who love DF regardless of what kind of game they're making (but secretly hoping for Psychonauts 2 all the time). Oh well, the joy of alternative realities. Someone wrote "At least we got a new engine.", i guess that's a valid way to look at it too.

Imagine an easter egg like, this is the game we would have made instead. Would have been worth funding, right? But it won't happen as reality and time already altered the states of brains and so on.

At this point, I kind of wish he had only raised $400k or so. Maybe a smaller game would have had more puzzles, ironically. I'm glad for DF's success, but I wonder...

I understand your frustration with the game (even if I don't share it), but from what Tim's said about the $300k game, this would not have been the case.

Too soon™ - to make such assumptions before the game is even done, is... premature.

I think it will be seen as a breakthrough Kickstarter project bringing new life to the point and click genre

I think it will be seen as a breakthrough Kickstarter project bringing new life to the point and click genre
Mixed feelings about that.

Thanks to the DFA ks success we saw a lot adventure projects crowdfunded.

But is Broken Age itself sending out the right messages?

- Development takes ages longer than announced

- Adventure game like this cost $6Mio in total

- A casual (puzzle-wise) kidsbook is the modern form of an adventure

As said, mixed feelings.

What do you mean I have to use my hands? What a babies toy.

Haha, I see what you did there, Vectorferret. That reference has layers, man, layers. Hopefully I'm not the only one who caught it. +1 internets

Re: OP's question

I think Broken Age will be viewed pretty much the same as something like Machinarium. It's not changing the world or anything, but will be regarded by many (but not everyone) as one of the must-plays in the genre. Simple as that.

Nostalgia goggles improve everything. In twenty years no one's going to remember what their particular quibbles with the game were, they're just going to have vague, happy memories about the story.

Sign in to follow this