Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loveblade

[Feedback] Picking Nits, Knitting Picks, Nipping Kits

I love the game's art design and the animations are great.

And the story is only beginning to unravel. Excellent music and great ambiance all around.

The dialogue is funny, the voice acting is sweet. The Shellmound maidens' out of tune singing - oh my god!

Some amazing laughs were had with this first act. Solving the Riddle of Yorn also had me in stitches.

I could gush on like the nerd I am, but I shall try not to, for the sake of (relative) brevity.

The things I'm going to mention now are rather minor, but the major point of testing is improvement.

So, bring out the li'l chipper™ and let's chip away.

I realize that some animations had to be recycled, for lack of time and resources required to implement unique ones for every single line of dialogue. I've already gotten used to Vella's weird little I'm-patting-the-air gesture.

What I found a little more distracting on occasion, however, is a mismatch between an animation and the emotion it's meant to convey.

Two jarring things that I still remember:

1. Car'l's frowny face when I talk to her immediately after making her drop her knife. She would change into a smile the moment she talked about anything I ask her and then jump glitch-like back to the frown as I'd go back to the dialogue tree.

Even when you say goodbye and she goes "Ah! my work!" she smiles for a bit and then zaps back to frowning.

(If you give her the ceremonial knife before you talk to her, that becomes irrelevant of course.)

2. M'ggie winking at me as she said "The shoe thing is all she's got."

Works for "He only licks them.", doesn't work somehow for the mom line, I feel.

A couple times Vella became cross-eyed when I switched directions. This was apparent especially when double clicking to another area (new screen) behind her. This would actually be funny to leave in. Plus, it happens rarely and doesn't break anything about the game.

The transition between the forest and Shellmound seemed rather harsh and made things feel a little patchy.

The way the credits scroll at the end is a little hard on the eyes.

This post is falling apart. I don't like it. End it, man! Before it's too late!

P.S. Would something similar to the dialogue transcript in Grim Fandango be too demanding to implement?

I have a nitpick that I don't think deserves its own post, so I will put it here :)

If you go back to Meriloft from the lumberjack's house, you barely see Vella's legs disappearing up the ladder before they are gone, it pauses for a couple seconds, then goes to Meriloft. It seems like the cutscene is mis-timed, and we should see Vella climbing the whole time. In fact, the first time I saw this cutscene I thought it was a static picture because Vella's legs disappear so quickly.

There may be a slight disconnect there, but I think Car'l's character is also supposed to be rather manic. I mean, within a single conversation option she can go from bubbly to 'oh god everything's ruined'. She just kind of up and down as a character, emotionally. Though there may be some small animation bugs in there.

Adding to the nitpicking...

I've been replaying Vella's part and I felt like Grandpa voice didn't match with his animation. His voice is hard and strong, but his arms are shaky and weak. I think the animation should also reflect the strength of his voice.

Sign in to follow this