Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hplikelike

New Tim interview on Rock Paper Shotgun

Just a note, Ben was not voiced by Duke Nukem (Jon St John), but by Roy Conrad. The former is also still alive while the latter passed away some time ago.

I haven't yet played Grim so I can't comment on that.

Wait... what? Grim is arguably Tim's masterpiece, and you get to enjoy it right now! No waiting. Chocked full of puzzles, too.

Yeah, I really must get around to it sometime. I guess the controls put me off.

Tough but that is how democracy works. If any of the 90000 want their voice to be heard as a backer, each has the right and the opportunity to be involved. Right here, on the backer-only forums. And the people here have spoken. Just look at the poll threads: 80% think its too easy, not hard enough. 1/3 are disappointed or feel something is missing.

So let's look at those numbers:

The vast majority (82%) of people feel the game was too easy for them.

Yet another majority (67%) are happy with the game's controls.

But most importantly: Another majority (67%) are happy with the overall finished product.

(I think I fall into the majority of all these -- I felt it was too easy, but I'm also happy with the final product.)

BUT! These were only voluntary polls, from backers who visit the forums, and as we all know (and as any game company's forum, and Steam discussion group attests to), people are very likely to take to forums just to complain. So it *might* be reasonable to assume that these results are skewed negatively -- even if it's only slightly.

Either way, it's worth noting that the MAJORITY of people are HAPPY with Broken Age. So even if this was a democracy, which it isn't, the majority have gotten what they desired -- even if it was a little easier than they would have liked.

I think that just about covers it. I think I agree with all of your points, with particular reference to the one about the negative skew.

More evidence for the negative skew is that I've had a Twitter search for 'Broken Age' for the last 10 days. Here are the last 20 comments which offer any form of judgement about the game (and isn't a link to a review):

"Only complaint about Broken Age is that I thought it was too easy. I can't imagine how hard it is to scale something like that though."

"speaking of which, I played Broken Age!! It's very good, was so long ago I backed it but feels like just yesterday now."

"loving broken age!! My favourite is Vella what's yours ? "

"Finished Broken Age, which... feels like half a game because it is. Still, glad to finally have something I backed over two years ago."

"Just completed Act 1 of "Broken Age". Incredible."

"Man they really stick that Vella ending in Broken Age for Act 1. Everything from meeting Curtis on had me in stitches."

"Finished Broken Age. Amazing art and animation. Pretty good story, though it definitely cliffhangs. Greatly prefer Vella's side to Shay's."

"I've played a little bit of Broken Age, and so far it's pretty much everything I'd hoped. It's oozing with charm."

"Finished playing through Act 1 of "Broken Age" with Mizuki this evening, enjoyed it quite a bit and anxiously awaiting the 2nd half! :-)"

"Last night I played 90 minutes of Vella's story in Broken Age. Tonight I did the same with Shay's story. What a lovely game."

"try Broken Age trust me you will like it"

"Early contender for most beautiful game of 2014…Broken Age is super charming and funny!!"

"We as just finished @DoubleFine's Broken Age Pt1 - it was marvelous, and the look on Addy's face at the ending was worth every backing penny"

"Finished Broken Age Part 1. Pure honesty: I was *not* expecting that ending. Excited to see what Part 2 holds. Good game so far."

"Man that was a crazy end for Broken Age act 1! Can't wait for act 2 and see where this is going! Terrific job @DoubleFine"

"Beat Broken Age today. The ending blew my mind! Thank you @DoubleFine @TimOfLegend Can't wait for everyone else to play it next week."

"Wow. Act 1 of Broken Age really threw me for a loop. Really well done. Eager for Act 2 =D"

"Ah the jokes in Broken Age are GOLD! Especially @wilw's ones!"

"even just the examples of games developed openly--nuclear throne and broken age come to mind--those games are GREAT..."

"Just finished playing act 1 of the Broken Age. It was very good and I am happy to have kickstarted it."

It goes on like this. I have seen the occasional critical comment, mostly like the first one - liked it but thought it was too easy/short. But I think I've only seen maybe 5 in total that were particularly negative. Maybe even fewer.

Remember that probably most gamer reviews right now are going to be skewed positive because they're excited about the game being finally released. My own review was rather shining in positivity. Now that I've had more time to let the game simmer for a while I find it a bit wanting. Give it time and those opinions have the chance to change. But you're probably right and the fallout from that won't be much.

The game is doing well, and for good reason, but it's not what I call an adventure game. It's a story game, which according to Ron Gilbert's terminology back when he worked on Maniac Mansion, was what they were after the whole time anyway. Maybe they've been after that this whole time and have finally honed in on the best realization of what they were after (both Telltale and now Double Fine). That also must be why I've always preferred Sierra adventure games.

Remember that probably most gamer reviews right now are going to be skewed positive because they're excited about the game being finally released. My own review was rather shining in positivity. Now that I've had more time to let the game simmer for a while I find it a bit wanting. Give it time and those opinions have the chance to change. But you're probably right and the fallout from that won't be much.

The game is doing well, and for good reason, but it's not what I call an adventure game. It's a story game, which according to Ron Gilbert's terminology back when he worked on Maniac Mansion, was what they were after the whole time anyway. Maybe they've been after that this whole time and have finally honed in on the best realization of what they were after. That also must be why I've always preferred Sierra adventure games.

Of course they have the chance to change - but potentially in both directions. My initial opinion was warm, but not red hot. No matter how optimistic I was about the game, the gap between expectation and reality was always going to be a hurdle. But actually, after replaying once or twice and watching others play, I find myself liking it more and more. I keep noticing details I missed the first time, jokes I forgot about or just didn't hear first time, and the act of discussing it with my friends has only made me warm up to it. I can honestly say at this point it's set to become one of my favourite adventures. It'll have to do something amazing in the second half to dethrone Grim Fandango or match Monkey 2, but it's definitely poised to sit at the same table.

The game is doing well, and for good reason, but it's not what I call an adventure game. It's a story game, which according to Ron Gilbert's terminology back when he worked on Maniac Mansion, was what they were after the whole time anyway. Maybe they've been after that this whole time and have finally honed in on the best realization of what they were after (both Telltale and now Double Fine). That also must be why I've always preferred Sierra adventure games.

Are you playing Grim Fandango yet?

http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/running-grim-fandango-on-modern.html

Sign in to follow this