Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ian80

Where did you get stuck? [Spoilers]

I got through everything fairly smoothly. There was certainly a few parts that momentarily stumped me, but I felt the game had a pleasant difficulty level. It was like a pleasant stroll on a balmy day. (Where as Grim Fandango feels like a marathon in a thunderstorm).

That said, I did have to check an online walkthrough once, I admit. It was the taking the stained-glass pane from the cabin. My mind just wasn't making that connection. It's funny, in hindsight it seems pretty obvious (like, why would he even have a stained-glass window?). The designers definitely brought attention to it, the hints were all there, but I just couldn't get there.

Where did you get stuck?

Gus.

Up to that point I learned NOT to fall through the clouds or else I'd go through the annoying mini-cutscene of being brought back. I wish they had added a line for Gus saying something along the lines of "i feel DOWN" or something.

Sticking the ladder into Mog Chothra's mouth. I got frustrated and Googled the answer, but afterwards (as always when I do that) I wished I had stuck it out a little longer and figured it out on my own.

Gus drove me absolutely insane. It was hair pulling madness that actually required me to stop playing for awhile. The other really tricky part was the pit riddle. I hadn't figured out a way to get a peach when I was in Meriloft, and once I got to Shellmound I had forgotten all about them.

The one place I got truly stuck was the star map part getting to the Doom planet/area. I checked Steam forums for advice there and even that wasn't enough, but it helped. I finally figured it out though and, in hindsight, it wasn't really that bad. I was probably impatient.

I also totally forget to go back to the lumberjack to get the painting/art piece. I had already pilfered his stain glass window but I forgot to go back to talk to him for the art piece. So for a while, I was just roaming around the final area looking for what I missed. After enough roaming, I checked a walkthrough and then slapped my forehead. "User error 404", I guess :)

I almost got stuck with the teleporter/head size puzzle but stuck with it.

I also almost got stuck with getting the third gold egg (which was the one guarded by the bird who threw my ladder off), But I think I just combined the ladder and feather shoes and was fine at that point.

OH...I also kept falling for the "red herring" (at least for Part 1) of the snake. I assume that will be a puzzle for Part 2. Either that or I somehow missed defeating the snake in a way that still allowed me to finish the game. But I'm not that lucky :)

I spent the longest time of any puzzle figuring out that the bird would let me pass it before I found its egg. I was expecting the same thing as the (golden or brown?) bird with the golden egg at the far right and up section of the clouds. I probably spent 45 minutes or so figuring out that it would let me past. Funny what we can get stuck on, eh?

The riddle of Yorn is what stumped me, mostly because I totally missed the fact that you could collect fruit from the tree in Cloud Colony.

As for Gus, I fell through the clouds and solved the puzzle before even seeing him or talking to him. So his name was Gus, eh? How about that!

Three places. Took me a long time to get past Gus, solved that by accident when walking towards the tree. The art from the woodcutter caused me some issues as well because I didn't realize you could just take it, when I first tried I couldn't. And the place where I had to get help online was shooting out the legs of Mog Chotra, had tried it before though but was probably just unlucky so I didn't think you could hit them.

The only place I got stuck was on the beach at the end. For some reason it didn't occur to me to shoot the tentacles...

And guess what: Getting stuck was NOT fun! Lol.

I got stuck on the shoe ladder because I didn't think about combining items. Also I tried eating the peach and spitting out the pit at the guys for the puzzle, that obviously was wrong.

First and foremost: The Riddle of Yorn, then the 2nd Mog-Chothra-Battle. But I'm proud I made through myself without any help.

Quite a few places:

1. The Maidens Feast. As I told a friend, the music made it sound like you had to hurry up and do something before Mog Chothra ate everyone, so I was trying everything desperately and kept talking to the maidens over and over again AND I kept trying to target that dumb bird, which stopped things from advancing. I think eventually enough time lapsed between frantic conversations for the scene to play out.

2. Gus (though I wasn't stuck here as long as some other puzzles). I thought at first that I could eat a peach and shoot the pit at the egg behind him to get it to fall down.

3. The golden egg with the bird and the ladder. This was where I was stuck the longest. I thought at first that I could eat a peach and shoot the pit at the egg to get it to fall down. YES, the exact same thing as above. That stupid peach factored in a lot of my potential solutions.

4. The whole sequence getting the tree to throw up. I guess I ignored Curtis too soon.

5. The Mog Chothra battle. First I went for the eye, then when I realized what I was supposed to shoot, I must've destroyed at least 5 sets of tentacles before I just happened to start using items in my inventory. I swear there was a point where he opened his mouth without the ladder and I was trying to get him to do that again.

Quite a few places:

1. The Maidens Feast. As I told a friend, the music made it sound like you had to hurry up and do something before Mog Chothra ate everyone, so I was trying everything desperately and kept talking to the maidens over and over again AND I kept trying to target that dumb bird, which stopped things from advancing. I think eventually enough time lapsed between frantic conversations for the scene to play out.

2. Gus (though I wasn't stuck here as long as some other puzzles). I thought at first that I could eat a peach and shoot the pit at the egg behind him to get it to fall down.

3. The golden egg with the bird and the ladder. This was where I was stuck the longest. I thought at first that I could eat a peach and shoot the pit at the egg to get it to fall down. YES, the exact same thing as above. That stupid peach factored in a lot of my potential solutions.

4. The whole sequence getting the tree to throw up. I guess I ignored Curtis too soon.

5. The Mog Chothra battle. First I went for the eye, then when I realized what I was supposed to shoot, I must've destroyed at least 5 sets of tentacles before I just happened to start using items in my inventory. I swear there was a point where he opened his mouth without the ladder and I was trying to get him to do that again.

The peach did me in exactly like that. I understand why they did it but damn it was confusing.

Maiden's feast. The item exchanges were a bit confusing, I wasn't sure how to get the items away from the girls and in some cases WHY I needed them. Adventure games tend to dangle a puzzle-solving item in front of you long before you have seen the puzzle it solves, so I knew what would be important, even if I couldn't grasp the reason. But the entire puzzle as a whole was confusing.

Mog Chothra was also a stumper. I admit to looking on the forums to find out I had to shoot off the tentacles. After that I had it; I think the way shooting it in the eye made the mouth open was a bit of a red herring that kept throwing me off. I was wondering if it was an issue of timing.

Other than that, I didn't get deadlocked very often. It was quite easy. And I don't really care, because it was such a beautiful and well-written experience that I enjoyed every minute I played.

Didn't get stuck per-say but I missed the drift-wood on the beach so I spent a while backtracking looking for wood to give to Curtis.

On a related note I liked the dialogue options you got when presenting the ladder to the tree and Curtis.

1. The initial knife puzzle stumped me for longer than it should have

2. The Riddle of Yorn puzzle took me longer cause I wasn't expecting the peach to be the answer because The Lumberjack took the peach from me and I didn't think I would need it again.

3. The golden egg puzzle on the right screen (where you had to put feather shoes on the ladder) took me a while, even though the answer was right in front of me whenever I tried to do it myself.

I think that's it... I got stuck on Vella's side after getting through everything on Shay's side with relative ease.

I didn't find the jetpack on my first pass, so I spent a while figuring out how to launch myself out of the locked trash ejector.

I completed it in 3 hours (according to steam) and didn't get stuck :<

I definitely enjoyed the game, and if Act 2 is of equal length to the first half, I think I'd consider it reasonably good value for money for the story alone.

However, at the same time I think the puzzles were a little on the easy/obvious side. They were often get X (which in some cases were literally just given to you) -> use on Y = entire puzzle complete. Older adventure games I enjoyed too a more tree-like approach where you had to solve a lot of branches that may not seem obviously related at first, the hamster puzzle of day of the tentacle is a great example of this converging tree design.

I guess the question is whether we wanted to be told an interactive story or if we wanted to be challenged. Broken Age definitely delivers in story telling, Shay's chapter was especially funny and memorable for me. But when it comes to challenge, it was a bit too easy. Is that intentional? Was the first act intended to get people back in to the adventure genre? Will act 2 be more challenging? I definitely hope so, but again I can see it being somewhat enjoyable anyway!

Art - 10/10

Dialogue - 10/10

Sound/Voice - 10/10

Puzzles - 6/10

I only got stuck twice on my first playthrough: first, on how to beat Mog Chothra (like many people, I had no idea that I had to use the ladder) and second, on which preexisting NavScarf pattern I had to use for Prima Doom (which was partly my fault for not paying enough attention).

Other than that, I didn't get frustratingly stuck. I solved some puzzles by accident (knocking off Gus, the Riddle of Yorn) but those puzzles seemed more logical on my second time around. (There are at least two or three characters who say the fruit has a pit in it, for instance.)

I got stuck on the maidens feast after getting the water for the first time. I was clicking around everywhere trying to figure out what was next somehow missing that you could ask for the water again. Seriously if you're just going to ask for it back right away why bother giving it back in the first place?

Knitting the nav scarf also took me a bit longer than it should have. I thought I had it correct using the puppies galaxy, since he went on about puppies so much and it looked really similar. I only retried the same thing 3 or 4 time before switching to a different galaxy and getting it right.

I didn't get flat out stumped by any particular puzzle, but there were some that took me longer than others.

I started with Vella's world, and so finding the cake knife was my very first puzzle, and it took me longer than most. I know for a fact, though, that the two things that slowed me down on this puzzle were 1) I was not familiar with the game's signals yet, so I didn't know what the flashing triangle in the bottom left corner meant. (It meant that a cupcake had been added to my inventory, but I thought perhaps it was offering me a hint, so I avoided clicking on it.) And so that led to 2) I didn't know that a cupcake had been added to my inventory, so for a long time the cupcake did not enter into my solution brainstorming. Once I noticed the cupcake, it was smooth sailing.

It also took me a shamefully long time to figure out how to disrupt one of Shay's missions. I knew that it had to be the train mission and that it involved sabotaging the bridge somehow, but I kept trying to wait until the yarn pal's arms got tired, or I tried to use various items on the bridge man's tongue, or click his tongue. It just never occurred to me that making him go back to sleep was as humorously simple as making him wake up. It was such an easy solution that my brain was like, "No it can't be THAT easy", and rolled right past it 100 times.

Never got legitimately stumped, though.

*The Gus puzzle took a bit of time to figure out. I wasn't stuck, but I had to think about it for a bit.

*The key to the socket in the temple had me stuck, because I hadn't seen it when I was at that location before. Tried a lot of things with the objects in the temple before I found the answer.

*I really liked the teleportation puzzle. Not that tricky, but it took some attempts to get through them in the right order. A very elegant puzzle that.

*I was stuck a bit on the space weaver puzzle, because I forgot to actually look at the starmap I had my inventory. I first only tried to use it on different objects.

Gus, the Woodmaker's ornament, Mog Chotra, Teleportation puzzle.

Also funny thing I noticed - there be lots of counter culture in Vella's story. Like the mayor and Carpenter's apparent desire to not be fancy.

*I was stuck a bit on the space weaver puzzle, because I forgot to actually look at the starmap I had my inventory. I first only tried to use it on different objects.

Oh! Yes, the space weaver puzzle did confound me for a while, too. I understood that I had to put the stitches in manually while space weaver was doing his countdown, but what I kept trying to figure out was how to get a better view of the coordinates on the inventory item. I eventually figured out that you can see them by just looking closely at the item's icon, but I was really expecting some kind of close-up view. Providing a close-up for the "look at" function would have been helpful. (Some might say too helpful, but I would have preferred it.)

Assuming there isn't a way to get a close-up and I wasn't just too dense to notice how to do it.

I started with Vella's world, and so finding the cake knife was my very first puzzle, and it took me longer than most. I know for a fact, though, that the two things that slowed me down on this puzzle were 1) I was not familiar with the game's signals yet, so I didn't know what the flashing triangle in the bottom left corner meant. (It meant that a cupcake had been added to my inventory, but I thought perhaps it was offering me a hint, so I avoided clicking on it.) And so that led to 2) I didn't know that a cupcake had been added to my inventory, so for a long time the cupcake did not enter into my solution brainstorming. Once I noticed the cupcake, it was smooth sailing.

I forgot about the cake knife! Yes, that stumped me too, and also for the same reasons you cited -- I had trouble with the game's signals and how movement was like. I ended up finding the cupcakes only after I realized what the different cursor types meant and that I could click on that area.

Finished in 3 hours, without rushing through; I went for every line of dialogue I could find (avoiding any obvious 'this will advance the story/solve the puzzle' lines where possible and going for everything else first). Closest I got to being stuck was finding the controls when you're flying outside the ship in Shay's part of the story - even that was only for a minute or so though, I went around the whole area two or three times before finding the controls. I was playing in 1080p on a 32" screen, and the background art was so low res in that area that I assumed it couldn't be interacted with. I wish the art had been done with the closest level of zoom being the 100% size starting point to paint at, so that the close shots were 1:1 pixels and wide shots were zoomed out versions of the assets. As it is there's a lot of points where it looks like we're zooming to 200-300% of the original artwork size, and the pixellation really is a shame when the art style itself is so good.

Resolution issues and puzzle difficulty aside though, I still loved the actual experience and I'm looking forward to part two.

Assuming there isn't a way to get a close-up and I wasn't just too dense to notice how to do it.

There was a close up view of the star chart... you just click on it and a detailed view is shown.

Anyway, where I had to think:

* It took me a couple of attempts to get the start chart working. Once I noticed the stars out of the window, once you went to one of the default locations it made a bit more sense.

*Took be a while to knock the guy (Gus?) off the branch to get the egg. Eventually I fell through, but it was accidental.

*The riddle took me a while as I had already eaten the peach!

*I realised you needed to shoot into Mog Chothra's mouth, but took me a while (less time than those above) to figure out that I could use things from the inventory in that position.

*Took me a while to realise that the sap would sort out the civil engineering problems on the beach!

If only some of the other puzzles had taken this much thought!

I liked the reference of someone above to the Day of the Tentacle hamster puzzle. Some puzzles with a bit more depth would have been great! I already had the 'Art' from the lumberjack mantelpiece once it was needed, and felt like that one should have taken more to acquire. 'I can see what I need, but he wont let me have it'! (again, referencing DotT, I knew I needed to make Harold (the mummy) have good hair, a good smile, and a good laugh, but it took a bit of thinking to make that happen!

I got stuck twice, both times because I hadn't picked up an item the first time I went through an area.

First I got stuck when Shay "needs some kind of propulsion mechanism". Finally went through every room and found the whipped cream or whatever.

Second I got stuck solving the Riddle of Yorn. I did get Curtis's hint about "fruity riddles", but I just didn't remember the tree in the cloud colony had any fruits at all.

Sign in to follow this