Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Binderman

My 2 cents about length

First a bit of background: I started playing adventures in 1987 and I have been playing lots of adventures since then.

Second: My favorite adventures are Day of Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2, Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Dig, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Space Quest I and LOOM.

Third: Loom is a great game, one that I can play again and again. And it is the shortest old-school adventure and one with the easiest puzzles that I ever played. I think it can be played in less than 2 or 3 hours. Ok, the sequels were canceled but that fact do not make Loom less enjoyable.

Finally, I've played Broken Age 2 times and I want to play again, the game is beautiful, the animations are amazing and the story is really good from the beginning but gets even better after the end of the Act I. So much to think about after the end, several things that seemed random are making perfectly sense now.

So, I don't care if the Act II will be the same length as Act I, as long as the good experience of playing the game remains for a long time.

I think one of the differences is that Loom was born into a time when adventures generally were more demanding, so it was okay offering something easier, shorter and more story focused for a change. I won't go into details how the games differ content wise and Loom also was meant to be a trilogy if i remember things correctly. Anyway the DFA is born into a time after we've received all those low budgeted and dumbed down games for many years already. So, the last thing i/(you?) want as an adventure gamer normally is another one of them. And this excitement for a change also was part of the motivation for quite some people to put their money into this project. And so aspects like complexity, length, replay ability (f.e. like in Indy 4) matter.

Sign in to follow this