Sign in to follow this  
ThatNickGuy

709.5 MB Steam Update

I've just noticed a new update going through for Broken Age that's quite a whopper. A little over 700 MB.

Do we have information on what the update includes? I can't seem to find anything from a quick look on the forums.

I've just noticed a new update going through for Broken Age that's quite a whopper. A little over 700 MB.

Do we have information on what the update includes? I can't seem to find anything from a quick look on the forums.

Hiya TNG, long time no see :)

I am gonna have to start wasting time on Halforums again, I miss that place.

Can confirm that several backgrounds are higher res/quality. Flying around in space is the most noticeable. Also draw your attention to the fountain in Cloud Colony.

Wow. This update is something like half the size of the original game. Was there really that much art added/redone?

Wow. This update is something like half the size of the original game. Was there really that much art added/redone?

Patch size is never an indication how much has been changed or fixed.

Art and sound is usually huge in size compared to game code.

100 fixes in code might be only 1 MB large while 10 fixes in art and might be well over 100GB.

It really depends how they do the changes. They could just send the parts where changes have been done or send the whole package again.

Imagine you sent a letter to someone to do some proofreading. He could tell you that there was 1 spelling error in line 20 at word 3. Or he sends you the whole letter back again with the fix.

But art and sound are usually packed and then to send just the changes could be larger than just sending eveything again.

Patch size is never an indication how much has been changed or fixed.

Art and sound is usually huge in size compared to game code.

100 fixes in code might be only 1 MB large while 10 fixes in art and might be well over 100GB.

It really depends how they do the changes. They could just send the parts where changes have been done or send the whole package again.

Imagine you sent a letter to someone to do some proofreading. He could tell you that there was 1 spelling error in line 20 at word 3. Or he sends you the whole letter back again with the fix.

But art and sound are usually packed and then to send just the changes could be larger than just sending eveything again.

100GB? Not bloody likely! :P

Anybody knows how does the "Telemetry" option work? I can't see any real difference while playing.

Also, is now the Retro Mode control key visible by default or is the resolution trick still necessary?

It will start to work as soon as they feel that they've collected enough data and it has served its purpose.

Otherwise there is no reason why disabling/altering such a simple functionality takes several updates over ten days.

One of those reasons why cracks or tools which protect your privacy are popular.

It will start to work as soon as they feel that they've collected enough data and it has served its purpose.

Otherwise there is no reason why disabling/altering such a simple functionality takes several updates over ten days.

One of those reasons why cracks or tools which protect your privacy are popular.

The button already works and it has a fair chance it will be disabled standardly when the game gets out of beta.

LOL! That got a laugh out of me too. The original game was 1GB or so. Now it's 1.12GB, according to my folder properties.

LOL! That got a laugh out of me too. The original game was 1GB or so. Now it's 1.12GB, according to my folder properties.

Well, I was not taking about Broken Age. :) Maybe I should have written 100MB but wanted to make a point. Patch size is no indication about how much has been fixed.

@nulian

And it took them how long to get there?

How can a company or an individual person be so stupid to implement something like this the way they did without considering damaging the trust between the company and the backers? Especially these days, this is beyond my understanding.

@nulian

And it took them how long to get there?

How can a company or an individual person be so stupid to implement something like this the way they did without considering damaging the trust between the company and the backers? Especially these days, this is beyond my understanding.

Because the feedback is a priority for them. Not the getting a button in to disable it is good to have for live but a beta phase that's about feedback and bug collection it is really handy to have it on.

Anybody knows how does the "Telemetry" option work? I can't see any real difference while playing.

Also, is now the Retro Mode control key visible by default or is the resolution trick still necessary?

Telemetry means collection of gameplay statistics using Google Analyticis. Ideally you won't notice anything different unless you use a packet sniffer to see what opens network connections on your computer.

The option is there because some people are paranoid or really dislike google. (I am not implying there's anything wrong with being a paranoid)

@nulian

Yep, collecting data seemed to be the priority for them, without a need to inform you, without offering you the option not to participate if wanted but still being able to access the Beta (like offered in the tiers), without offering a hotfix instantly once they got negative feedback, no apologies, ... If this is what you expect from DF than you had a lower opinion of them than me. Every time you'll open up a DF product in the future, you can ask yourself if and what kind of data DF & friends might be collecting and interpreting from you.

With the right mindset they should have known where to draw the line and how such a functionality is added properly in a respectful way.

I have to say, I'm a bit negatively surprised. I'm fine with collecting user data for a beta - I'd almost expect it. But the fact that I wasn't informed of this before / while playing the game seems a bit sneaky. Especially since most people will have no problems with sharing their data.