Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

Massive Chalice: iPad Edition?

Hey dudes,

any chance of an iPad port of Massive Chalice if the game sells well? I know I'll probably get the "anything is possible" reply but I might as well ask... or at least plant the idea in your heads :)

All the best,

-Tim

Well, I guess the Buddha engine actually runs on both iOS and Android, since The Cave has ports to both iPad and OUYA. I don't know if the user interface ideas they've shown so far have limits that make them hard to use with a controller instead of a mouse, or with a touchscreen instead of properly mouse controlled. At this point in the development I guess they should be able to make adjustments that would make the conversion of the interface to touch or controller not require a kludgey rethink though, even if they during the development up until release probably don't have the funds to do any porting to devices with radically different architecture and different input devices.

If they do, I just hope they leave the workings for the alternative control schemes still in the client. I hate when I try using games with perfectly nice keyboard, mouse and/or controller support on the PC that don't have anything of the kind on my Android tablet, even though my tablet has a physical keyboard dock (essentially making it into a compact notebook computer) and USB connected mouse, but the game uses only on screen touch controls or even worse, rotation and acceleration sensors.

(My pet peeve: Android doesn't seem to support mouse devices at all - or else why did they drop support for multiple mouse buttons, mouse position move, hover - click - double click - drag - mouse wheel distinctions, when the linux system that Android at it's core is built upon surely supports that? And browsers and other text hasndling applications don't support the standard keyboard combinations for refresh, location field, search field, in-page search, keyboard navigation, zooming, switching tabs, closing tabs, opening tabs etc.)

I would love to do this! As liorean said we've ported the Buddha engine to iOS already. There's always custom work on a per-game basis so it's definitely not free, but if the PC/Mac/Linux builds sell pretty well then we'll look into porting it to other platforms!

Personally I would love to see it on iPad and then also handhelds like Vita. I think it's a really great fit for portable gaming since it's turn-based! :D!

Sign in to follow this