Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slambago

Riddle of Yorn accidental solution -- did you guys get stuck?

I have a question for folks who got stuck on the Riddle of Yorn: What did you think the riddle might be referring to before you solved it? Maidens? Fungus? Mog Chothra? I missed out on the fun of this puzzle because I solved it "accidentally", and I want to know what it was like to solve it "as intended".

As soon as I heard the first 3 lines of riddle (not to brag) my brain just immediately and spontaneously started yelling "peach peach peach go get a peach" making it really difficult to hear the rest of the riddle the way it was intended.

You always take us down

When we are in our prime.

Devour your sweet rewards

For this reason, I missed out on savoring the riddle the way I'm sure it was meant to be enjoyed. So, what were some interesting or funny wrong directions you guys were going in before you solved it?

I still had a peach in my inventory, so I pretty much solved the puzzle immediately, yeah. I think it was more the talk about the pit though that made me make the connection.

Yeah, if you do anything with the peach, use it on anyone or yourself, the dialog is always like "THIS FRUIT HAS A PIT" so yeah

Never noticed the peach first go through cloud colony so I got stuck on it after going through all the areas I though it was the peach but couldn't find a way to get it in the end I had to lookup where to click to make one drop.

Yeah I got stuck on this puzzle for a while because I completely missed the peaches on the tree. I kept thinking that it had something to do with the chum because of the rotten bed part. Due to the interaction with the fishing rods next to the chum I was thinking that I needed to give something to the girls in order to get a fishing hook off their costume so I could throw the line into the chum and then pull something up from that rotten bed of fish and that item would be the solution to the riddle. Once I couldn't figure that out I went around trying all my items on everyone to try and get a reaction when finally I ended up back at the tree. I accidentally clicked on it and Vella said something about wanting one of the peaches and it all come together from there but it was actually really difficult to figure out if you completely missed the peaches in the beginning.

I didn't get the peach from the cloud colony, so I spend a long time trying to get an apple from the snake :D

I got lucky on this one aswell. Digested the riddle for about 10 minutes or so while trying out other puzzles. Tried the stump, and then realized that it must be the peech. But the VERY FIRST THOUGHT that popped up in my head when solving the riddle was: "Oh my god I'm so happy I decided to bring the peech from cloud colony just in case."

So it's a pretty mean back tracking thing if you miss the peech.

I kept thinking that it had something to do with the chum because of the rotten bed part. Due to the interaction with the fishing rods next to the chum I was thinking that I needed to give something to the girls in order to get a fishing hook off their costume so I could throw the line into the chum and then pull something up from that rotten bed of fish and that item would be the solution to the riddle.

Very interesting! I actually wish I had missed the peaches before hearing the riddle so I could have gotten the chance to use my imagination, like you did. That's one of my favorite aspects of adventure game puzzles. Going one step further, the COOLEST thing ever is when the developer anticipates my imagination by writing responses for my incorrect-yet-logical solutions to puzzles. Makes the game really come alive.

I guessed the riddle before it was over. Really obvious to me. :P

Same here. Although it sounds like an exaggeration, I really did think of the peaches as soon as I heard the words, "You always take us down." I mean, what other preceding item in the game is "taken down" other than those peaches? But, maybe I was just hungry and had a hair-trigger for food-related solutions.

I only just realised that Curtis' ex girlfriend is Becky Yorn.

As for the riddle, I got the fruit thing after one or two clues, but it took me a while to figure out where to find fruit.

I remembered the peaches back at the cloud colony and that they looked interactive, but I had forgotten to go back and fiddle with them again and had managed to solve cloud colony without them, so I passed them over. I didn't think of them right away when I heard the riddle the first time, and the "rotten pit" part definitely made me go investigate the chum trough first, but then when I gave the riddle a second listen and paid more attention, I definitely thought of peaches and remembered the tree back at cloud colony.

I had to back track to go get the peaches, and at least one reviewer complained about having to do that, but I think that reviewer was being a crybaby. With all the shortcuts DF included to speed up travel between points, it's not like it was long and painstaking. And ever since I noticed I could use the ladder in Curtis's cabin to freely travel back to cloud colony if I wanted, I was pretty much looking for the first excuse. So the backtracking to cloud colony was welcome in my book.

IT WAS TOO EASY

Mainly because:

(1) The game kept emphasizing "PITS" with the peaches earlier on. Beating over head because it already triggered that when they said "pit"

(2) Everyone I talked to around town gave super obvious hints

(3) I already had a peach. There should have something in the lumber jacks house that enabled me to go back and get the peach, because that would avoid accidental clicking and make me say "oh wait... a fruit.... wasn't there a peach tree??"

The same puzzle would've been great if those 3 things (all the obvious hints) were addressed and if you had to go back to get a peach, not have it in your inventory already.

Actually, since I had completely missed the peach going through cloud colony - and of course had none of the peach related dialogue to give the solution away - I thought it might have something to do with the tree. I mean we have a lumberjack cutting trees, trees can regrow from stumps (or seeds), etc. Mostly it just took me forever to finally get around to backtracking and finding the peach. At which point it was obviously the solution, because nothing else was left.

It was one of the few puzzles that stumped me for a bit, primarily because I totally didn't even notice that the tree had peaches on it while in Meriloft. I suspect had I noticed the fruit earlier, it would have been easier.

I had to back track to go get the peaches, and at least one reviewer complained about having to do that, but I think that reviewer was being a crybaby. With all the shortcuts DF included to speed up travel between points, it's not like it was long and painstaking. And ever since I noticed I could use the ladder in Curtis's cabin to freely travel back to cloud colony if I wanted, I was pretty much looking for the first excuse. So the backtracking to cloud colony was welcome in my book.

Yeah, I enjoyed making the trip back. That seemed like the point of the puzzle to me, realizing that despite fleeing from Meriloft, you could still venture back there to get things you needed. The actual riddle clues were pretty obvious, although since I didn't get any peaches before hearing the riddle (and was thus not bombarded with references to pits by using the peach on things), it took me a little while to work out.

I feel silly since I never really DEEPLY thought about the riddle itself. I was wagering it was mog chotha somehow but didn't plan on solving it right away. I was just trying to give everyone what I had in my inventory to see what they would say in response to it. So I more or less solved it by going WHAT HAPPENS IF I GIVE THEM A PEACH?

Ironically when I let a friend play Broken Age for a bit, she immediately got the riddle, like barely needed time to think about it.

I sorta solved it the first time around, but I wanted to listen to it again just in case (I don't know why I didn't just try giving them the peach to see if that indeed was the solution, but oh well). Trying to navigate my way through the questions and dialogue choices to get them to repeat the riddle was actually the hardest part. =P

Most people already had the peach in their inventories. Even if you didn't get the riddle, you probably solved it by randomly clicking one of your three inventory objects on the cultists.

This should have been a massive through-the-hoops mission with multiple steps. That would have made the cultists' off-hand attitude all the more funny.

Also, the Dead Eye God pyramid ought to have been much bigger. Tons of build-up for a tiny little room with 3 interactable objects...?

Sign in to follow this