Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doccolinni

Poll: Which control method should be the default on desktops?

The opinions about the drag-drop control method (which was the only one available upon initial backer release) have been mixed, to say the least. Some felt it was unintuitive, saying their initial instinct was to click on an item and then click on where they want to use it. Some have said that it's a disgrace, showing how the game was explicitly designed for touchscreen interfaces. Some have... I don't know, requested refunds? Though that was probably caused by multiple factors, and even more likely just trolling.

Since the option to switch the control method to click instead of drag-drop has been introduced in RC8 update, opinions have somehow, yet again, been divided. What is considered unintuitive this time is the way in which items in the inventory are inspected. Some have even gone as far as reporting the decision to make the click control method the default one as a bug.

Be all that as it may, the majority of the people who have voted over here have stated that they were satisfied with the game's controls even before the click control method alternative has been added, so this may seem superfluous. Still, now that there are two control methods the decision which needs to be made is -- which one of the two should be the initial (default) one?

I think they both work equally as well and don't really have a major impact on the game-play. Had this game been on a different platform, like tablets or phones, with touch enabled then the different control schemes might have felt a lot more different and had a more dramatic effect, but with a mouse they felt almost identical to me.

For discussion/debate/argument/flamewar regarding this, please read this thread.

I urge you to make an informed decision, and read all the arguments for and against before making your choice, and try to make your decision as unbiased as possible. Or don't. I can't really force you to do anything. But I am asking nicely.

(Hint: there are more choices then the ones in the poll! You could, for example, choose to call me a blabbering idiot!)

Forgive me for the poor attempt at comedy, it's almost 2am and my sleep-deprived brain finds this kinda funny

Plus, you can't base a decision like this on a forum poll. It's silly.

I wasn't insinuating that Double Fine should base that decision on this poll alone, or at all. They may decide to take the poll into account, they may decide not to, so I really don't see how it hurts to have a poll on this. I mostly did it because I am simply curious to find out what other people's opinions on this are.

I wasn't insinuating that Double Fine should base that decision on this poll alone, or at all. They may decide to take the poll into account, they may decide not to, so I really don't see how it hurts to have a poll on this. I mostly did it because I am simply curious to find out what other people's opinions on this are.

Unfortunately, it seems in order to get an accurate poll, you'd need to add a "I haven't seen the new interface yet", option. Bit late now :-/

Unfortunately, it seems in order to get an accurate poll, you'd need to add a "I haven't seen the new interface yet", option.

Not at all. People who haven't seen the new control method can simply not vote in the poll, or run the game to check it out and then come back to vote. That doesn't affect the accuracy of the poll results at all.

Not at all. People who haven't seen the new control method can simply not vote in the poll, or run the game to check it out and then come back to vote. That doesn't affect the accuracy of the poll results at all.

Ha! People vote on polls just so they can see the results, and if there isn't an option that best reflects their situation, they'll go with whatever they can.

As a long time adventure gamer, I didn't find the drag and drop at all intuitive. I found that even after several days of playing the game, I still occasionally tried to click on an inventory item to pick it up instead of dragging it.

Personally, I don't really care which one is default. I'm just glad I don't have to drag and drop any more. I initially tried the game on a laptop with a trackpad and actually had to stop playing, that's how bad it was.

As a long time adventure gamer, I didn't find the drag and drop at all intuitive. I found that even after several days of playing the game, I still occasionally tried to click on an inventory item to pick it up instead of dragging it.

Same here. I kept occasionally accidentally clicking instead of dragging through my entire playthrough.

The first time I played it I tried clicking (since that's what I'm used to), that didn't work so I dragged instead. Got used to it pretty quickly.

Replayed it with clicking the other day, but was so used to dragging that point that I kept forgetting just to click.

Both seem to work equally well.

I feel like maybe clicking should be default for a couple of small design reasons:

1) I think it's the one that people used to the genre will try first

2) If you try dragging, in click mode, I think it still works, so seems like best of both worlds. At the very least, it's less confusing to teach clicking through the interface than convey that dragging is necessary (spent a few clicks not sure what to do because I just kept examining the object.

Clicking works much better on a touchpad, ironically... But yeah, I understand now the rationale for the original design (one click to view, drag and drop to use).

Clicking works much better on a touchpad, ironically...

I'd expect that actually. Dragging with a touchpad requires either two hands getting involved or some awkward finger gymnastics.

Sign in to follow this