Sign in to follow this  
Bgitlin

Thanks Double Fine - For Those Who Loved Broken Age

I was really surprised to see all the negative feedback that was out there about Broken Age, especially from people who were backers. It really bummed me out to see Tim getting a lot of heat from the decisions he made on this project. Therefore I wanted to create a thread that thanked Double Fine for this experience, the ability to get an inside look at their studio, the way they work, getting to know all the great people that work at the studio and for creating, what I thought, was a beautiful and overall great game.

I wanted this to also be a place to share some of our favorite moments of the game. Mine was by far just the art, the main menu screen alone blew me away and I still find myself just staring at it every time I start up the game. Next, I loved Harm'ny Lightbeard. Just a great character and Jack Black did an incredible job as his voice. Really different from what I typically think of as a Jack Black character, I kind of typecast him as the loud, screaming, heavy metal guy after having played so much Brutal Legend. The next best part for me was the dialog with the trees. When you throw your axe off screen and hear "AHH My roots" "Murderer!!" I died laughing.

The game was really an enjoyable experience and the documentary was incredible, so thanks again Double Fine and I hope you drown out the negative reviews and continue to make great games like this.

Good idea. I haven't had a chance to look through the forum threads really after the game came out but its a pity if people aren't satisfied with it :( Oh well, I think this is a good idea, since they are obviously free to voice their complaints, as we are to voice our praise :D

Favorite moments are many, but really, the cliffhanger ending is incredibly awesome. It took me a while to really 'click' the connection between the two very different stories and characters, but when I did I was floored! Haven't felt like that about a story in a long time. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the next act so we can see how this all concludes!

Favorite character would probably be Veela's little sister. She was so cute in her short appearance but really made an impact on me :)

I just wanted to add my voice to those that loved Broken Age as it is. It was just pure delight all the way through. From the lovely documentary episodes to the detailed forum updates to the gorgeous visuals to the wonderful voice acting to the fascinating worlds to the hilarious writing. I adored all of it. So much so that I've played it twice already, and I'm planning on playing it again to see what's changed after the final release is out.

The difficulty of the puzzles and the length of this half didn't bother me at all.

Thanks so much for inviting us on this adventure, Double Fine. It's been a great ride, and I can't wait to see more of the second half as it starts to come together.

Yeah, playing Broken Age was like taking a scenic route down a road filled with blooming trees. It is a wonderful little game :D I can't wait for Act 2. Now I need a tablet to play it with my sis :D

PS. Removed excessive comment.

I was really surprised to see all the negative feedback that was out there about Broken Age, especially from people who were backers. It really bummed me out to see Tim getting a lot of heat from the decisions he made on this project. Therefore I wanted to create a thread that thanked Double Fine for this experience, the ability to get an inside look at their studio, the way they work, getting to know all the great people that work at the studio and for creating, what I thought, was a beautiful and overall great game.

I wanted this to also be a place to share some of our favorite moments of the game. Mine was by far just the art, the main menu screen alone blew me away and I still find myself just staring at it every time I start up the game. Next, I loved Harm'ny Lightbeard. Just a great character and Jack Black did an incredible job as his voice. Really different from what I typically think of as a Jack Black character, I kind of typecast him as the loud, screaming, heavy metal guy after having played so much Brutal Legend. The next best part for me was the dialog with the trees. When you throw your axe off screen and hear "AHH My roots" "Murderer!!" I died laughing.

The game was really an enjoyable experience and the documentary was incredible, so thanks again Double Fine and I hope you drown out the negative reviews and continue to make great games like this.

There is an old saying in my country, which goes something like that. "Those who care about you, they pester you", which is so true.

Criticism from backers, is nothing more than a sample of the love they have for Tim, his game, and the adventure games genre in general. They care about them, and this is the source of all the negative feedback they produced. They did it because they want the game to be perfect. If they didn't care then you wouldn't have heard a bad word from them! But, fortunately, they do care!

I love the game. Thanks DF and all the backers! I wish you all the best!

I've played through Act 1 twice now and after I'm done re-watching the docs (which can now be appreciated to a greater depth!) I'll probably re-play it again. Also, it seems I missed some bits of dialog and jokes... there is more depth to it than I first realized.

Looking forward to Act 2!!! :)

Once I started playing, I finished Act 1 in one play session. The story was really enjoyable, although in all honesty I enjoyed Vella's story more than Shay's, because her interactions and environments felt more alive compared to the sterile spaceship. On the other side, the humor in Shay's story was quite good and made me laugh multiple times. The puzzles weren't overly difficult, and that's a good thing. It felt balanced.

Lastly, I finally understand Tim's reasoning for not wanting to split up the game in two parts, because Act 1 on its own seems quite short. However, I am sure that Act 2 will not disappoint given the quality of Act 1.

Good job Double Fine!

Great idea! Thanks Double Fine! Played Act 1 all the way through and loved every moment. Yes, it's not "exactly" like the old adventure games, but then again, 2014 is not "exactly" like those old adventure days either.

Just before i started on ACT 1 i finished the first part of the new Broken Sword game. And it of course ends at a high note forcing me to wait for next part. Luckily i could step over to another quality adventure game while waiting. I have really enjoyed Broken Age, sure there is a lot of simple puzzles but it doesn't ruin it for me. The game and documentary have been a pleasure, and there is no doubt that i will be funding the next kickstarter adventure from double fine! :)

After watching the latest documentary episode, I wanted to chime in here. I've been very vocal in the past two weeks about my misgivings of the game's puzzles and difficulty (or lack thereof), but while those factors make up the majority of my valued experience, I want to backpedal to when it was first released to us backers because, after all, I only spoke so vehemently because I cared about the game and what Double Fine accomplished. I wrote a very glowing review despite those misgivings and recommended people to play it and that opinion holds. Broken Age is a wonderful game. It may not have been exactly what I was hoping for (and there's still time for that to change, if not I'll just look elsewhere for my precious puzzle fetish), but I did enjoy it for what it WAS; a great piece of art and something everybody should experience. I've compared Double-Fine to Telltale, a developer I no longer follow because they abandoned what I loved about adventures altogether, but at the very least Tim's stories and Double Fine's approach to game making still make me want to keep coming back. Can't wait to see what happens in Act II, and I do hope that Double Fine makes a killing on this. They deserve it just for stepping out on a limb to start this Kickstarter and make this game. Very beautiful art, very funny humour, very effective programming, awesome cinematics/animation, great voice acting (and voice acting direction! Not one line felt out of context, something many video games are guilty of letting slip by), and of course the music and sound are sensational. Bravo! Please continue.

Sign in to follow this