• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Uniikki

[Feedback] New framing in the Vella opening

I tried to check the forums for threads on the opening, didn't find any. Sorry if this a duplicate thread.

I really loved the old Vella opening. Where you hear Rocky (not 100% sure on the name, the little sister) calling out to Vella, but you do not see her. I really loved that moment. Perhaps my favourite moment of the whole experience. You know time's up, and you should already be up. But you're stealing a tiny little moment further, pretending for short while still that it isn't so. That you don't have to get up. That all the things out there can wait. By making a silly little lie you inevitably remind yourself why you also will, in just a second or two, get up. And face the cupcakes.

Having Rocky be in the same starting frame the moment gets a bit lost. I hope it's still there, and I'm just biased, unable to experience the scene again for the first time. But it feels very different to me. I think I get why you did it. Better player direction, clear immediate focus. I'm just a bit sad that you felt that was needed. I wish you would and could change it back :-)

Further general thoughts: I quite liked the game. I loved the story thus far. It has a good Empire Strikes Back ending. It does very much feel like half a story, and I do kind of wish I could have waited until the release of the second part. Fear of spoilers and such.

I do understand the complaints people have with regards to difficulty, but I don't care that much myself. It keeps the story flowing and I think the general pacing benefits from it.

Sign in to follow this