Sign in to follow this  
Ryannumber1gamer

The Ratchet & Clank Thread!

I don't mind at all. I loooved Nefarious, whereas I feel kinda meh about Drek. Nefarious can steal all the scenes he wants.

We've got a new trailer for the movie.

I'm hyped for it, but the trailer annoyed me a little. Stuff like the use of a pop song (I usually don't mind it, I would have just preferred something that fits the Ratchet style a little more) and the fact that James Arnold Taylor, David Kayne, and the other main VAs don't get a mention on the trailer, while all the big name stars like John Goodman does. It's James and David's movie, they should be the ones getting top billing.

The music fit for me, but I had a huge problem with the editing of the trailer. Granted talking to friends unfamiliar with the franchise who have seen it, it seems to have the desired effect of getting them interested, but the jokes feel like they're edited weird. The cell phone bit cuts to the punchline too fast and kind of kills it. Still, the tone I'm getting from the trailer is dead on, and kind of know a guy who went to the advance screening Insomniac had a while back and he told me off the record that it was great.

SCREW IDOL MINDS AND THEIR ABSOLUTE MESS THEY CALL A FUNCTIONING PORT.

I hated what these assholes did to Ratchet Gladiator HD, it being a completely screwed up and rushed port of one of my favourite Ratchet games. I played through it's awful glitches, it's awful framerate issues, and overall laziness, and left it for a while.

Cut forward to today, I have all the platinums in Ratchet games, except Deadlocked HD and All 4 One, so I decided to start getting all Skill Points. I was about 10 skill points away from all of them, except what happens? Upon one of my loading of the save, the game believes I'm on another planet, and on another challenge than the one I'm currently doing. I end up dying, and the game freezes on me (I couldn't bring up the XMB or anything). I turn the PS3 off, and what does it do? It corrupts the save.

You know what's worse? Idol Minds were perfectly aware of the glitch. You know how I know? Generally if a save corrupts on PS3, the game won't load the save at all, and it won't have a title (It'll usually say something along the lines of "Corrupted Data 1"). But this? It had a name of a random challenge rather than the one I was playing on, and it had the title of "DIDNT WERK" (Yes, it was spelled like that), and when I loaded the data, it had the infamous Ratchet infinite load glitch. So obviously, they knew about the glitch, and decided not to bother fixing it because they're completely lazy assholes.

And that's pretty much why I avoided their port of Gladiator when I heard about the problems. I guess it's just a good thing my PS2 still works.

Nerd³ has played a bit of the movie tie-in game.

X8BffOK3Uv8

Kind of odd that the game came out before the movies, but whatever. Hopefully I'm not going to miss out on much since I didn't pre-order and for some reason they decided to have a pre-order bonus weapon.

I beat Ratchet and Clank PS4 yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyable experience and just makes me wish even more for a return of colorful cartoony 3D platformers (or in the case of R&C, platformer-ish) games that aren't Mario.

The preorder bonus weapon is really good, but I wouldn't see lacking it being much of a hinderance.

Movie tie-in games usually come out before the movie. It feels odd to me too.

And the movie is getting panned. -_-

As much as I love the series, I kind of figured it would. It never felt like the sort of thing that could properly make the transition over to film.

At least the game is really good.

So, did anyone agree with

R&C beating J&D in Death Battle?

Yeah. It's being panned for the things that make Ratchet & Clank what they are. That and it's an old video game story. It's going to be straight forward and predictable. I was fairly against this movie and reboot once I heard how they were being handled. The Ratchet & Clank story wasn't really fleshed out and...good until the PS3 games. Not a lot happened in the old games. They were fun to play, but there was no way it was going to work as a movie.

So, did anyone agree with

R&C beating J&D in Death Battle?

Yep. I always liked R&C more. Since the other franchise was sent to pasture and R&C got better, it became no contest.

Just got back from seeing the movie.

Deeply, DEEPLY flawed, and only really for fans of the series. I'll be doing one of my Boring Old Audio Reviews (hopefully) this evening to fully explain my biggest issues with it.

It's really not a 3 out of 10 though. More a 5.5/6.

Right, so I'll just stick to the game when I get the money and check out the film some other time when it's on Netflix or something.

Right, so I'll just stick to the game when I get the money and check out the film some other time when it's on Netflix or something.
Yeah, that's probably the best idea.

And here's my review!

8GXVVmUVa0Y

Or, if you can't be bothered to click the 'play video' button...

It's not that great - that's really all you need to know. Don't go out of your way to catch it - wait for it to come out on DVD, where it deserves to be, and go play the game because that's way better.

I know normally I do a summary like that at the END of the review, but I've just spent a whole month doing videos leading up to this. I wanted my disappointment to be upfront and center - this should have been great. And it isn't.

-sigh-

As I'm sure most of you know, the movie is a re-imagined version of the very first Ratchet & Clank game, featuring elements and characters from the later games in an effort to expand things, mixed together with the original plot. To whit: the evil Chairman Drek, with the help of a human Dr Nefarious, is destroying planets and grabbing chunks of them to build his own perfect world. However, one of his warbots is a defect, and it escapes to warn Captain Quark and the Galactic Rangers of the danger - though not before bumping into Ratchet, who happens to dream of being a Ranger, with the two teaming up to help out.

Unfortunately, this blending of old and new elements doesn't work anywhere near as well as it could have because of one simple flaw - almost nothing is explained properly. The story has so many elements to pack in that events happen at an almost constant pace with no time to fully explore them. Why is Chairman Drek building this new world? Barely explained. Why does Captain Quark do the spoilerific thing he does? Barely explained. Who are these Lagactic Rangers? Barely explained. How does Clank defeat the bad guy who's after him? BARELY EXPLAINED.

That last point is symptomatic of another of the film's issues - it basically expects you to be familiar with the franchise going in. I recognized the gun Clank uses, but that's because I'm a long-time fan of the series. How is the film's target audience of kids or those who know nothing of the games supposed to understand what's going on? The simple answer is that they won't, and will probably be very confused - and judging by the film's current MetaCritic score, a lot of reviewers were.

Which brings me to another of the film's issues - it has some VERY sloppy writing. The whole issue of not recognizing Clank's weapon could very easily have been solved by introducing it in an earlier scene where Ratchet is having a weapons training montage, which itself doesn't have any relevance to the plot except to explain what half the weapons used in the film's climactic fight were, and even the, then other half they use just plain aren't explained - and nor did they need to be. Hell, that fight didn't even need to be there at all, it's all just fury and noise for no real reason.

All of these elements combine to create a film that feels incredibly rushed, like they had a hard deadline of 90 minutes and needed to squeeze everything into that timespan, cutting every odd line or bit of breathing space they could without caring if the film didn't make sense to anyone in the process. I'm not saying the film needed to be longer - there's a part where Ratchet quits the Rangers only to be quickly talked back round that could have been completely cut and the time wasted on it put to better use, for example, and there's a couple of other sections where they could have done the same thing - but at the very least, the pacing DEFINITELY needed to slow down, and another 15 minutes to properly explain things wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world. I'm fairly certain the 4 or 5 other people in the cinema with me wouldn't have minded.

All of these issues means that you'll forget about the positive aspects of the film, and there ARE positives. The visuals, while not outstanding, are still fairly decent, the music's pretty good and the voicework, with big name actors voicing side-characters while those who normally voice characters from the games reprise their roles, is fantastic, though those big names often get very little to do. Poor Bella Thorne, she barely gets any lines at all in this film...

It's not like I went into this wanting to dislike it. Quite the contrary - these videos wouldn't be the work of someone who ISN'T a fan of the franchise - and while I did enjoy some aspects of it, overall this is a subpar film that really didn't earn the right to be on the big screen. It's flaws would been much easier to forgive if it was a Direct-to-DVD effort, but it's not, and as a result I can see why Sony is letting this one get buried by Captain America - it's just too much of a letdown.

I had no idea you did a Ratchet retrospective.

Looks like I have a set of reviews to watch.

Out of curiosity Darth, are you doing the PS4 title?

I had no idea you did a Ratchet retrospective.

Looks like I have a set of reviews to watch.

Out of curiosity Darth, are you doing the PS4 title?

Yeah, once I finish it. Haven't really had much of a chance to sit down and play it - been too busy with the videos.

Speaking of which, I finally put 'em all in a playlist.

Well I thought it was just gonna end being like other video game movies anyway. So I'm not all that surprised.

The thing about video game movies is that they're rarely bad for the same reasons. Admittedly I haven't seen a HUGE amount, but I don't think any of the others I've seen fail did so because they're too fast-paced and barely explain anything.

...well, maybe Tomb Raider, but even then, that was a different kind of barely explaining anything.

Have you followed the Tomb Raider lore? Not explaining anything is probably one of the better decisions. The first one I played was Underworld and boy, when you're thrown into the deep end of the story it looks like a giant mess going back.

True. But the two Angelina Jolie films were set during the original Tomb Raider timeline - I'm convinced they're less adaptations and more just in-canon Tomb Raider stories, which explains why Lara has no arc and basically no personality (in the first one at least, I still haven't seen the second).

Underworld was a sequel to both Legend and Anniversary, and I'm not sure if those were in canon with the Core Design games. But there's a reason they bundle those three together a lot - jumping into the third part of a trilogy and expecting all the plot points to make sense is a bad idea.

And yet, that's effectively what you're doing with the Ratchet & Clank movie (to neatly tie it all back together), since watching it feels like you missed another film that explains what everything is. Having the same writer from the games do the film was both a good and bad thing - good because it's faithful, bad because it lacks a proper entry point for newcomers. If they'd had another writer in there who wasn't familiar with the games and basically kept asking "what's that?" at everything, I suspect it would have helped.

Ha! The SECOND I uploaded my review with movie clips, it was hit with a Content ID match.

Because of course it was.

O8F_KubqvGE

True. But the two Angelina Jolie films were set during the original Tomb Raider timeline - I'm convinced they're less adaptations and more just in-canon Tomb Raider stories, which explains why Lara has no arc and basically no personality (in the first one at least, I still haven't seen the second).

Underworld was a sequel to both Legend and Anniversary, and I'm not sure if those were in canon with the Core Design games. But there's a reason they bundle those three together a lot - jumping into the third part of a trilogy and expecting all the plot points to make sense is a bad idea.

And yet, that's effectively what you're doing with the Ratchet & Clank movie (to neatly tie it all back together), since watching it feels like you missed another film that explains what everything is. Having the same writer from the games do the film was both a good and bad thing - good because it's faithful, bad because it lacks a proper entry point for newcomers. If they'd had another writer in there who wasn't familiar with the games and basically kept asking "what's that?" at everything, I suspect it would have helped.

Speaking of Tomb Raider, didn't they just cast another Lara Croft for the reboot movie?

They did - Alicia Vickanda. But that's a topic for a different thread. :)