Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 14: I Think This Is A Winner

I loved the marketing research comments on Psychonauts.

The sad thing is that, from a marketing perspective, they were probably right. The artistry or creativity of a piece of entertainment rarely correlates with its success.

I must admit, it feels pretty odd to see something I've been following closely for the past 2 years no longer be "our little secret thing". A mix of excitement and "well, it's been fun. see you around", I suppose :)

There you go The Broken Age Team.

THANKS FOR BACKING!!!

Love,

The Broken Age Team

PS, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIJAH WOOD!

You're welcome The Broken Age Team.

Nah! Thank you!

Happy Birthday to Frodo too!

:something in my eye:

It was such a joy watching all of you these two years making this amazing game.

I wish you the best of success.

Looking forward to Act 2 and more of these videos.

I don't want this to end. Ever. #selfish ;)

I already played the game about 11 hours (finished two times).

I love Act 1 (a masterpiece of art and storytelling); you already know puzzles in Act 2 need to be harder, though.

Bought the game again as a gift for a good friend who had her birthday last week.

Hope it sells well: it is up in the top ten list on steam (4th) at the moment :D

Congrats Reds!

Well Done.

It's here! It's finally here!!!

I shall get the damn word out for this fine adventure!! :D

*Tweets incessantly*

congrats to everyone at double fine and 2pp, what a great experience to have been a part of, wish the best of luck for you folks !

here's a little sketch my friend did when we watched ray's side quest way back when. much love to the animators at double fine, i wanna see ray's thesis !

9i7nrz0.jpg

I am on the second watch through... Another great episode....

I have also been posting my positive reviews on this game on different forums , steam and Metacritic...as I so want this game to succeed...not just because I want more adventure games done by Double Fine (pleas, please please :D ), but because this game is a work of art and fantastic and deserves my praise. I still hope it harder for act two, but I do think by doing act 1 as you have done it is probably a canny move...as I know so many who like the idea of adventure games, but find them too frustrating.

So at 8 minutes you guys admitted to paying for good reviews?

they asked for ex-game reviewers to review their game for their eyes only, these weren't published

Great episode, great game. Hope the sales are good for you, guys! Just tone the difficulty up a bit in Act 2.

So at 8 minutes you guys admitted to paying for good reviews?

It seemed like that to me too. But apparently they are "test reviews". Giving the game to some people that used to be reviewers and let them write a review like they would have written. Or something like that. In order to better anticipate what the likely response is going to be.

I found that to be very interesting and another thing I didn't know about "proper" game development but it makes total sense to know as much as possible before going forward. (another reason this documentary series is so great. There's loads of stuff in the series that I just wasn't aware of at all)

Holy crap. This was emotional even for me, I can't imagine how you guys felt when it went beta!

Anyways, I saw today way another small (40MB) update for the game on Steam - bug fixes I assume; not that I saw any since the last big (~700MB) fix.

Great work, the art is _amazing_, this visual style you guys managed to create is really breathtaking if someone takes the time just to wander around. Please make the puzzles harder in Act 2. :) I finished Act 1 in like 4 hrs, then played again jumping over any cutscenes/dialogues - 1h40m. Maybe add in a few junk items for good measure?

My favorite line from the game so far is said by Marek after he tells Shay how the Talon Nebula got its name, Shay says something, and Marek does that deadpan "It is?" - So it's important to talk to everybody people. The voice acting is impeccable, especially the ever perfect Jen Hale; that coupled with the music really makes this game immersive on a level very few games are. I mean it looks to me like a perfect blend of everything, writing, art, acting, music... great job.

Was Wil Wheaton mentioned anywhere in previous Episodes? I only remember Tim announcing Jack Black as a special guest but not Wil.

It's a lovely game. My daughter bugs me every day to play some "boy and the wolf".

Good job 2player productions, you guys have been amazing at holding emotion. Honestly Tim I was right there with you and know the emotion you felt as you watched that streamer log off the stream. You guys have poured everything into this game and I am so proud to have it in my "hands". I am really grateful for the super intimate look we as backers got for this game. I know you guys have said that you rather not do it like this again, but the super open door and ability to see exactly what was going on in your little office is inspiring. Thank you for allowing 2player in and for doing this documentary. Thank you 2player for being so excellent in your production and knowing how to show emotion.

Great episode to conclude the first "half" of development!

To everyone on the team, I want to say despite my disappointment with the simplicity of the puzzles, you all did a great job and even though you don't know me at all, the regulars that show up in most episodes have become kind of a "family" for me, and I'm sure many other backers feel the same way. A big thank you to 2PP for shooting it this well to allow this phenomenon that's usually limited to TV shows and other media to happen in a documentary about the making of a video game.

@Tim: In the documentary, you read out this post of mine, which put a smile on my face for some reason:

Just finished downloading! Start playing now! Let's hope you did a good job, Tim!

So maybe I can put one on yours by saying now, after I played the game: You did!

2PP & DF: Keep up the great work, I am still looking forward to Act 2 and hope, no, am quite sure that all the feedback given will be taken into account as much as possible, as has been demonstrated even within the short time span between the backer release and today's official release.

Good luck reaching that secure state of independence you're striving for!

It's so weird watching this after finally playing the game. I'm at a slight loss for words. I'll go find some.

As great as it was to play, it's great to see your side of it (again) and all the amazing work you have, and continue to put in this game. I've very excited to see the "regular" people play this game. I can myself take credit for getting 11 people to buy this game for today's release. I'll try and find a 100,000 more people.

Greg, thanks for your response about the soundtrack, I sorted it out. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have a feeling you've been very busy. :)

My love goes out to everyone at Double Fine!

Hey, the first episode I watched when it was actually released, rather than watching it 2 years later! ;) Really excited about the launch, hope it does well, and congrats and big thanks again to everyone on the team! :)

I loved the marketing research comments on Psychonauts.

I know. Wow.

1. Story is unoriginal

2. People aren't going to want to play it more than once

3. It shouldn't be set in a summer camp

4. Humour should be more obvious and play a secondary role

I don't know how people could get paid so much to be so, SO wrong. I guess all the jobs for Wall St analysts were taken.

I don't really post as often as I should on here, but I just wanted to say that I will miss these little documentaries as the development for Act 1 has come to a close. It was a really amazing experience these last 2 years watching the team at Double Fine work through this truly special game that needed to be made.

I'm probably one of the few on here that never did grow up with adventure games, but rather Doom and Quake, but as I grow older I realize how important storytelling is in almost everything in order to captivate an audience and really mean something and be memorable. Just like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island before it, I will never forget playing Broken Age and hope that more like this will be on the way in the future for Double Fine.

Take a break and celebrate! You all deserve it!

To everyone on the team, I want to say despite my disappointment with the simplicity of the puzzles, you all did a great job and even though you don't know me at all, the regulars that show up in most episodes have become kind of a "family" for me, and I'm sure many other backers feel the same way. A big thank you to 2PP for shooting it this well to allow this phenomenon that's usually limited to TV shows and other media to happen in a documentary about the making of a video game.

YES, yes, yes, yes, TOTALLY. We've seen the Reds team on the screen multiple times and I feel like I've gotten to know many of you so much even though we've never met in person. I get a kick out of seeing the team's posts here on the forum and being able to attach a face and voice to them. And yes, big thanks to 2PP for the great documentary! I thoroughly agree with the emotion and admit to getting emotional myself. :) Time for me to watch the Sidequests now. :)

I have to say that after watching this episode.. THANK YOU, a thousand times THANK YOU!. This documentary clearly shows the love you guys have to this game. For me.. it was almost perfect as a game, I felt it needed harder puzzles but that is it.. the games exudes care in all aspects. Thank you for all the time you sacrifice with your family and love ones. Special thanks to the poor Audio guy.. THANK YOU.

Tim.. That watering eye when the live feed of the game says.. this is a good game congratulations.. just knock me over. I felt like hug you ( and then having beers because you know.. we must behave macho! ).

I was on the fence to buy DF9.. after seeing the care you put to games.. you guys deserve to succeed big, Just please... don't become EA! :(.

Great episode! I liked watching the reactions of Tim & Co. to the player/reviewer reactions. I could probably watch 30 minutes of just that.

It's like, when you love a game and you kinda wanna hug it, but it's just a game so it doesn't respond or hug back? But when I see the team reading positive comments and smiling and high fiving and stuff, it's kinda like "Oh they received my hug! Awesome."

Great job to both teams (DF/2PP). Ya done good. The world is a better place with both companies in it. May you continue to bring us happiness for years to come.

Christmas+Cheers.png

I'm the guy streaming at the end!!!! Thank you guys so much for watching me play, it was really really enjoyable and I ended up turning the stream off (due to the embargo) and marathoning the rest of the game in one sitting!

I hope that my criticism that the art was "low res" doesn't get taken the wrong way. It was only for the seldom few art assets I pointed out on stream, nothing major at all! The art overall is just amazing and I loved every minute of the game!

Thanks again for featuring me team, it's been a pleasure backing you!

(Also curse you Tim for convincing me you weren't the real Tim in chat! :D)

So glad to see the video, been waiting for more documentary excitement.

Also, Streetlight Manifesto hoodie sighting!

Sign in to follow this