Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 14: I Think This Is A Winner

Dear Backers,

Can you believe it? Broken Age Act 1 is launching TODAY!

Two effing day.

And you've helped us make that possible. Not just with your backing, but with the past two weeks where you've been playing the game. Thank you all so much for finding bugs and sharing feedback and helping us make Broken Age better. We have some specific notes below on how exactly you made it better. But now we think it's--fingers crossed--ready for the public. Today! This very moment in fact! Holy smokes.

To celebrate, we have a new episode from 2 Player Productions for you to enjoy that shows us launching the game, reading your responses, and creepily spying on your "Let's Play" videos.

Today an era is ending--the game will no longer be our private little project. It will be in the hands of regular mortals, and we don't know what those hands are like. They could be nice hands. They might be dirty and smell like feet. There could be hangnails and scabs. Oh man, I'm freaking myself out. They might be the hands of angels! We don't know! But you backers will always have a special relationship with us. You are still the experts on the game, and the ambassadors to the general public. When people ask why the game was split in half, you will know. When they ask is this a live symphony on the soundtrack, you will know. And when people say, "Why is there a town made of sand castles in this game?" you can say, "Oh yeah, that was us."

You're going to be seeing a lot more public coverage of the game, and fewer backer-only updates, which might feel weird at first, but I hope you all realize that its something we have to do to get the word out. It's time to sell this game! And, just like you made suggestions about the game's development, we would like to hear your ideas on how to sell this game. Any creative ideas to generate attention are welcome and appreciated.

And if you could help us out by spreading the word like crazy today, that would be amazing, and it would also make Act 2 that much easier to make awesome. So please yell it from the mountaintops, Broken Age Act 1 is out today!

So, what's in the latest game update? Gameplay-wise, there are now some new control tweaks and options, in response to your feedback: Mouse sensitivity, for one, and an option to use inventory items with a click-and-click, rather than click-and-hold (everybody cheers). If you liked it the old way, you can switch back to that too. The inventory now opens on mouseover rather than only on click. Dialogue options are now mapped to the 1-4 keys, and the right mouse button is now mapped to the inventory on Windows and Linux. (Even bigger cheers, some eyes well up.)

On the polish side, the new build includes a bunch of compatibility bug fixes, most notably some crash bugs on AMD machines. (Phew!) Also, we've included a slew of art and animation polish improvements, so the animation should look a bunch smoother and there are a lot of backgrounds that were repainted at a higher resolution.

So, please check out the new version and tell us what you think!

EPISODE 14: I THINK THIS IS A WINNER

As is often the case in game development, the last bits of getting Broken Age Act 1 out the door were pretty harrowing--but it all came together happily. And of course 2PP was there to get it all on video. Warning: If you have strings in your heart, they might be mildly tugged. That's really your fault for having heart strings. Anyway, Enjoy!

[vimeo]85115285[/vimeo]

NEW TRAILER

We've had Shay and Vella trailers before, but here is the One Trailer to Rule them All, Plus some Documentary Footage. Obviously you folks are well aware of all that went into the creation of Broken Age, starting with the crowdfunding campaign, but a lot of people out there missed all that! So 2PP cut together this short trailer introducing the game to people who may not even have seen the Kickstarter in the first place. Plus it's a nice reminder of the journey we've all been on together. But don't let me start on all that or I might cry.

L2ShKSQZQdE

DRM-FREE RELEASE

We always planned for the backer beta to be a Steam-only release, as Steam makes it really easy for us to issue updates and bug fixes that we're confident all players will be able to easily receive—especially when we're managing the game on three platforms simultaneously. We also think Steam provides a great system for seamlessly tying in Act 2 once that's ready to go out.

However, we've also been taking to heart all the feedback from folks who want to download the game in a DRM-free format as soon as possible. So we're getting that prepped! Once we're fully comfortable with the state of the build and have all our ducks in a row, we'll ship that out. We don't have a release date for that just yet, but expect it in the next month or so. Stay tuned!

STANDALONE SOUNDTRACK RELEASE

Many of you have asked how to obtain the soundtrack if you didn't get in on one of the soundtrack backer tiers. We've now made Peter McConnell's incredible original score available on Bandcamp! So head over there to listen and buy:

http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/album/broken-age-original-soundtrack

STEAM TRADING CARDS

These have been created and should be uploaded to Steam today! There’s a whole set of cards, badges, emoticons, and backgrounds to unlock. Between this and all the art polish I’d say it’s worth taking another spin through the final shipping game!

THAT'S IT!

Well, not really. We're already hard at word on Act 2, so you'll still be getting great documentary episodes and sidequests and behind-the-scenes posts from the team. We're not sure exactly when Act 2 will be out, but we promise to release it the second it's awesome. But for today, it's Act 1 launch day, so let's send our baby out into the world in style.

THANKS FOR BACKING!!!

Love,

The Broken Age Team

PS, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIJAH WOOD! :)

SHOW NOTES

1:30 - Filmed during an unseasonably cold week in San Francisco

5:20 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUASEuo61Wo

12:50 - Released in 2009, Tales of Monkey Island was the fifth entry in the series

16:23 - That’s Tony Lo -- last seen in episode 8 of the series, testing the Meriloft section of the game for the Hour of Fun.

23:00 - Tim working on Act 2 stuff!

23:30 - It’s Double Fine tradition to read off the employee anniversaries during the Super Double Fine Meeting.

26:00 - Pandiculation is the act of yawning and stretching simultaneously.

29:08 - Double Fine Adventure was successfully funded on March 13, 2012.

31:00 - Now you can clap for Bagel.

31:26 -

That video don't work yo!

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain.

Working on my end. Try clicking the little link for the other player and see if that works!

That video don't work yo!

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain.

Working on my end. Try clicking the little link for the other player and see if that works!

Oh, didn't even see that link. All good now, thanks!

Wait... *cough* guys *cough*... I suck at hiking... *sweat*

No estimates for when I'll get to the mountain tops but I certainly am yelling "OMG BROKEN AGE" as I go along. Oh and I shared the video every where I could on the interwebs too!

SO EXCITED YOU GUYS!

Well that's a pleasant surprise! Will watch momentarily.

Congrats on the launch to the BA team! It's been quite a journey, but the best is yet to come.

Didn't see the episode yet, but love the launch trailer!

Are there any Act 1 spoilers in this doc episode? For those of us who haven't quite finished Act 1 yet.

No spoilers till episode 15, maybe. We'll put a warning at the front when it happens.

Is there any word on when the documentary will be available for download? The previous update said "around the Act 1 release date," does that mean hours, days, weeks, or longer?

Are there any Act 1 spoilers in this doc episode? For those of us who haven't quite finished Act 1 yet.

No spoilers till episode 15, maybe. We'll put a warning at the front when it happens.

Thanks for the quick response!

Is there any word on when the documentary will be available for download? The previous update said "around the Act 1 release date," does that mean hours, days, weeks, or longer?

Still working on getting that set up. Hopefully we can get them up in the next month or so.

Great episode! Congrats everybody on the REDS team. I've played through Act 1 and LOVED it!

I look forward to the rest of the world seeing what a great game this is!

DF! Thank you again for the great game! I don't think anyone who has played Broken Age should be suprised to see how much effort you all put in the game (because it shows), but it's so nice to see how much heart you put into it! Great episode, and I can't wait to continue on this magnificent journey with you guys. I'll sacrifice a block of tofu to the gods, for good fortune for all of you!

DAMN 2PP! Every episode of this documentary is AWESOME! I almost cried on this one. I feel sorry for non-backers :)

Are you guys planning on releasing a game + documentary bundle?

Wow, my heart really went out to Camden. It's horrible, you see the toll crunch takes, and for Ray, too, but you've got to be working the right job if you're willing to do it out of such conviction.

The episode was amazing, as a viewer you could feel the weight being lifted and things coming together that have been a long time coming. And I might actually be unable to play any game the same again (aside from those that do not feel loved), knowing that people bleed and sweat for them. It's one thing reading about it, but following the journey like this brought the point home.

So. Congratulations? Congratulations.

Another lovely episode. The launch section was really heartwarming. And seeing some of the team get so brutally honest about the company during that agonising crunch was wonderful.

So do we have any confirmation about how much longer the doc will last? I recall someone saying it would continue after the act 1 launch, but will it keep its pace through until the full game is out, or will it be a more occasional thing now that the bulk of what there is to show has been shown?

Looks like Kickstarter is featuring Broken Age on their front page today! https://www.kickstarter.com

Amazing new trailer, the quotes from the reviewers made me cry.

If the game gets featured on the Mac App Store and iOS App Store when it comes out, I have a feeling it will do very well. Also, I can't wait to see it on iPad, it must look gorgeous!

I loved the marketing research comments on Psychonauts.

I finally got around to watching all of the documentary episodes after finishing the game and I have to admit I'm happy I waited and went in blind on the game itself before actually watching the documentary.

Now though I have a bit of a problem. The documentary is so awesome that I want to see the rest as it comes out but I also sort of maybe want to go somewhat blind into act 2 so we'll see how it goes.

So, how does it work that this Bagel guy has worked there for 13 years, but he has to come "visit"? Does he work from home far away?

So, how does it work that this Bagel guy has worked there for 13 years, but he has to come "visit"? Does he work from home far away?

Yeah. It's in one of the earlier episodes.

Sign in to follow this