Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 14: I Think This Is A Winner

Haha, "You're playing the game wrong"

Actually, I totaly agree with the player who didn't understand why he needed shoes.

I thinks this dialogue should be enabled only after Vella talks to Car'l about shoes...

Currently, it just might feel like a "plot hole" or something.

I second this. I definitely got the shoes before talking to everyone in the first area of Meriloft, and it took me a second to figure out what they were for. I think needing to hear a particular piece of dialogue before being able to acquire certain items would help make the game feel both longer and more difficult. I found answers to puzzles I didn't even know existed, and had very little back-tracking to do once I finally reached the area where that particular item was needed. Regardless, the game is amazing, and I cannot wait for Act 2.

Quick question: Is there a way to download this onto my tablet, to watch on my way to work tomorrow morning?

Quick question: Is there a way to download this onto my tablet, to watch on my way to work tomorrow morning?

No. You can stream it, though.

I know 2PP are their own company, but damn is this documentary VICE level quality. HBO level quality. Its top notch, I love it, and love you.

Thanks so much for working hard and doing what you want to do because it shows and your work is inspirational, Double Fine and 2PP! :D

huzzah!! congrats guys!! really hope it does well! Im telling all my gaming friends to buy it and will get an extra copy for my wife as soon as its released on iphone.

and how stoked is that backer whos twitch got featured! awesome

all the best

Great episode! Too short though... want to watch MOAR. ;) Really looking forward to seeing the team's reaction to all the backer feedback and what gets tweaked and changed because of it. Good work, 2PP!

Re: the marketing document for Psychonauts

tszVr1D.gif

People in marketing/advertising are surely good people, but as ridiculous as that Psychonauts marketing document is, it's pretty much on par with most other marketing documents I've seen.

http://i.imgur.com/6xPGDi1.png

I am so damn proud of you guys, you did it!!! I feel as excited as the the first time I swtiched on my commodore 64... keep up the good work!

Not sure if this is the appropriate venue for this question (and I hope it's not totally stupid), but here goes:

Back before this update went out, you could reach the Secret Backer Area by going to the Double Fine main page, clicking on the DFA/Broken Age box and logging in. You would end up on the page that had a summary of all the new updates that were happening with the game.

Now that the game is out in the wild, I found that when performing that same process, you go to a new page: http://www.brokenagegame.com/

It's a very lovely page, but I couldn't figure out how to get back to the Secret Backer Area. Does that page still exist? Will it continue to be updated? Is there still an easy way to reach it?

Love Broken Age and the video series.

Can't wait for the rest of the world to enjoy it, too.

Cheers!

It's a very lovely page, but I couldn't figure out how to get back to the Secret Backer Area. Does that page still exist? Will it continue to be updated? Is there still an easy way to reach it?

I believe this is what You're looking for? (not sure if it's linked to anywhere right now, I just had it bookmarked)

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa

I believe this is what You're looking for?

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

I appreciate the quick response!

I guess maybe I'll bookmark that now. :D

Noticed the Ryan Davis memorial pin on Tim's desk.

Oh man. I was already tearing up over how hard Camden and the rest of the team were working, and seeing Tim's pride at all the positive tweets/Livestreams, but I didn't catch this. Ryan was an amazing guy. I still miss him.

I'm going to try and get everyone I can to buy Broken Age, if they haven't already. It's Elijah Wood's birthday. If they don't, they get the sad Frodo face. One cannot resist the sad Frodo face.

sad-frodo.jpg

This game is absolutely fantastic and it deserves to be a major hit for Double Fine like The Walking Dead was for Telltale. They proved that a crowd funded game can live up to its hype and give the fans what they want. Now lets hope that Wasteland 2, Pillars of Exile, and Torment can fallow in Broken Ages success.

Also, damn that marketing document for Psychonauts is funny. You cant miss the whole point any more than they did

Probably one of the best episodes of the documentary

I found the marketing/business stuff to be very interesting, especially the price/release date discussion. Had no idea mock reviews were a standard industry practice, but it makes a lot of sense.

Great, now retroactively feel bad for saying the puzzles where a bit too easy in one of the "how did you find the game" threads. I can just picture Tim reading that thread and crying a single tear with every post until he suffers from severe dehydration and has to get a drink. Although that would also mean getting up a lot to refill his mug and they do say exercise is good for you, so perhaps there's a positive in everything.

But seriously this documentary is really making this so worth it for me. I find it fascinating to see the process and the story behind the game. Don't worry the game by itself is great too, but the documentary makes me glad I backed it via kickstarter.

This also really seems to be a trend among the "successful" kickstarters or at least those that people talk about (which obviously isn't necessarily the same thing) that lots of transparency is the key to keep people interested and excited.

I have not posted much in these forums, though I have followed the project as much as a new father can (in between midnight feeding and otherwise sleepless nights).

This episode reflects something that should be obvious for anyone who plays one of your games: you don't just make games, these games are a part of who you are, brought to life. You get to live out a dream of mine from childhood; you all not only have the talent to create worlds from the fabric of your imagination, you get to share those worlds with other, and see the joy you feel reflected in your audience.

Maybe fatherhood has made me sentimental, or nostalgic, or just self-reflective. But there is that dreamer in me that is glad that this exists, that I can share this with my son as proof that those daydreams and doodles are not just the stuff of fantasy. For all the voices in the world that tell dreamers to grow up, face reality, and take life seriously - this provides some balance that passion and hard work together can create something that, quite frankly, is as close enough to what I imagined magic was while playing make-believe in the back lot with my friends.

Bravo. Can't wait to experience the next chapter.

Man, that Justin Bailey, though. He's like Double Fine's cheat code, making sure future projects start with a full arsenal and, like, sexy leotards for the staff. It's a pleasure to watch him work.

Microsoft was totally right about the summer camp thing, though. Summer camps mean nothing to me, and worse, they're usually used as kind of a nostalgia shorthand, because everyone who matters went to summer camp, right?

I found the marketing/business stuff to be very interesting, especially the price/release date discussion. Had no idea mock reviews were a standard industry practice, but it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, from what I can tell, mock reviews are pretty common, though it's not often talked about. In one of the videos about Brad Muir that was filmed while the MC Kickstarter was still going, he talks about the mock reviews they did for Brutal Legend. All of the mock reviews came back really positive, so it surprised him when the game was released to the wild and the real review scores were all over the place.

I laughed so hard at the microsoft marketing document bit, saying that if you took psychonauts and ripped all the heart out it would sell better. Then I thought about that and shed a tear. Illegitimi Non Carborundum, Mr. Tim!

I need to know what that poster at 28:48 is! Nobody else saw that?

I want to know about the Brutal Legend posters by Greg's desk, or if they just pieces of art.

I haven't posted here much lately because I've been rather busy, but after seeing this episode I just can't wait any longer to acknowledge the game and at least show my gratitude. Sincerest thanks to Tim and the team for bringing this style of game, which was such a big part of my childhood and so influential in my life, back so beautifully and in such style. The passion and dedication behind the project is so evident. The enormous effort that goes into making such a gorgeous handcrafted experience is deeply appreciated. The LEC adventure fan in me is utterly satisfied. This first act of the game was a great pleasure to play through. I actually played through it with someone who hadn't played any of the classics, and she was utterly captivated from start to finish.

What pushed my delight far beyond my expectations is the extent to which the game resonates with my perspective. The humanity shines through every pore of this game. Everything is symbolically potent and I believe it will speak to many people in more ways than they even realize. The message and perspective are so on point, and heartfelt.. Tim, I have more respect for you than ever, and that's saying quite a lot given my youthful obsession with your creations.

My best wishes and love to everyone who worked to bring this project to where it is, and may Double Fine enjoy a bright, independent future. I'm backing you all the way. :)

Just watched documentary. Probably my favorite episode so far. Keep up the great work, guys!

(AND MAKE THE PUZZLES IN ACT II HARDER!!! :P )

Was this the last episode? I hope not these are awesome.

Speaking of which I forgot but my backer level said I would get a Special edition box containing both the game disc and a DVD or Blu-Ray of the documentary.

I'm sure this is WAY down the road after everything is done but is that still being honored? Sorry I don't keep up on the forums, don't hate me please. :)

Loved the ending bit with Tim and the Twitch video. "You're playing it wrong." -- Ha ha. The cloudshoes were obviously used to keep you from falling from the clouds, but I think I visited the abandoned Maiden last.

I need to know what that poster at 28:48 is! Nobody else saw that?

I want to know about the Brutal Legend posters by Greg's desk, or if they just pieces of art.

Yeah those posters are badass too.

Congratulations Double Fine and thank you!

Thanks to 2 player productions for making such a great documentary.

I loved it when Tim read out the marketing research notes for Psychonauts, that was hilarious.

I really felt for Camden, he looked like he'd been up for a week straight, and Oliver drowning in a sea of bugs.

Great work everyone, and I wish you all success for the game.

Was that a tear I saw Tim? hahahaha

Sign in to follow this