Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 14: I Think This Is A Winner

You guys, these documentaries are so amazing. All this inside stuff about game design and production is absolutely fascinating and something that I have just never seen before in any medium. And there's hours and hours of it. And I got to watch it unfold in real time as bits and pieces of the development were reported on by the press. It's just fascinating.

Honestly, the documentary itself is easily worth the Kickstarter pledge. I'm a fan of the Minecraft documentary, but Two Player has outdone themselves with this epic thing.

Awesome episode folks! Question: will you guys be sharing sales figures? I'm dying to know if you guys are going to be financially secure going forward...

Was this the last episode? I hope not these are awesome.

AFAIK they'll continue all the way to the completion of Act II.

This is a top notch start to what should turn out to be a fantastic adventure game by it's completion in Act 2. I've played through the entirety of Act 1 and it's definitely a work of art. Initially I harbored some concern about the puzzle difficulty but in the end they balance out pretty well. The character switching mechanic is ingenious and I highly recommend that you take advantage of it's presence. The artwork is superb, the pacing is excellent, the scenarios are comical, and the gameplay is right where you'd expect a modern day adventure game aspiring to the heights of mt. nostalgia to be.

Awesome episode! So many moments where I felt the feels ='D

The game itself really spoke to me as someone who is going through a coming of age story of my own. It is first year of University (on the path for me to learn the art of game design and to become a game designer and writer). Despite going through anxiety, depression, and a wide variety of other challenges, I'm trying my best to find my own path just like the characters in the game.

I am so very happy that I took what i had thought was a risk and backed this game despite the only point & click adventure game I had played at that time was Blue's Birthday Adventure and the Pajama Sam series. I had played other games by double fine such as brutal legends, costume quest, psychonauts and stacking, so I had a good feeling about it.

Thanks to backing that kickstarter, it has lead me to meet a bunch of wonderful people, whether it was from DF Game Club, on the DF forums, or from talking to veteran adventure game players to find out what games I had been needing to play all my life. So thank you so much Double Fine and 2 Player productions for making a wonderful game, a fantastic documentary, and bringing together a bunch of amazing people together to remind the world that "ADVENTURE GAMES ARE NOT DEAD!" When I finally start making games for a living or for fun, you can best I will always give special thanks in the credits to Tim Shaefer, Ron Gilbert, and everyone who has ever worked at Double Fine and 2 Player Productions for helping to inspire me to achieve my dreams and make the absolute best game I can possibly make. Thanks again to the entire team! I'll be looking forwards to finally getting to play Act 2 and seeing how this masterpiece concludes =D

I really, really hope you guys are able to share the initial sales figures with us early next week. It's bugging me for some irrational reason that we don't get to watch a counter of how many copies have sold... :) We wish you guys loads of success - rest up, and then get to work on Act 2!!! *whipcrack*

Omg, they used that VGX footage.

They sooo got Greg Kasavin to pre-review the game, I just know it! Love that guy.

That marketing research on Psychonauts, priceless!

Seriously loved the game, was super impressed how well it was coming together at Day of the Devs and wow, did it come together for release. I'll certainly spread the word.

Thank you all for your hard work and I wish you all success!!! I'd love to see Double Fine with money to continue making games and well, be financially successful. And thanks to Two Player Productions for helping to tell this story. It's been a magical journey. I'll be showing off this documentary for years to come, I'm sure.

Looking forward to Act II!

That video don't work yo!

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain.

Working on my end. Try clicking the little link for the other player and see if that works!

Why doesn't the regular player work for some people (myself included)? The "other player" has worked every time, except one (episode 12, I think), but I've never gotten the main player to work.

It was a good episode. You seemed downright gleeful, Greg. Like a great weight had been lifted. But please, now that it's out, let the sound guy sleep! ;0)

Great episode, especially Tim welling up watching the lets play at the end! (Or at least it looks like he' welling up).

Also just realized Double Fine uses the exact same chairs as they do at my work. Feeling privileged.

I love you guys.

Really.

Seriously.

This is the greatest thing to happen to gaming since April 19, 2005. ;)

The game itself was the cherry on the cake of adventure which was the backer forums and documentary.

High five! Low five! Middle five and FIVE STARS for the greatest 2 years of my 17 year life!

Thanks Tim and thank-you team!

-Tim 'Bales' Bridges

Random question about the sales numbers, 500000 sold would make the studio fully independent... but technically only is like eight million after steam cuts? Wassent Act 1 like six million in development cost already? Or would that be more in smal game terms, like we could do spacebase without 400k of the indy fund?

I hope this game sells great, but with (already? only?) 70000 people in via Kickstarter 400000+ seems like such a large number. Seeing the players a a time number peak at under 3000 seems so low for launch day… what dos that mean for the full day? Maybe 10000 players during the entire first day? It feels kinda scary low… someone got a spare hug? :-)

To the entire DF team: Thank you all so very much! Watching from the shadows all this time, I felt like I had to thank you and tell you how much I'm grateful for everything you've acomplished so far. (even if you don't get to read this)

And thank you 2player production, your videos have brought me to tears a few times, and throroughly enjoyed every one of them.

Thank you Tim, I hope you get your vision fulfilled, so I can get my kids to wait for your new games one day, just like I am now.

Thank you.

-M

First of all congratulation and thanks to everyone, literally everyone, involved in this project. I hope this game will get the recognition (and the sales!) that it deserves. It's not a perfect game, but it transpires love and passion and it's just a joy to experience.

One question though: I didn't understand if, now that the first Act is out, the documentary will still go on or if this is the end of it

One question though: I didn't understand if, now that the first Act is out, the documentary will still go on or if this is the end of it

The documentary will definitely continue, as they still have the development of act 2 to film, but from what I've heard, it will assume that the viewer has played act 1 from here on out, so act 1 spoilers will be abound.

This wonderful episode managed to make me feel guilty for my critical reaction to the puzzle design.

Still, I'm vocal because I love you, guys.

Wow, my heart really went out to Camden. It's horrible, you see the toll crunch takes, and for Ray, too, but you've got to be working the right job if you're willing to do it out of such conviction.

The episode was amazing, as a viewer you could feel the weight being lifted and things coming together that have been a long time coming. And I might actually be unable to play any game the same again (aside from those that do not feel loved), knowing that people bleed and sweat for them. It's one thing reading about it, but following the journey like this brought the point home.

So. Congratulations? Congratulations.

Yeah I really felt for Camden as well, you can just they all care so much and put everything into the game. Definitely think it paid off though, absolutely love act 1.

I love the themes in this episode about getting the company free. Initially it was "Free From The Publisher A55holes", but now we seem to be hinting at a deeper kind of freedom. More like "Free from everyday budgetary concerns that hound most creative businesses", or "Free to innovate wildly and boldly, to forge entertainment unrestrained and naked, in a dazzling, meteoric outburst of raw, authentic inspiration'.

Seconding the poster who complimented Justin's abilities, god damn that guy is such a 5-star contribution to the company.

Someone asked was Greg Kasavin (Ex GameSpot journalist, writer on indie game "Bastion") an early reviewer of Broken Age? Definitely. He's in the credits as a tester.

Finally, my kids were so excited to see my name in the credits roll when we finished the game. One of them wasn't born when I backed it.

Just wanted to add my thanks and congratulations for the game and the documentary. I loved playing through Act 1, it's such a beautiful game in so many more ways than just the amazing art. I have loved being part of this and watching the whole story unfold through the great documentary video's.

Many thanks yet again!

Random question about the sales numbers, 500000 sold would make the studio fully independent... but technically only is like eight million after steam cuts? Wassent Act 1 like six million in development cost already? Or would that be more in smal game terms, like we could do spacebase without 400k of the indy fund?

I hope this game sells great, but with (already? only?) 70000 people in via Kickstarter 400000+ seems like such a large number. Seeing the players a a time number peak at under 3000 seems so low for launch day… what dos that mean for the full day? Maybe 10000 players during the entire first day? It feels kinda scary low… someone got a spare hug? :-)

Wow, now it´s not even in the Top 100 played games anymore. :x I hope everything is fine and i am just overinterpretating.

Wow, now it´s not even in the Top 100 played games anymore. :x I hope everything is fine and i am just overinterpretating.
It's in the top 20 on steam at the moment. Let's not get all panicky and let numbers discourage us! It's not like they have a big marketing budget here to spam tv with ads. It has only been one day and word-of-mouth takes some time.

Great job on the release. I'm proud of everyone involved. Spread the good vibes and let's keep up the good work!

Congrats on the launch! I immediately gifted a copy to my sister and encourage more backers to do the same. Also spread the word via FB, Twitter, etc.!! It's such a cool thing to be able to share our enthusiasm for this game with the world now.

Congratulations Doublefine on the stunning game!

I really hope we can get some sort of indication in a future episode how the game sold.

Relax! It's got like 4 hours of gameplay, max. It's not surprising that it would fall off that list.

You play it wrong! :D Great episode, first in the series that I not like because of informations about the game, but the emotions of the staff.

Congratulations to everyone! It's hard to believe that it's been almost 2 years already. What an amazing journey.

Two things:

1: That is a sweet-ass looking poster in the blurry foreground at 28:50. WANT.

2: Can we get our hands on some of the soundtrack songs for this documentary? The tune around the 25/26 minute mark was amazing =)

OH, and great game guys! Three things, I guess. Told myself I'd play half an hour because I had loads of work to do, and I ended up finishing it. Darn your addictively artistic game!

Sign in to follow this