Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Double Hi 5

Easy fix for accidentally solved puzzle (spoiler)

This one had me stumped for a while, so I was bummed at hearing people missing out on the awesome convo with the tree midget guy. Simply do this: Fill up the hole with cloud, and make it so she intentionally takes off slippers on that spot.

puzzles shouldn't accidently be solvable! I was thinking it would be more interesting if you had to weigh the tree down with some of the golden eggs to change the angle so he'd slip off. Or actually one thought I had was maybe I needed to cover vella in something gooey and sticky (like sap) so that when I got too close and the guy grabs vella and she falls, that he would end being stuck to her and get pulled off the tree with her and they would both get flown up to the top in that way. ((obviously sap wouldn't work because you need to solve this puzzle to get to the point with sap, but you get the idea)

But... no. You just click into a hole.

This one had me stumped for a while, so I was bummed at hearing people missing out on the awesome convo with the tree midget guy. Simply do this: Fill up the hole with cloud, and make it so she intentionally takes of slippers on that spot.

This is perfect.

This one had me stumped for a while, so I was bummed at hearing people missing out on the awesome convo with the tree midget guy. Simply do this: Fill up the hole with cloud, and make it so she intentionally takes of slippers on that spot.

It would be very tricky to hit the exact spot where the player needs to make her take off her shoes...

Unless there was some positioning guidance like for that one puzzle in Grim Fandango, but that sort of thing doesn't seem applicable here.

edit: Hm... maybe, when she's right above where she needs to fall through, have Gus say something to somehow hint at that. This would require more dialogue to be recorded, but not much.

I never understood why she couldn't just unhook his underwear from the branch with her hand.

I never understood why she couldn't just unhook his underwear from the branch with her hand.

4cSxkns.jpg

Hold up a fucking second. You're the same guy who keeps posting all over the place how "puzzles were simplified", "Act 1 is too easy" etc., yet when there is a puzzle the solution of which is not trivial, suddenly it's "hrmph it sux it should've been simpel herpdederp"?!

Try giving him the knife - then you'll understand.

Hold up a fucking second. You're the same guy who keeps posting all over the place how "puzzles were simplified", "Act 1 is too easy" etc., yet when there is a puzzle the solution of which is not trivial, suddenly it's "hrmph it sux it should've been simpel herpdederp"?!

that probably didnt mean he/she _wanted_ it to be solved like that. just that it seems too doable.

that probably didnt mean he/she _wanted_ it to be solved like that. just that it seems too doable.

Except no, because clearly Gus is just too weird and kicks her off when she gets near.

I think the problem with that is having to guess/know exactly where to do that w/o having some voice hints or something else rather unsatisfying. My thought was to have la wooden plank and a warning sign that says something like "watch your step." You'd then have to actively move that covering to drop in...

I have an idea: Move the egg.

Instead of placing it where you land on it after falling through the hole the first time, place it near the guy, and when he grabs you and struggles, have him kick it over into the nest, where you can then collect it by falling through the hole.

Which, makes for a great, really challenging puzzle, as well! Excellent thought!

This really should be fixed. Maybe file a bug?

I had the following idea (as mentioned earlier here by others):

Falling through the hole in the cloud: Nothing should happen before you met this funny guy. If you fall through you should just pass by.

1.) Vella should be able to do something with the branch, like trying to lower it to help this poor guy hanging there.

So: click/use branch.

2.) And then the branch would nearly break and this guy is like: "Stop it! Aaaaaah."

2b.) And by clicking the branch and nearly breaking it accidentally the position of the guy hanging on it is changed.

3.) Going up the tree and falling to this cloud hole (the left one) again.

It's early in the morning here, hoping you get me idea (and my English).

Sign in to follow this