Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MichaelM

Marketing/Advertising Brainstorming Magic

Hey Kids,

this is the amazing topic about how to get the game sold as much as possible. As general rule about brainstorming you should write everything down that comes to mind. Don´t say nay to yourself or to others, if an idea is good or possible to be realized is to be decided later on. Everything you write down might be great or inspire you or someone else to different ideas and snowball to more greatness.

My first thought. Put the Documentary on Netflix (have backers troll the rateing high, people will see it, watch it, buy the game), a TV Station... as a series, recut to fit the format of TV/a 90 Minute Film.

Now you go one. Again, keep in mind, for now this is only fantasy... Billboards, Posters, Viral Videos, Cossplay, TV Adds, Cinema Adds, FanEvents, The SuperBowl Halftime Show.... just whatever you can Imagine.

Sources to look at advertising.

http://adsoftheworld.com/

http://www.creativeguerrillamarketing.com/guerrilla-marketing/42-kickass-ambient-advertising-examples-2014/

http://www.adweek.com/

You could give the backers the opportunity to buy a second/third copy of the game for a special discount.

Since most backers are probably very proud they helped create the game, they probably want to share it with their family and friends. This would give them a perfect opportunity to actively do so while also gaining you additional profits.

To illustrate my chain of thought: If I share the trailer or let a friend play the game at my place, there is no guarantee that he's going to buy it for himself (even if I insist). Especially if the person is normally or mostly a non-gamer.

But if I could gift it to a friend for a "special price", the friend would be very thankful, you would have sold an additional game (you otherwise probably wouldn't have) and I would both be thankful (because you additionally appreciated my effort as backer) and happy/proud to have gifted such a great game to a friend. Win, win, win.

I also think it would look like a nice gesture to all the people who supported your work.

PhilipJFry's idea is pretty great. Remember that on Steam, you can buy extra copies to gift to friends and random people on the corner.

I think Double Fine should reach out to indie art publications outside of videogames. Note the several titles currently selling ahead of Broken Age on Steam; I doubt there are a lot of crossover players there. The people who are attracted to point-and-click titles tend to be interested in other indie projects like movies. Badass Digest and Cartoon Brew come to mind as good places to try to get some coverage.

As general rule about brainstorming you should write everything down that comes to mind.

Glass donkeys.

16th century cutlery.

Soy sauce shoes.

Invisible baseball punching simulator.

Mantis shrimps dancing to the overture from The Bartered Bride.

Barbed wire.

Wax capsicums.

Merging "yo momma" jokes and "knock-knock" jokes. (" 'Yo momma got knock-knocked up!' 'Who is it?' 'How am I supposed to know?!' 'How am I supposed to know who?' 'The guy who knocked her up!' 'YOU BASTARD!!!' ")

Vibrator chopsticks.

Take advantage of the new media, perhaps? Give interviews to YouTube personalities, that sort of thing.

You could give the backers the opportunity to buy a second/third copy of the game for a special discount.

Since most backers are probably very proud they helped create the game, they probably want to share it with their family and friends. This would give them a perfect opportunity to actively do so while also gaining you additional profits.

To illustrate my chain of thought: If I share the trailer or let a friend play the game at my place, there is no guarantee that he's going to buy it for himself (even if I insist). Especially if the person is normally or mostly a non-gamer.

But if I could gift it to a friend for a "special price", the friend would be very thankful, you would have sold an additional game (you otherwise probably wouldn't have) and I would both be thankful (because you additionally appreciated my effort as backer) and happy/proud to have gifted such a great game to a friend. Win, win, win.

I also think it would look like a nice gesture to all the people who supported your work.

You could even go out of your way of selling the steam/gog codes yourself and do something like a printable gift card/a gift code e-mail design with art from the game so it´s more than just cold steam code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.

Giftcards designed like an invetation to the maidens feast or The Boys schedule for the day.

Vellas Grandpah could be telling storys on his own YouTube Chan.

1) Perhaps something as simple as 2 copies for $40, I know Steam supports multi-packs like that. That would cut into revenue assuming that the sales would be constant but if a friend gets a copy for free he or she would have the exposure to recommend it to others.

2) I can't remember the last time I've seen a full catalog pack for Double Fine, have they ever done that? That seems like easy money to me, especially if the sales of other Double Fine games have slumped or leveled out.

3) Broken Age seems like it'd be a good game for parents and children. Perhaps reaching out to some of the popular family gaming sites would be a good way to reach a broader audience.

4) Extra freebies for everyone that doubles as marketing. For example, a Twitter theme for Broken Age. Or a Broken Age cover image for people to put on their Facebook profiles. A Tumblr theme also? If tastefully done I think a lot of backers will use them. Animated Gifs of the environments or even the initial character choice screen?

Step 1: have Tim write short story snippets enacted by DF employees.

Step 2: put series on YouTube/Steam/wherever needed.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: PROFIT!!!

1) Leverage youtube celebs. Totalbiscuit (1.5M subscribers), yogscast (6.6M subscribers), Geek & Sundry (will weaton/800k subs). Don't just give them a copy to review and have fun but do an interview/co-op play, that way they will hopefully feature it and more likely then not be nice about it. In this day and age youtube celebs are getting millions of hits and that's a ton of exposure.

2) Check from feedback how many people are playing this game with their children and based on that perhaps introduce more localized text versions depending on cost. If this is indeed a hit with parents wanting a good/easy friendly game to play with their children having it in as many languages as possible could be a good way to increase that potential buyer market.

3) Depending on how the rights are with the documentary, leverage the fuck out of that thing. The documentary sells the game so well. Like another person said, making it free to watch after some date to boost sales again would be great. Although would probably also incur some backlash from backers who feel that they paid for a by then free documentary.

4) After some point when the initial steam sales have sagged and perhaps before Act2 is about to come out create an "adventure pack" consisting of a bunch of adventure games including broken age, and some of the other indy adventure games that have come out in recent years. Via humble bundle or something. Will probably not make a lot of money but will raise awareness about the game before Act2 comes out anyway.

Create a giveaway on steamgifts.com. There are ~500,000 members there, and at the very least many will check out the Steam page to see what the game is about. BUT, to get some more hype, you can create a ‘puzzle’ in the forums that eventually leads to the giveaway. People drool over this stuff, and it’s a fun way to get people to possibly visit the DF site or tweet about the game. Also, creating puzzles is perfect for leading up to an adventure game giveaway :)

Usually the puzzles consist of steganography and decoding messages, hiding stuff in source code on websites, in images and metadata on free hosting sites, riddles on pastebin, etc. Maybe there could be one step in the puzzle that requires a Twitter post about Broken Age, and if a specific hashtag is included they’ll be sent the next step of the puzzle. Or there could be hints scattered in the webpage source code of other DF games (requires DF staff to be involved, of course). Lots of opportunity for mild marketing.

Ok so I see everyone except me has actually taken this totes seriously. This displeases me.
It's OK, doccolinni, you gave me a good chuckle. :)

I'm in agreement with the Internet/YouTube celebs thing. Get Felicia Day to play it. Make sure Wheaton is out there spreading the news. Did Elijah tweet about it yet? Ask Dodger if she'd be willing to do a playthru YouTube posting.

Do some Facebook, Twitter, Google+ preformatted, easily shared posts. You guys are good at funny. Do some weird, hilarious shit that people will want to share.

It is a double (fine) edged sword.. But I think it needs a demo (Vella story arc only and only just up until Mothra just arrives then cut to the trailer and to buy the fullgame)... I think the high price point (from those looking and new to adventures) will be wary to make the purchase. A demo might just win people over.).

Also have you considered an Single act purchase of £12? I know Telltale do that where you can get the season pass or buy each episode individually.

1) Leverage youtube celebs. Totalbiscuit (1.5M subscribers), yogscast (6.6M subscribers), Geek & Sundry (will weaton/800k subs). Don't just give them a copy to review and have fun but do an interview/co-op play, that way they will hopefully feature it and more likely then not be nice about it. In this day and age youtube celebs are getting millions of hits and that's a ton of exposure.

I'm noticing the absence of a certain 21 million subscribed let's player...

Here's a hint: It's starts with P and ends in Pie... >:D

A game grumps/steam train might be fun, but I bet they'd just get stuck and start complaining. But if you hit jackpot with them starting a remix meme...

It is a double (fine) edged sword.. But I think it needs a demo (Vella story arc only and only just up until Mothra just arrives then cut to the trailer and to buy the fullgame)... I think the high price point (from those looking and new to adventures) will be wary to make the purchase. A demo might just win people over.).

Also have you considered an Single act purchase of £12? I know Telltale do that where you can get the season pass or buy each episode individually.

According to statistics (Too lazy to look them up, so go ahead and say I'm wrong. I won't mind), demo is a bad idea, and the only demos that I've seen positively affect a game are one's that got a lot of press for being different. So far, the only demos I've seen get press are Stanley Parable (Shows off the feel of the game without using the actual game) and Bravely Default (Side story you transfer items over from and street pass in). Both seemed like they required extra time/money Double Fine does not have.

But that's just me. Maybe you all have different experiences. I've played many demos in my day, but haven't gotten many of those games.

I think having parts of some of the documentary episodes being put out online (like maybe a few 10-15min segments?) would be awesome marketing. Watching the doc has been fantastic in really connecting w/ the team & game and I bet would do a great job in selling not only the game, but also the full documentary. (get 'em hooked!)

I feel like there's a lot of cynicism / misconceptions / critiques from people looking outside in that would really would get blown away if they saw some of what we as backers have experienced.

Sign in to follow this