Sign in to follow this  
The_Typer

Successful or No?

Another thing, Spacebase DF-9 is about the same price, right, although there are some higher tiers. I don't remember that staying near the top of the Steam Charts for very long, but it recouped its indie fund investment of $400,000 in just 4 weeks, I seem to recall. I wouldn't be that surprised if Broken Age did as well as Justin hopes for, over the course of a year.

My guess is that they'd divulge sales figures soon enough, probably after the initial dust settles. If sales are good, publishing them right away might encourage more people to try the game. If they're not good, waiting might be better.

Don't forget that Steam is not the only source of income.

Once the game finishes they will be free to strike deals with foreign publishers for example, to release game in other languages. They will also have iOs and Android (and those alone can bring huge amounts of cash). They can port it to consoles.

Not to mention simply releasing full game will give them second round of reviews, and second wave of buyers on Steam, that could very well be larger than the first - because lots of people like to buy complete games, without preodering/acts/season passes etc.

Once the game finishes they will be free to strike deals with foreign publishers for example, to release game in other languages. They will also have iOs and Android (and those alone can bring huge amounts of cash). They can port it to consoles.

Not to mention simply releasing full game will give them second round of reviews, and second wave of buyers on Steam, that could very well be larger than the first - because lots of people like to buy complete games, without preodering/acts/season passes etc.

I'm with you on that. Thou I was always going to play the first Act Day 1 even if I wasn't a backer :P Oh man, my heart sunk when I saw that Broken Age dropped 10 spots on Steam :(

But yeah, I know there are alot of people that would rather play the game once its fully released. My last job, I worked in an Online Video game retail store. Once the Walking Dead GOTY came to our warehouse, it was one of our best sellers for quite a while/it was something that we were always restocking.

I remember that as part of the kickstarter campaign, they had a physical copy of the game as part of the tiers. Could this mean that they are going to release a "physical" copy of the game once it's complete? I know I would buy a copy :D (seeing how I didn't have the money spare to back that particular tier) I'm sure there are alot of people that haven't embraced the digital market and would buy a copy :)

I remember that as part of the kickstarter campaign, they had a physical copy of the game as part of the tiers. Could this mean that they are going to release a "physical" copy of the game once it's complete? I know I would buy a copy :D (seeing how I didn't have the money spare to back that particular tier) I'm sure there are alot of people that haven't embraced the digital market and would buy a copy :)

I believe that was only a part of the Kickstarter for people who loved old adventure game boxes as the game would come in a jewel case inside a box with a booklet that showed a bunch of neat stuff about the game as well as doubling as a manual.

Man those were the days...

Oh, I was thinking more just a standard dvd case release type deal... But oh man, those WERE the days!! The packaging for old PC games were the best! I will always remember the Zak McKracken Box that came with the National Inquisitor and the Exit visa Codes we had a pair of nose glasses as well (The store we brought it from gave them to us for free, guess they just got them from the $2 store, still awesome freebie) :D But they were like getting the collectors edition of a game, but it was just the standard everyday edition. I do miss that about games these days..

Not to mention simply releasing full game will give them second round of reviews, and second wave of buyers on Steam, that could very well be larger than the first - because lots of people like to buy complete games, without preordering/acts/season passes etc.

Agree that iOS/Android could have a big impact - I wonder how that's going to be timed/priced - realistically I think it'd be hard for them to charge more than $8 for the full game or what the sales numbers would actually be. I didn't hear if they were going to release Act I before Act II on mobile?

I agree that Act II will give a nice bump. I wonder if it'll go on sale before then (probably not simply because since Act II is included w/ Act I, any discounts before Act II is released is simply lost revenue).

After Act II though, I expect it'll end up in some Humble Bundles etc and that should help bring a healthy revenue second wind.

It's always tough to talk numbers since things are so close to the vest, perhaps rightly so. Revealing budgets, costs, sales numbers wasn't really part of the promise, and is genuinely scary (especially considering the amount of internet assholes around), but there's some stuff we know:

* After KS fees, rewards, and 2PP, there was about $2.3M to make a game.

* EP 10: We know that they raised another $2M (Brutal Legend, Humble Double Fine Bundle) and in the discussion $6M is mentioned as the projected budget (pre-split)

* EP 14: Justin says that at 500K sales would be an enormous success and will "supply all the funds we need to be completely independent." - less Valve's 30% cut and accounting for pre-sales discounts, that'd end up being a ballpark number of $8M? I wonder if that's just in reference to the game budget.

Speculations/thoughts:

* I think we can safely assume that the voice acting was at SAG scale. Looking at those rates I'd throw out a ballpark of $100K, but maybe someone else would have more insight?

* Live orchestra, and chamber studio recording for the soundtrack... maybe $30K? (it was unclear how many hours of session time, etc) still, either way, a tiny slice of the overall budget.

* By far the biggest cost would is dev time. Let's say 15 FTEs x 2yr at $160K fully loaded (fully loaded cost is about 2X salary, I'm assuming that DF employees are typically underpaid, especially fo living in SF) - that's about $5M

* Support contract w/ Zipline for Moai if any? (not enough for them to stay business)

* Outsourcing animation to Supergenius (no idea how much)

It looks like over the past couple years, DF has been getting the publishing rights back on their games (Brutal Legend, Psychonauts) and own the rights to their new IPs, although I have to wonder what that actually translates into in monthly residual income (the DF bundle sells on Steam for $35, individual games from $10-25)... In any case, it'd be interesting to hear more about their plans for being independent and what that entails. It looks like w/ games like Spacebase ($400K), Massive Chalice (~$1M, 32K backers) they can keep making titles/paying for small teams to work, but at 65 employees (Wikipedia count), it must be in the ballpark of $8-10M/yr just to keep the lights on?

Anyway, I hope that BA sells well enough to keep things going, but I wonder what "success" actually is. Maybe there are other threads that have discussed the budget stuff more in depth.

I think so too, that iOS and Android will be huge platforms for Broken Age, it's just the kind of a game I'd play on my tablet (and generally I think point & click games work very well on tablets, even the older ones that were designed on an era there wasn't any tablets around).

Just in the speculative tone I also do believe Broken Age is the adventure game from Kickstarter that will sell the most copies. It has gotten good reviews, people in general seem to like it, so the word of mouth is good and it is a bit of a darling of the media as well. It basically has everything going for it, where as the reception for other KS adventures has been much milder.

The spotlight is definitely on Broken Age, but Tesla Effect could be the dark horse in this race. It looks pretty good and has a major publisher behind it.

The spotlight is definitely on Broken Age, but Tesla Effect could be the dark horse in this race. It looks pretty good and has a major publisher behind it.

Agreed. Tesla Effect looks to be shaping up to something that could be the wildcard game of the year. I really think it could be hugely successful.

Yeah, I hope Tesla Effect does well. I really like Tex Murphy games, so anything that could bring on even a couple of more to the series is all good with me.

Agreed. Tesla Effect looks to be shaping up to something that could be the wildcard game of the year. I really think it could be hugely successful.

I agree. It seems like the old guard is still in full swing making the games that retain the great qualities of old that made them hits to begin with.

FMW is also something that really should benefit from technology advancing. You could argue that the same goes for 3D, but I'll take real people over 3D animation any day of the week. But, I'm talking out of the old FMW-lovers mouth. When Tex made a return, I pledged to the maximum of my ability.

Still haven't played Broken Age, as I await both parts to be available. The music seems outright fantastic and Stapley's art is a love of mine, but the rest is still up in the air for me, based on what I've seen and read.

The profit of such an endeavour is not just the money from sales. Just by having a successful Kickstarter they have received a lot of free advertisement. Kickstarter put them on their index page, gaming websites couldn't wait to finally see this product of legendary status.

It was an announcement to the world that Tim Schafer can still rock the gaming world by receiving 3+ millions just by mentioning he will make an adventure game. Add to this the morale boost for the DF employees and you have value that cannot be immediately counted in numbers.

An example is myself. I was not very aware of Double Fine's products before the noise of Kickstarter. Since I have become a backer, I have purchased Brutal Legend and Stacking and I am closely watching their other releases.

The profit of such an endeavour is not just the money from sales. Just by having a successful Kickstarter they have received a lot of free advertisement. Kickstarter put them on their index page, gaming websites couldn't wait to finally see this product of legendary status.

It was an announcement to the world that Tim Schafer can still rock the gaming world by receiving 3+ millions just by mentioning he will make an adventure game. Add to this the morale boost for the DF employees and you have value that cannot be immediately counted in numbers.

An example is myself. I was not very aware of Double Fine's products before the noise of Kickstarter. Since I have become a backer, I have purchased Brutal Legend and Stacking and I am closely watching their other releases.

Yes. This idea of intangible assets is not to be underestimated and is the main reason that a sales versus cost analysis is so incomplete. If people like Broken Age then that adds real value to everything else the company puts out, past and future. Just like games like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island and Full Throttle added immediate value to Double Fine from the start. I was interested in Psychonauts because of the pedigree. Now, in turn, people are interested in Broken Age because of Psychonauts. Those people might decide to try Stacking or whatever game comes out of the studio next. It's not something that is easily tracked or measured but it's very real.

3k people max played i was hoping for more ..... i hope they release act 2 as fast as possible
Doesn't sound too brilliant indeed... I hear many saying "oh, I'll just wait for the hole thing", which I think is a sensible approach. I just hope a lack of sales won't compromise the development of act 2.

... Then again, we can only guess at the actual sales number.

Appears to be ranking in at #25 now.

And now it's back up to #17.

I don't know, seems like it sold (and is selling) all right. It spent quite a bit of time near the top of the most sold list.

Plus that number of 3k people "max played" is the maximum number of people who played it at the same time. Considering that Act I takes about 4-5 hours on average to get through and that people from both Europe and USA (and other parts of the world) have played/are playing it, it's kinda difficult to gauge the sales from that.

3k people max played i was hoping for more ..... i hope they release act 2 as fast as possible
Doesn't sound too brilliant indeed... I hear many saying "oh, I'll just wait for the hole thing", which I think is a sensible approach. I just hope a lack of sales won't compromise the development of act 2.

... Then again, we can only guess at the actual sales number.

That's just the max concurrent users.

Skyrim sold ~1.5 Million on PC in the first few weeks and had a max concurrent user count of ~320k.

So they could have sold 20k, 30k, shit 50k you don't really know from the SteamCharts for sure, but I would say the low number is probably not a good sign regardless, I would guesstimate that they have sold around 15-20k but this is just pulling it out of nowhere really, just my experience with SteamCharts and publicly released sales numbers for games in the past.

Yes, yes, I'm aware, I was just trying to guess the sales number from concurrent users... A futile exercise, I know...

Yes, yes, I'm aware, I was just trying to guess the sales number from concurrent users... A futile exercise, I know...

Yeah I guesstimated 15-20k but honestly doccolinni brings up a good point about the length of the game, it could actually be quite a bit higher since people aren't sitting there playing it for 100+ hours like Skyrim or other games.

Considering there are ~87k+ backers muddying the waters; guessing how well it sold by number of people playing consecutively seems like a fools errand. Although I agree, it's fun to guess. At time of writing the game had dropped down to #17 in the best sellers but the good thing with Broken Age is that it gets two release dates, then there will be it's first sale, a permanent price drop, a bundle with other DF games...there are lots of ways for the company to get money from the project in the long term.

Hope we get a ball-park figure in the next update. I mean we will obviously get something because it affects the budget of Part II.

It actually doesn't. The budget of Act II no longer depends on the sales of Act I. That idea is off the table, because it was a bad one from the start. With 'perhaps' and 'maybe' figures, you can't do budgets. DF matched the KS funds with money of their own, so we're talking about approximately $6 million flat for the entire game, and that's it.

At time of writing the game had dropped down to #17 in the best sellers

Actually, it climbed up to #17. It went town to 24-25 and recently went back up again.

And now it's up to #14.

It certainly seems to be sticking near the top of the list.

I think it's doing fine. It's about where I would expect it to be, perhaps even a little higher.

I never really expected it to linger in the top 50 as long as it has really. I somehow assumed, that it would sell like crazy in the first day and then just drop out from the whole top 100. Now it seems to do like any indie hit game is. I'd say BA already is a succress stroy. But I also really hope this issue will be looked in the docu as well, at least in the level of if it's doing better or worse than they hoped.

17th place right now. I don't know what it means in terms of actual sales, but compared to how other similiar games usually performs, and that 90 000 people already hade bought their copies, and that it has had two weeks of preorders, it seems impressive to me.

Apparently, the Topseller-list is revenue based, not sales based (i.e. any game half the price of BA has to sell twice as much to be in the same place). With some more digging, I think it's pretty easy to get a measure on how well it's performing. DayZ sticks on #2 and sells a million copies in a month or ~30k copies a day. It also costs about the same as BA. So if BA stayed near the top of the list for a few days, it has to have sold some solid ten thousand copies already.

Edit: If anyone has any clue how long it stayed in, say, the top 5 (during pre-order period already?), that'd be nice to know. The first time I checked was after release.

On the flip side, there's Garry's Mod, which sold about 50k copies/month or 1.5k copies/day during a time where it was staying around #20 (where BA is now). As it costs about half as much, that means for BA the sales need to be halved; so like 750 copies/day.

In other words, the more often BA peaks, the better, but if it gets steady sales that keep it around #20 for a few months, that's fine too.

In other words, the more often BA peaks, the better, but if it gets steady sales that keep it around #20 for a few months, that's fine too.

Very much doubt that it will stay up there for so long, but the sales seem pretty nice so far, and is sure to have pretty good long tail sales.

Sign in to follow this